May 2024 Eastern Loop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Septa9739

Lead Service Attendant
This year’s loop trip was a short one May 20-25, 2024. Departure was Monday aboard Train 19, the Crescent. I thought for a second I wasn’t going to make it. There were problems on the NEC that seemed to have closed the eastbound inside track. As a result several Amtrak trains passed me on the outside track as I waited for SEPTA to appear, ultimately 17 late. Thirtieth Street was busy, or just seemed that way due to the construction, but a lot was happening in quick succession. The three o’clock hour sees maybe 7 Amtrak trains, and several others were delayed into it. Consist was three Amfleet II, the cafe, two sleepers, one bag dorm. Thank goodness for the dinner coming back. The cafe was very busy attending both sides. I experienced nothing but hospitality from the cafe staff, no strange rules at all. The “Crew Club,” was largely held to three tables. An odd operational bit was they wanted to see my ticket like every crew change. At that point, why bother with the check?

Boarding was, as it usually is when I walk onto a long hauler, a disaster. As nicely as possible, a pair of women were seated at my assignment. I asked if they were assigned there (because I once had the noble distinction of being one of several suitors for a particular seat on the California Zephyr). They said yes, I, trusting that, seeing the army coming down the aisle, jumped one row back, wrecking the chart, causing chaos. We departed. The attendant derided us in a manner most consistent with our dignity as both the paying passenger and the loss covering taxpayer, let alone as people. As we pull through University City, one of my friends from earlier quips to the other: “I think our seats were actually up there.” Thank goodness for social standards; I could have dumped the both of them out the back of the train. The rest of the evening was uneventful. After the train left Washington, I successfully negotiated for the seat I was originally assigned, as my substitute was the windowless row. The crowds were amazed. I tamed the rabid coach attendant. I’ll offer a comment on that idea broadly when I wrap up. It’s amazing what please, thank you, and the subjunctive mood can get you. We got along quite well for the rest of the ride and I will likely leave her a nice review if I’m sent one. She was diligent, direct, and actually keep the coach very clean. I too would likely scream if I had to deal with adults who can’t successfully match a symbol on a paper to one above a seat.

The train was packed from Alexandria and trickled out as we went south. My seat mate was bound for Danville, VA and I had no partner the whole rest of the way to NOLA. My next case of a loony came at Charlotte. Train arrived 21 early at 2:09, with a scheduled departure at 2:55. Now I was riding with several people with foot-in-mouth syndrome who also didn’t get the whole quiet hours concept. The best though was this guy who got up demanded to know from the conductor (in the middle of the aisle at 02:45) as to why we weren’t moving. The conductor politely explained we were just holding for time, but that seemed to annoy the guy more. The conductor then asked if he was annoyed that the train was on time. He said yes. The conductor reminded him he was most free to leave the train if he liked and went about his morning. A fascinating encounter.

Everybody and his brother got off at Atlanta and very few boarded. I had heard of this phenomenon but never seen it. Some good perspective for future comments on service to Atlanta. We left Anniston approximately punctually. I thought for just a moment I might be on the unicorn, the punctual Crescent. Alabama is beautiful. Within a few miles of Birmingham disaster struck. There were suddenly trains everywhere. The conductor announced that there were trains in front of, besides, and behind us. We sat for two hours in congestion. We then lost time on every stop into Slidell, save Tuscaloosa, arriving NOLA 10:55 PM, way later than I would have cared for. I will speak more to this in future posts but I think Amtrak somewhat mischaracterizes FTI as merely the Class I’s are evil. I didn’t get the sense here. What was happening was very obviously demand for infrastructure outpacing supply, just like road congestion. Most of the traffic was coming at us. I saw nothing near adequate space for passing the whole rest of the way to Birmingham. They somehow got us to the head of the line. Once everything was clear, we were the first through. I don’t think smaller freights would have helped. The sheer car volume was so great. I think, and I’m open to be educated on this, the real thing the government should be doing isn’t worrying about priority here (I think they can make a strong legal good faith argument they did), but rather insisting NS resolve the congestion on yes a passenger corridor certainly, but also a corridor of strategic interest. If there were need of a wartime mobilization, that corridor could not meet the demand of the many military installations and factories along it. It couldn’t handle Tuesday, just Tuesday, and apparently hasn’t been able to for years. Local connection to the RTA was fine. I was excited for the streetcars, but I think I’ll keep my Kawasaki’s and PCC’s if I may.

Part II to follow

Last edited:
The next leg was the City of New Orleans. This was the uneventful run of the trip. I was rather annoyed that the third coach was closed, the train was busy but not jammed, so I guess it’s a question of perspective. One coach handled Chicago and Memphis. The other coach handled everywhere else (which pretty much meant Jackson). I have no idea who the coach attendant was. I don’t know if that’s for better or worse. Seating up the line became a little chaotic, but the coach stayed mostly functional for most of the run. NB: THERE WAS SCUTTLEBUTT ON THE PLATFORM ABOUT ENFORCING THE BAGGAGE POLICY. I know nothing more than over hearing, “They’re working at it.” I actually will retract my prior statement. I think the coach attendant was the one who complained about having to help people with their many bags. I have thoughts on that but for another venue.

Departure was punctual. Some delay was picked up along Lake Pontchartrain. I didn’t mind and was able to see an alligator lurking in the shadows, looking for a kill. There were also many birds, including swans floating around. After passing 59, we maintained track speed through Jackson. I was disappointed that I could not identify the Bonnet-Carre Spillway in the moment but now know it’s the site of the I-10 Bridge. I had a seat mate next to me most of the way. The Brookhaven Station was clearly discernible by it’s massive smokestack. I’d love to learn the story there. Between Greenville and Marks we encountered a strong thunderstorm for about half an hour. It knocked out the cafe’s computer service. It was an impressive sight from the top of the SSL. I had no idea how empty and impoverished Northern Mississippi is.

I dozed off around Memphis and woke up all but crushed against the window by a giant who boarded in Fulton (I guess). If only there were say a third, empty coach somewhere on the train within eyesight even… I was a proud no center armrest advocate. My position may be evolving. Then somebody boarded with their baby at Carbondale at 3:11, which baby did not like, and who could blame him or her. I’m a grown adult and I was a little cranky getting on and off trains at awful hours of the night. I decided to go sleep in the SSL, a good option that I should better remember. The Carbondale crew clearly liked alliteration, reminding us that the “Comfortably cruising customer carrying contraption would be coming into the happily happening hamlet of Homewood.” in 5 minutes. Very Charming on vacation in the Midwest- that would have drove me nuts at home. We arrived Chicago 25 early, at 8:50. I chose that day to take advantage of my annual AGR lounge pass, and enjoyed the very nice showers in the Metropolitan Lounge. This was the all around most pleasant leg of the journey. The crews were lovely, the other passengers fine, a simply pleasant run. I will say if I sprung for a sleeper, I would have been peeved by the food. Sleeper passengers are allotted 1 entree (salads count) and one side, but limitless soft drinks. For what they pay, they should be allowed whatever they want out of that glorified snackbar.

Last edited:
Good reporting! And, I learned some things that might be useful.

The observations about the load factors by segment lead to the idea that when we talk about second trains on long-distance routes it might be best to ask first for second trains on high-traffic segments. That saves on capital for rolling stock and infrastructure improvements.

Good reporting! And, I learned some things that might be useful.

The observations about the load factors by segment lead to the idea that when we talk about second trains on long-distance routes it might be best to ask first for second trains on high-traffic segments. That saves on capital for rolling stock and infrastructure improvements.
Chicago - Kansas City, Chicago - Omaha / Denver are some examples of high traffic segments that might benefit from second trains.

The third leg of this trip was aboard Train 50, the Cardinal. Departure was scheduled for 5:55. About an hour prior a message was sent out suggesting a delay on origination of up to 90 minutes due to late turn of equipment. The lounge staff indicated it was indeed mechanical failure in the yard. I never really got clarification on what exactly went wrong. The train showed at about 7:00 and we were off by 7:15. An unfortunately afflicted couple of people make boarding a little dramatic, but such is life. Coach was packed, maybe three seats open between the two coaches. I try not to make opinions about service planning from infrequent trips, but I think the Cardinal needs a third coach. I have no idea how they did assignments, but it seemed to work. I had a seat mate through Charlottesville, looking to change to Roanoke. Consist was typical P42 4, two Amfleet II, cafe, Viewliner II sleeper, Viewliner II Bag-dorm. Except for that giant CSX locomotive up front. That was a little odd (but not the first time I’ve encountered such a phenomenon). The story started to come together. The train arrived not having been wyed, so that was the first order of business was to wye the train. Simple operation, but the CSX locomotive failed.

Or so we thought. During the hour they putzed around with it, the conductor was excellent. He announced that he was the point of contact for questions and concerns not the OBS staff and that he could be found in the sleeper side of the cafe. I walked down just as the informed him it was a PTC issue. He was not pleased, especially, as I learned, because he told the engineer to call and get permission for a PTC override before we left. That particular wye was not in the CSX program. Very annoying. Very Amtrak. The conductor also told me to expect no loss of time through Indianapolis due to the freight equipment. Apparently in that division freight and passenger speeds are identical. The OBS people kept trying to tell the conductors to annul the train at Charlottesville for most of the run, which is one a stupid idea and two, very annoying to a Philly passenger. Otherwise the OBS guys were a riot. The cafe attendant seemed concerned when I got a half bottle of wine with only one cup right out of Chicago, but I knew what was going down. It was going to be one of those trips. I just wanted to be prepared.

The night saw some freight interruptions (about 20 minutes worth), but after padding at Indianapolis, we broke even over that division. Again I was a little disappointed that Amtrak began characterizing the delay as mechanical issue and FTI. I don’t think that’s fair. The train was three hours late going over a one track railroad. The slot was so blown it wasn’t funny. They don’t seriously expect the Class I’s to just have the railroad perfectly open 24/7/365 regardless of when the train’s due? The train was 3:30 late, only about 30 of it was FTI. In any case, I got to see Oxford, Ohio. They should definitely get that new station. It’s a happening hamlet as the crew of the CONO would say. I also got to see Cincinnati by day for the first time, as well as the Kentucky bit of the Ohio valley, which was spectacular. We lost no time from Indianapolis to Huntington.

At Huntington, we needed to return to CSX their locomotive. The actual setting out was fairly straight forward, but it took some time to get the P42 ready to lead. This inspires a question: Why didn’t Chicago pop the CSX on the tail end rather than leave it on the head end. We could have avoided the PTC debacle. The setting out would have been easier. The rest of West Virginia, flowed beautifully. The train was dumped out at Charlottesville and never really recovered. Presumably people were rebooked to 66. The trek to Washington was smooth. We made up a little time.

At Washington power change went smoothly enough, but I had a new problem. I was relying on a Septa connection at 30th Street, no connection was possible. I found the conductor and asked if he would be so kind as to let me ride to Trenton. He was relieved all I wanted was Trenton. I probably could have got a flag stop at a SEPTA platform, but it takes a Keystone stopping Cornwells Heights an extra 13 minutes to get from Philly to Trenton. I didn’t want to inflict that or something similar on everyone else. Easiest negotiation table I’ve ever sat at. They had no one else for Trenton that night and were probably planning just to do the quick whistle stop they often do at the smaller places in West Virginia.

Silly me thought there would be no further delays over the NEC. That was a nice idea. There was a ton of construction. We also seemed to hit a drag detector around Odenton, adding another half hour of delay. Arrival Trenton was at 2:10. I thanked the conductor and he admonished me to “be real careful up there.” For those who haven’t been, the Trenton Transit Center is, always was, and apparently always will be sketchy. Even when Trenton was a much nicer city, the PRR station was sketchy. If you visit, do so during the day. The police keep order well inside, but once you cross that door…

In any case, it was a great trip, not as relaxing as I had hoped, especially considering I picked up whatever bug my whole coach on the Crescent had, but certainly a memorable loop, and a cheap one at that. In a couple days I think I’ll put up some thoughts and reflections on the trip broadly.

The next leg was the City of New Orleans. This was the uneventful run of the trip. I was rather annoyed that the third coach was closed, the train was busy but not jammed, so I guess it’s a question of perspective. One coach handled Chicago and Memphis. The other coach handled everywhere else (which pretty much meant Jackson). I have no idea who the coach attendant was. I don’t know if that’s for better or worse. Seating up the line became a little chaotic, but the coach stayed mostly functional for most of the run. NB: THERE WAS SCUTTLEBUTT ON THE PLATFORM ABOUT ENFORCING THE BAGGAGE POLICY. I know nothing more than over hearing, “They’re working at it.” I actually will retract my prior statement. I think the coach attendant was the one who complained about having to help people with their many bags. I have thoughts on that but for another venue.

Departure was punctual. Some delay was picked up along Lake Pontchartrain. I didn’t mind and was able to see an alligator lurking in the shadows, looking for a kill. There were also many birds, including swans floating around. After passing 59, we maintained track speed through Jackson. I was disappointed that I could not identify the Bonnet-Carre Spillway in the moment but now know it’s the site of the I-10 Bridge. I had a seat mate next to me most of the way. The Brookhaven Station was clearly discernible by it’s massive smokestack. I’d love to learn the story there. Between Greenville and Marks we encountered a strong thunderstorm for about half an hour. It knocked out the cafe’s computer service. It was an impressive sight from the top of the SSL. I had no idea how empty and impoverished Northern Mississippi is.

I dozed off around Memphis and woke up all but crushed against the window by a giant who boarded in Fulton (I guess). If only there were say a third, empty coach somewhere on the train within eyesight even… I was a proud no center armrest advocate. My position may be evolving. Then somebody boarded with their baby at Carbondale at 3:11, which baby did not like, and who could blame him or her. I’m a grown adult and I was a little cranky getting on and off trains at awful hours of the night. I decided to go sleep in the SSL, a good option that I should better remember. The Carbondale crew clearly liked alliteration, reminding us that the “Comfortably cruising customer carrying contraption would be coming into the happily happening hamlet of Homewood.” in 5 minutes. Very Charming on vacation in the Midwest- that would have drove me nuts at home. We arrived Chicago 25 early, at 8:50. I chose that day to take advantage of my annual AGR lounge pass, and enjoyed the very nice showers in the Metropolitan Lounge. This was the all around most pleasant leg of the journey. The crews were lovely, the other passengers fine, a simply pleasant run. I will say if I sprung for a sleeper, I would have been peeved by the food. Sleeper passengers are allotted 1 entree (salads count) and one side, but limitless soft drinks. For what they pay, they should be allowed whatever they want out of that glorified snackbar.
Great report, thanks..

Back