Maricopa Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jccollins

Conductor
A while back there was a post about the problems Amtrak's Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle trains were causing by blocking the highway for periods of nearly 1/2 hour while making multiple stops at Maricopa's very short passenger platform. The county was, reportedly, taking action against Amtrak and there was supposed to be some sort of meeting to determine the station's fate... does anyone know what the outcome of this was?

;)

jccollins said:
Sorry, jccollins, but I've checked through my usual sources and I can't find anything relating to the issue you mentioned. There is plenty out there about the fact that Maricopa is 30 miles from Phoenix and lacks a bus connection, but nothing about the trains blocking the grade crossing.

I am sure we would have heard something if Maricopa's status as a stop for the combined Sunset/Eagle had changed.

Thanks for your response, Diner. I am referring to a post by zenu on trainorders.com back on May 14, 2003. You can find it at the following address: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read...i=75567&t=75567 I haven't heard any updates since reading the post. The original post is as follows, but there are quite a few posts replying after this original one:

Fate of Maricopa to be set Fri.

Author: zenu 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A meeting between Amtrak, ADOT and Pinal County will probably determine the survival of this stop.

Amtrak is asking the State and County to fund needed improvements to the station platform. The current platform is long enough for at most two carefully spotted cars. The platforms location also results in the Sunset blocking Maricopa Rd for up to 20 minutes while checked baggage and multiple passenger stops are made. This is a real problem on Monday and Thursday mornings when the blocked crossing has resulted in delays to school busses. As a result the State has threatened to fine Amtrak $5,000 each time the crossing is blocked longer than 10 minutes.

Amtrak is seeking approx $100,000 for the improvements and as Amtrak isn't a professional sports team, golf course, or Wallmart looking for tax breaks on a new unneeded super store, I don't expect the odds are very go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back