making payment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greg1956a

Train Attendant
What is the best way to make a payment for your trip.is it online or thru a live agent this is mm y first of trip on Amtrak thanks

Greg

However you feel comfortable. I've done it online when booking online, giving my CC number to phone agent when calling and paying at a station both when buying a ticket there or when paying for a ticket purchased over the phone.

Either way. More important to me is that when I get a sleeper I always use a phone agent to be able to choose my room, because there are rooms I don't want (transdorm, downstairs). I have no issue with giving the agent my CC. When I book coach, I use the website and use my CC there, too.

Bear in mind that you have to pay the way you reserve. If you reserve on the website, you have to pay on the website. If you reserve via a phone agent, you have to pay via the phone agent. Although for the phone agent, you do not have to pay at the same time. Amtrak will hold reservations for up to 7 days, depending on how far from departure you are, and the train (NEC apparently allows shorter holds).

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind if you choose to make a reservation and pay later you need to pay before boarding for that reservation price to be honored. If you pay the Conductor they will charge you the highest possible fare. That rule went into effect back in November or so.

Bear in mind that you have to pay the way you reserve. If you reserve on the website, you have to pay on the website. If you reserve via a phone agent, you have to pay via the phone agent. Although for the phone agent, you do not have to pay at the same time. Amtrak will hold reservations for up to 7 days, depending on how far from departure you are, and the train (NEC apparently allows shorter holds).
That's not quite correct. If you reserve by phone you cannot later pay by the website, but you can pay at a station or by phone.

That's not quite correct. If you reserve by phone you cannot later pay by the website, but you can pay at a station or by phone.
That's true, and I used to do that a lot before eTickets, since there is a staffed station about 10 minutes from where I work. I just kind of forgot about it now with eTickets and I don't have to physically pick them up (or have them mailed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back