Making Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Making Connections

• Worry, worry, the entire trip.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Accept whatever happens and think of it as an adventure.

• Always stay overnight and make connections the next day.

• Total voters
Since I have some experience with which connections are usually made and not usually made, I would carefully pick and choose which ones I would chance and those not to chance. For example, I would book a same day connection from the Southwest Chief to the Starlight at Los Angeles, but not from the Sunset Limited to the Starlight since I know that one is usually not made (although the last six of these have actually connected, impressively enough).

Finally, even though I do tend to worry a little about making connections, I have learned it is better not to and to just accept whatever happens as an adventure, go with it, and ultimately try to make the best of it. Have fun! B)

The few times that I've made a connection, it really depended on the train. If I was connecting from the Empire Builder, I would only worry if it was less than an hour layover. However, with something like the Coast Starlight, which regularly misses its Portland connection to the Builder, I'd most likely plan on an overnight in the connection city.

I usually like to overnight it. I once had a 3 pm connection to the San Diegans from the Sunset Limited. You all know what happened. What made matters a little worse, I was meeting my girllfriend in San Dieago so that we could go to the zoo that night.

So . . . when we were hours late coming into Palm Springs I got my cell phone out and rented a car at the airport there and had a cab meet me at the station. It worked perfectly. The cab was pulling up as the train arrived.

After a two or three hour drive, I was in San Diego in time for dinner and a date at the zoo. :D

I also like the overnight idea. I've done this several times in the past, and it's a nice way to relax and explore your connecting city for an evening, then get a good rest for your train journey.

Overnighting REALLY makes sense if you were, or are going to be, in coach. It gives you a chance for a really good night's sleep, you will not wake up feeling like a pretzel, and you can have a nice long shower (not available at all in coach, of course) in something which is bigger than a midget-size phone booth and also doesn't leave you feeling genuine kinship (or at least empathy) with a martini that just emerged from a cocktail shaker.

Aloha

Before you upin or whatever. What I would Like to say is I worry before hand and try to know a close schedule before leaving. But once the trip begins I enjoy. On my last trip every flight, train, was late, even a hurricane made one stop unavailable, but I loved it. Now only I need the money to go again, which way to the trains. :D :rolleyes:

Back