Maple Leaf through fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Train2104

OBS Chief
A quick check shows the Maple Leaf NYP-NFL to be $66 low bucket. Reasonable. But once I cross the border, VIA adds $40, and to go all the way to Toronto costs $157.

Any hints to get around this massive fare jump? One idea was to walk across the border and take GO Transit, but I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
$66 + $40 = $104. How'd you come up with $157?

<edit> Wait, I see now, I think. Depends on the date of travel. Looking at the cheapest coach fares posted:

12 Jun to NFL = $124 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

13 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

14 Jun to NFL = $93 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

15 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

16 Jun to NFL = $93 and to TWO = $157 but NFL to TWO = $47

17 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

So the extra cost to go all the way to TWO could be $2, $33, $60, or $64. Nifty, huh?

What date of travel were you looking at?

$66 + $40 = $104. How'd you come up with $157?

<edit> Wait, I see now, I think. Depends on the date of travel. Looking at the cheapest coach fares posted:

12 Jun to NFL = $124 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

13 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

14 Jun to NFL = $93 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

15 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

16 Jun to NFL = $93 and to TWO = $157 but NFL to TWO = $47

17 Jun to NFL = $66 and to TWO = $126 but NFL to TWO = $33

So the extra cost to go all the way to TWO could be $2, $33, $60, or $64. Nifty, huh?

What date of travel were you looking at?
I was looking for some random date in mid-September, since I didn't want buckets in the mix, but I guess it matters...

Now that I look at the dates on which I may actually want to travel (July 27, 28, or 29) I see that it's $157 on Friday and $126 on the other two days, with the same $66 NFL fare.

One of the best bargains in Business Class is on this train which includes the 2x1 Seating and is located in the Cafe car from NYP-to the Border. ( it crosses the Whirlpool Bridge and stops at the VIA Station for Canadian Border procedures.)

It used to be + $1 added to the Rail Fare from Niagara Falls,ON to TWO and you received 2 Paper tickets,Amtrak NYP-Border/VIA Border-TWO.I could be wrong but I believe it's now $2 and you receive a e-ticket???

Technically there is no Biz Class on this train in Canada which uses Amtrak equipment from NYP-TWO, but changes Crews and Cafe products ( the Canadians,serve Coke!!!) at the Customs and Immigration Stop @ the VIA Station in Niagara Falls,ON and becomes a VIA train to/from TWO.

Coming back the USA Staff @ the Border stop on the NY side are among the most aggressive and rudest I've ever expierenced!

As for using GO transit between the border and TWO, its EZ-PZ but GO only runs Trains on the weekend during the "Season" between TWO and the Border, otherwise it's a Bus. The Bus Station on the Canadian side is located across the street from the VIA Station.

Back