Maple Leaf question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm booked on the VIA rail Canadian leaving Toronto at 22:00 on Oct 2nd. I wanted to take the Amtrak Maple leaf to Toronto the same day, it's scheduled to arrive at 19:45, but I'm worried because if it's late I'll miss the departure of the Canadian. Can anyone tell me if the Maple leaf usually runs on time or if there is any known construction planned on Oct 2nd? The other option is to fly to Toronto, but I'd much rather take the train.

VIA rail tells me as long as the Maple Leaf arrives before 21:45 we will be fine.

Don't forget that the border crossing can delay this train considerably on certain days, depending on how quickly the authorities clear the passengers. I would go a day ahead of the Canadian departure. You don't want to miss a three-times-a-week train.

When I took the trip last December, I did not try to connect the same day, even though in hindsight, it would have worked, but you never know. (I spent the night in Toronto and had a very pleasant day roaming around town).

On the Maple Leaf, we were delayed at customs because a Canadian woman (whose first language was neither French or English) did not fill out her customs papers properly. Her daughter had purchased a lot of gifts for her and the woman did not know the cost of such items to declare them. Consequently, she was required to remove everything from each of her 2 very large suitcases so the customs officials could examine everything. If our train was full, I think we could have been delayed more than 2 hours.

Thanks for the info!! I want to travel the day prior but my travel companion insists on doing the same day connection. VIA rail didn't help matters when they told her "the Mapleleaf is never very late, you'll befine making a same day connection."

Even of we made the connection, worrying about would probably ruin my Maple leaf trip!!

Do we change into a Canadian train at the border or does Amtrak take us the whole way??

Last edited by a moderator:
pennyk said:
1342712209[/url]' post='381270']When I took the trip last December, I did not try to connect the same day, even though in hindsight, it would have worked, but you never know. (I spent the night in Toronto and had a very pleasant day roaming around town).

On the Maple Leaf, we were delayed at customs because a Canadian woman (whose first language was neither French or English) did not fill out her customs papers properly. Her daughter had purchased a lot of gifts for her and the woman did not know the cost of such items to declare them. Consequently, she was required to remove everything from each of her 2 very large suitcases so the customs officials could examine everything. If our train was full, I think we could have been delayed more than 2 hours.

Since you've done the same trip before, do you have any tips? I booked a lower berth sleeper when they had the 60% off sale a few weeks ago.

Since you've done the same trip before, do you have any tips? I booked a lower berth sleeper when they had the 60% off sale a few weeks ago.
I traveled alone and got a room for 2 for just me (at 75% off) and I was happy as a clam. I thought everything about the trip was first class. I spent most of my time in the Park Car and I made fast friends with my fellow passengers. I might have been the only woman traveling alone the entire route, but I never felt "alone." The scenery was magnificient - especially the snow. I am a lifelong Floridian and snow is "foreign" to me. In fact, when I first saw snow outside my window on the Maple Leaf just east of Buffalo, I thought it was sand. (and I made the mistake of mentioning this to the_traveler, and he has not let me live it down). After Winnipeg, there was a freight derailment and our train was considerably delayed, but we were kept informed by the crew. At one time, it looked like I was going to miss my connection to the Cascades in Vancouver and I was assured that VIA staff would do whatever they could to assist me. It turns out that we made up some time and were not 10 hours late - only about 7 hours late.

The people that I spoke to that were in lower berths seem to have no complaints. In fact, I did not hear any complaints - even when we were running 10 hours late. Being late had the benefit of seeing Frasier Canyon in daylight hours, however, we missed Jasper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back