Maximum sleeper room occupancy for daytime only use

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveSFL

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Can someone refresh my memory on maximum occupancy of bedroom/family bedroom for a paid daytime trip? This would be for four adults from LAX-EMY on the Coast Starlight.

Could all four of us use one regular bedroom? Would the fare be the 4x the coach fare plus one "bedroom" upcharge and would that then include the meals for all four people?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The standards manual I have a copy of (from a few years back) says yes, you can do that- up to four adults in a bedroom for non-berth service, the cost is rail fare (low bucket coach fare, not current coach fare) for each passenger and one accommodation charge, and "Each person in the room, up to the maximum permitted, will receive complimentary meals in the Dining Car."

As far as I know, this still applies.

Yep, shouldn't be a problem unless something has changed recently. Since you're asking about fares, I assume you're talking a paid reservation. AGR redemptions are only good for the recommended capacity in the room, not the max capacity.

OK, 1st strike. The person I just talked to said, "Oh, no, you couldn't put 4 people in a regular bedroom because there aren't even enough seats. There is only room for three people." I countered that the couch has room for three and then the extra chair would make four, but that was a no-go.

She did say that we could do the Family Bedroom with four people.

Thinking that she thought I was trying to get overnight sleeping accommodations, I reiterated that this would be for daytime use only. She said there is no difference in capacity between daytime and nighttime.

I will call again later.

She was technically correct that day or night doesn't matter, it's the intended use of the room. That's what the bit at the bottom I cut off says:

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1440369830.069551.jpg

That's the Oct 2014 version 8.1, which may have been superseded, but it's the newest I've seen released.

And if using "non-berth" doesn't work, ask for a supervisor.

That way, they can (re)train the employee on the non-berth booking rules/process.

Well stupid me, I didn't think to check to see for my trip that 2 roomettes with two people each is cheaper than 4 people in one bedroom anyway:

4 adult @ $62 plus 2 roomette @ $109 = $466

4 adult @ $62 plus 1 bedroom @ $236 = $484

With roomettes we can try to get across from each other to be guaranteed a view.

Thanks for all of the advice though.

I countered that the couch has room for three and then the extra chair would make four, but that was a no-go.
While I have never personally encountered such, but I have read posts here over the years that sometimes the "extra chair" is missing in the bedroom. Is this actually a possibility? I would worry that if the "extra chair" could be missing, it would be the time I had 4 people booked.

I would worry that if the "extra chair" could be missing, it would be the time I had 4 people booked.
While I think it's possible to remove that chair in a Superliner Bedroom, I don't think it's considered an "extra" chair. it's really the only one in that type of sleeper and when both beds are made up for the night it's the only other place to sit down - except for the commode and the lower bunk. I'd find something else to worry about.

She was technically correct that day or night doesn't matter, it's the intended use of the room. That's what the bit at the bottom I cut off says:

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1440369830.069551.jpg

That's the Oct 2014 version 8.1, which may have been superseded, but it's the newest I've seen released.
It reads the same in 8.2 revision 2, 4/30/15. Of course Service Standards is an onboard manual for train service and onbaord service. She might have something different in whatever they use. There could be a difference in what is allowed on the train and what is allowed to be booked.

Thanks, I'll have to get a new copy.

In theory, I would be amazed if one could book more people into the room onboard than you could over the phone, but I'm prepared to believe pretty much anything when Amtrak is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back