Maple Leaf Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

savoirfaire

Train Attendant
Quick question...I see from previous discussion that the Maple Leaf runs both Amfleet I and II cars. (Note: I have only been in BC on this train) Are the Amfleet IIs only used for the NYP-Toronto customers, or do they allow people who are at interim stops (SYR) to sit in the Amfleet II coaches?

TIA,

Sav

In trains like the Maple Leaf, they are used for long term pax... those going most or all of the route while the AFIs are used for the short-term pax.

So no, it isn't exclusive. You don't have to go between the terminal points to sit there-- but if you're on there for a long time they'll probably give you a seat there. I don't know about NYP-SYR pax, but I would imagine you could get an Amfleet II seat.

When I rode it 2 weeks ago there were 2 Amfleet II's in the back of the train. One car is for those going to Montreal. The other one was pretty empty so you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat in there. The rest of the train was AMI

I may just take my chances then...I just can't see sitting in a AMI coach seat for 5.5 or more hours and being terribly comfortable.

I may just take my chances then...I just can't see sitting in a AMI coach seat for 5.5 or more hours and being terribly comfortable.
I'm quite fine with it and I'm 5'10" and quite... paunchy. AMFI coach seats aren't horrible, the smaller windows are my biggest problem with them versus the AFIIs.

If the Maple Leaf is handled anything like the Adirondack, then the two AMF II coaches will be off limits to anyone not going over the border. Customs seems to like the idea that only two coaches carry passengers over the border, with the Maple Leaf exception that allows BC passengers to remain in their BC seats.

So again assuming that they handle the Leaf like the Adirondack, no one who is not going over the border will be permitted in the AMF II cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adirondack runs two of each type of cars, with a cafe smooshed in between, while the Maple Leaf runs a AMF I coach, three AMF II coaches, and a AMF 1 Club Dinette. So the consists differ alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back