mc cain's agenda on amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting reading. It's unfortunate that despite his earlier rhetoric that Amtrak needed to show signs of progress before getting a commitment to funding, he continued to block such funding even after he acknowleged that efficiency had improved.

This combined with the increase in ridership would be something you would think a candidate would pay attention to. Troubling to say the least.

That link does not point at the Globe, though there's mention of it being from the Globe at the end. Maybe a Globe piece got reprinted in a Seattle paper?

That article does talk about `` $20 million for the next generation of high-speed rail''. I'm sort of baffled as to what useful thing towards high speed rail can be bought for a mere $20 million. Killing that might actually be something McCain did right (although a more right thing would have been to adjust the number towards $200 billion instead of zero, and perhaps slightly redirect the money to make sure it's spent well).

Last edited by a moderator:
McCain has all but handed Obama a golden spike to beat him over the head with.
I hope Obama does beat Mccain over the head with this. Mccain would have no choice but to support Amtrak.

A win for Amtrak reguardless who wins.

McCain seems to have a personal hatred for Amtrak and always has. Nothing will change that.

Maybe he was peeved when they started serving Pepsi products...............or some surly LSA made him cry...... :unsure:

I doubt McCain has ever traveled on Amtrak. Very few of our elected officials in Washington ever travel on Amtrak. I was on an Acela that Dick Gephart, former congressman from MO was on and he definitely supported Amtrak and expansion of Acela type trains throughout the US. Representatives need to ride the trains in their district to see reality!

I doubt McCain has ever traveled on Amtrak.
John McCain has certainly never traveled on Amtrak. At one point a few years ago he made a statement that basically said "Why should I support Amtrak when it doesn't even serve my state?". Apparently he didn't even know that the Southwest Chief visits his state twice every day and that the Sunset Limited visits it six times each week.

John McCain has certainly never traveled on Amtrak. At one point a few years ago he made a statement that basically said "Why should I support Amtrak when it doesn't even serve my state?". Apparently he didn't even know that the Southwest Chief visits his state twice every day and that the Sunset Limited visits it six times each week.
Actually, he has, but only on the Acela. I remember coming across this story a few months ago and my friend and I were saying that he shouldn't even be allowed to ride Amtrak given his past record with funding it:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/poli...syndication=rss

Mccain was a moderate almost liberal senator UNTIL he ran for president.
You're kidding, right? As domestic political policy goes, there's very little differennce between McCain & Obama. I'm considering voting for Obama principly because I believe the republicans in congress will have more backbone to block idiotic and uncessary spending and foolish new programs if there's a democrat in the White House. Amtrak is so far off the radar as political issues go in politics that I doubt either cannidate would make a big deal of their positions one way or another. That said, I'd love to see a national effort to beef up the passenger rail network in this country like what the Eisenhower Highway Bill did to our roads in the 50s, but I doubt it would ever happen.

Though it's logical to assume Barack Obama would be more likely to support Amtrak (as opposed to McCain's non-support), I can recall all the routes that were cut under the Carter administration. And Bill Clinton wasn't exactly a huge Amtrak supporter either, though it's no coincidence that the Texas Eagle was heavily rumored to be one route that would get the axe and didn't. Had nothing, of course, to do with the Eagle not only running through his hometown of Hope, AR, but right past his house as well. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mccain rode the SL before. The reason I remember this was because the SL was involved in an accident where it derailed.

Though it's logical to assume Barack Obama would be more likely to support Amtrak (as opposed to McCain's non-support), I can recall all the routes that were cut under the Carter administration. And Bill Clinton wasn't exactly a huge Amtrak supporter either, though it's no coincidence that the Texas Eagle was heavily rumored to be one route that would get the axe and didn't. Had nothing, of course, to do with the Eagle not only running through his hometown of Hope, AR, but right past his house as well. ;)
Texas Eagle, tri-weekly, did get the axe, then it was brought back as a daily train.

mccain will probably be able skate through the general without having to mention amtrak at all. if he is elected, it's likely he will face veto-proof votes, just like the current president.

mccain will probably be able skate through the general without having to mention amtrak at all. if he is elected, it's likely he will face veto-proof votes, just like the current president.

Which is why I don't think it will make much difference for Amtrak whether Obama or McCain gets eleected. Well, for Amtrak or any other subject, for that matter. I've voted "none of the above for President before and may well do it again.

Which is why I don't think it will make much difference for Amtrak whether Obama or McCain gets eleected. Well, for Amtrak or any other subject, for that matter. I've voted "none of the above for President before and may well do it again.
It's real simple in November. If you love passenger trains travel in America, DO NOT VOTE FOR MCCAIN.

Last edited:
Alan, we all know he rides Acela regularly, and also that he once rode the Sunset.

It's real simple in November. If you love passenger trains travel in America, DO NOT VOTE FOR MCCAIN.
McCain will be a train wreck for Amtrak, which as a statement works on several levels. I have made no secret that I will be banging my head against the wall at human stupidity if McCain gets elected, because on about 4543532 different levels, I think he is the wrong man for the job at this particular point in time- although I think he is a good man in general.

HOWEVER, stepping away from that, I will find anyone on this board, or anywhere else, an idiot if they vote for Obama because McCain hates Amtrak. Actually, I broaden this statement further. I consider anyone who votes for someone because of one issue alone an idiot. I personally say good riddance to Trent Lott, no matter how much he liked Amtrak.

Amtrak, as an important subject to me, rates high on my priorities in this election. However, if the Democrats, for some unknown reason, made the mistake of selecting Bozo The Clown as president elect, I'd vote for McCain. Even if Bozo's center and event horizon as an election proposal was improving Amtrak.

As domestic political policy goes, there's very little differennce betweenMcCain & Obama.
Thanks for the bad joke. Given a serious look at the presumptive candidates' policy positions, a reasonable observer would be hard pressed to find similarities. Saying there is little difference between Obama and McCain is downright ludicrous, and verges on willful ignorance. Exploiting willful ignorance and fear is how George W. Bush got elected (ONCE). Good choice, folks!

if mc cane wins no more amtrak correct
No. Reagan could not kill Amtrak, Bush could not kill Amtrak, Carter could not kill Amtrak: and all three tried their best. The others pretty much didn't care one way or another. I defy anyone to point to any President since the formation of Amtrak who did anything positive for Amtrak. It does not matter what they say, it is what they do.

The fact is that McCain's issues with Amtrak relate largely to the 1990's era when Amtrak management was, shall we say, less than forthcoming with the truth. He has a very low tolerance for that sort of thing, and when the late George Warrington used to appear before Congress and make all kinds of wild statements about profitability and route growth, McCain was among those who were skeptical, and voiced that skepticism rather loudly. It turned out that the skeptics were correct.

The bottom line is that Amtrak is what Amtrak is. It is the both the best and worst thing that could have happened to intercity passenger rail. It has a life of its own and is kind of like the cockroach. It survives despite all attempts to kill it. It will live on even after a nuclear holocaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back