Maple Leaf / Ticketing Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamn

Train Attendant
I recently booked some one way business class tickets from NYC to Niagara Falls, Ontario. We had intended to stop off a night and then carry on to Toronto the next day.

Our plans have changed though and now we want to carry on straight through to Toronto. What is the best way to do this? Simply buy extra tickets to cover the Niagara - Toronto section the same day or cancel and start again on a through ticket?

You have 2 options:

Call and Modify,Not Cancel, your Rez to continue to Toronto on the same train.

Technically there is No Biz Class on the VIA version of the Maple Leaf from Niagara Falls,ON to Toronto, but they only charge $1 Plus the Rail Fare to continue on the Biz Class car to Toronto from the Border for those already ticketed in Biz Class on the Amtrak version of the Maple Leaf from New York.

2)Catch a Bus @ the Bus Station across the Street from the VIA Station to Toronto, either a GO Transit Bus ( on weekends they run Trains to/from Toronto) or a Regular Scheduled Bus.

Option #1 is Best by Far!

There is another option. Buy a VIA ticket from VIA Rail Canada for Niagara Falls to Toronto and leave your Amtrak ticket as is.

There is another option. Buy a VIA ticket from VIA Rail Canada for Niagara Falls to Toronto and leave your Amtrak ticket as is.
That is an option but you may pay more including the GST, and can only ride in Coach since Biz Class doesnt exist on this VIA Route. Option #1 is still the way to Roll IMO!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not true that you will pay more using VIA, but it is true about only coach on VIA. I picked a random date next week. Feb 13. Business class from New York to Niagara Falls ON $121. $160 all the way to Toronto $160. VIA is $24.86 Canadian including tax. At todays exchange rate $19.89 US Dollars. That is a total of $140.89, $121 +$19.89. $19.11 less than Amtrak tickets all the way but it will be coach the last 2 hours. It may be different on other days.

Yeah I just called Amtrak to change it. It was a fair bit more than VIA for some reason, but anyway, we got to stay in business.

Back