Major Meltdown - Rocky Mount - Petersburg 1/8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A short while ago, 53 was reported between Charleston and Savannah. That would mean an arrival time around 5:30-6:00 in a perfect world. Number 52 is past Weldon, probably across the line into Virginia by now. That would mean an optimal arrival time of around 5:00, but that train hasn't reached Richmond, where most of the trouble has been. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not aware of any switch heaters in Richmond, or anywhere in Virginia on the A line, for that matter. I could be wrong. Southerners have a perverse way of denying the existence of winter, even as they freeze their butts off and skid on the ice. Maybe that's why they did so well in the Civil War. (I didn't say that, and I'll swear on a stack of Bibles & Korans that I never did).

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Several times in the last hour, both 52 and 53 were either creeping along or completely stopped (53 was stopped for quite a while just north of Savannah, just before the Savannah River Bridge). 53 hasn't gone over about 10 mph in a long time, but 52 seems to be chugging along nicely.

A post elsewhere from some one who should know. Said the only switch heater on the RF&P is the switch at AF for trains to get on the NS rails. Now the interlocking at Virginia for access to / from WASH Union station "may" have Amtrak heaters.

Now to get pushy. CSX is notorious for not spending money to allow for foul weather ( any kind ) fluid operation. Just let the traffic build up. Cannot imagine NS, UP, BMSF doing that.

Train 52 arrived Lorton some time after 5 pm. I don't know about 53. Both consists will depart late tonight, but both trains are expected to be annulled tomorrow, and will not depart Wednesday, January 11. Check with Amtrak for updated information.

Tom

According to ASM, 52 arrived about 5:30pm ET tonight, so about 8 1/2 hours late. If it gets a rather speedy turnaround, 53(10) COULD get going before midnight.

53 as I type this is in the area of Palatka, so I think it will arrive at SFA around 8:00 ET, for a roughly 11 hour delay. That means at best about a 1:00am to 2:00am departure time for 52(10). Ouch.

I live in Charlottesville and the freezing temperatures of the last couple of days are not that unusual in Virginia. I've experienced longer periods of low temps over the last thirty years. It's part of winter weather, even in the South.

Now whether the host railroads are willing to spend to prepare for freezing weather or just risk the performance hit is another story, and I'm not an expert on that.

At any rate, the temperature has gone above freezing this afternoon, so I should think operations will start to improve.

At 0845 Eastern on Wednesday, 52 of the 10th and 53 of the 10th are both between Florence and Charleston. 53 had departed 6 hrs 15 mins late but it's losing more time on its run. 52 had departed 9 hrs 28 mins late; hard to say when it will get to Lorton. Bottom line, any recovery of lost time today will have to come from fast turnarounds at the terminals.

FWIW overnight temperatures remained above freezing from DC south. Forecast for the next several days is actually warmer than usual for January.

I am on 98 right now and 53 of the 10th, just passed us between Palatka and DeLand, many hours late.

53 of the 10th arrived 7 hours 45 minutes late. As of 1730 Wednesday, 52 of the 10th is near Ashland, Va. so it's arrival will probably be 10 hours late.

Appears 52 and 53 of the 11th were annulled, so it should be back to normal (such as normal is) by this afternoon.

Back