Man Sentenced to prison for Amtrak bomb Threats

• Thread starter Guest_Fan_Trains
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_Fan_Trains

From Trains.com:

Madison, Wis - Five Bomb Threats against Amtrak's Empire Builder last summer will cost an Anchorage, Alaska processor nearly 4 years in prison, a federal judge said Tuesday, according to a story in the Wisconsin State Journal. Michael Conwill, 35, said i August that he made the threats because he was angry at being served food that contained hot peppers while traveling on the train. He claimed the peppers caused an allergic reaction that forced him to be hospitalized briefly in Minot, N. Dak.

here is the rest of the link

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Arti...05/519dwcwx.asp

Guest_Fan_Trains said:
From Trains.com:

Madison, Wis - Five Bomb Threats against Amtrak's Empire Builder last summer will cost an Anchorage, Alaska processor nearly 4 years in prison, a federal judge said Tuesday, according to a story in the Wisconsin State Journal. Michael Conwill, 35, said i August that he made the threats because he was angry at being served food that contained hot peppers while traveling on the train. He claimed the peppers caused an allergic reaction that forced him to be hospitalized briefly in Minot, N. Dak.

here is the rest of the link

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Arti...05/519dwcwx.asp
This is a small example of the partnerships which exist between railroad police organizations and public safety law enforcement agencies (federal, state, and local) nationwide. Vigilance is a must around the rails! Amtrak has an explosives threat procedure in place. This shows it does work when carried out properly.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Amtrak has an explosives threat procedure in place.
This should read and was meant to say;

"Amtrak has an explosives threat procedure in place on board the trains as well."

This is why as OBS and T & E employees we are asked to remain vigilant, and report anything or anyone we find suspicious. In this case police dispatchers must have been the first parties notified of the threat, and they obviously followed their procedures properly.

I still don't get how the courts could give this guy 4 years prison (rightfully so) but comparably sentence the remorseless jerk who derailed the Sunset Limited and killed people to even less time... The courts work in mysterious ways. At least this sentencing was a good example of justice at its best.

jccollins said:
I still don't get how the courts could give this guy 4 years prison (rightfully so) but comparably sentence the remorseless jerk who derailed the Sunset Limited and killed people to even less time... The courts work in mysterious ways. At least this sentencing was a good example of justice at its best.
Well you just said it yourself! "The courts work in mysterious ways" It is true, though not always fair. I agree with you regarding the guy who was responsible for that Sunset derailment should have been locked "under the jail!"

Back