Maple Leaf NYP to TWO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernServesTheSouth

Service Attendant
I just priced tickets for 2 adults and 1 child from New York to Toronto on the Maple Leaf.

If I price from NYP to TWO on the Maple Leaf it will cost $365.00. But, if I price from NYP to Niagra Falls it is $155.00 and the price from Niagra Falls to Toronto is $130.00 for a total of $285.00.

This is the same train. Will I have to get off in NFL and reboard, probably getting the same seats, or can I just stay on board and pull out the other set of tickets. But to save $80.00 I will get off and reboard if necessary.

You will not have to get off the train. Just let the conductor know what your plans are. People

use multiple tickets for the same train all the time. Congrats on finding a way to save money!

Would there be any Customs and Immigration considerations to be concerned about?

Something AlanB told me, though, is that you'll only get AGR points for the first leg. SO - that would mean that you would only get 310 (620 if you're getting double points) rather than 730 (1460 with DP). If $80 is worth 840 points, then you may want to factor that in. (Note: AGR's price for 1000 points is currently $27.50) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be aware that there are 2 stations at Niagra Falls, USA and Canada. Also, when I rode in January everyone had to get off the train with luggage and go through Customs.

Customs didn't seem to care about train tickets, they want to know your plans for entering the country, they never looked at my actual train tickets so I don't think that would be any issue.

Coming southbound I've even done split tickets VIA tickets to NFL (this saved me quite a bit of money making my trip on the Canadian tax free) and a an amtrak multi-city ticket with other trains back to New York with less then 24 hour layovers in BFX, ROC and SYR.

Got VIA Preference points for the VIA segment, 100 AGR points for my short NYP to BFX segment.

You can also save an extra 15% on your New York State segment, google the I love NY amtrak discount 2013 (posting via iPhone otherwise I'd provide a link)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back