Meal Observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read on another list that the crew of No. 3 recently forgot to load the desserts before leaving Chicago so we ended up with a dessertless train crossing the desert.

A friend who was in the Boston sleeper on 449 recently told me that most of the contemporary dining selections were not available for lunch leaving Boston. So that answers the question whether the café on 449 stocks the full contemporary dining menu items - at least it didn't on that day. Fortunately for him he wanted the beef entrée and that was one of the few selections available.

Better pack your own Twinkies.

Just got back from a trip in 29 with my son. We left WAS and were told that the kids meals were already sold out. I was told they only have 3 boxes of those. My picky eater was not pleased and a cafe hot dog was needed so he got fed.

My box meal was fine. Not the greatest, not the worst. But I don’t understand how, when they have meals only available to sleeper passengers and they know how many kids are in the sleepers, they don’t stock at least enough to cover the kids. That seems like the simplest math possible.

The stocking issues wouldn't matter as much if there were not such a hefty premium for "meals included."
At this point I look at the sleeper price as paying for a bed and whatever sustenance.

Honestly, I think Amtrak should significantly lower the price of sleepers, and make meals something pax pay for regardless of accommodation. It was like this for many years. Changing it, mostly as accounting voodoo, was not a good decision.

I had a new one on the last trip I did on the Eagle... the Surf and Turf were unavailable because the cook had a seafood allergy so they didn't load crabcakes. No, I'm not making that up, came straight from the server's mouth. But the meals were good overall so no complaints from me, I've typically been pretty impressed with what that train's diner crew does with a small staff.

I had a new one on the last trip I did on the Eagle... the Surf and Turf were unavailable because the cook had a seafood allergy so they didn't load crabcakes. No, I'm not making that up, came straight from the server's mouth.

If I was sleeping car passenger on that train and I liked crabcakes, I'd be more then a little pissed that instead of being able to get the $39 s&t I was forced to order the $25 steak or one of the other cheaper options. It's not as if there are a lot of options on the Amtrak dinner menu. Removing seafood really cuts down on your choices. I've seen many people order just the crabcakes without the steak.

Honestly, I think Amtrak should significantly lower the price of sleepers, and make meals something pax pay for regardless of accommodation. It was like this for many years. Changing it, mostly as accounting voodoo, was not a good decision.
Actually this is one of the things that is much less accounting voodoo, and much more of forcing people to eat in the Diners by forcing them to pay additional fare for that pleasure, instead of choosing on a per meal basis.

Accounting wise, surprisingly, it works exactly the same as passengers paying for the food consumed into the F&B account, and not by doing a block transfer irrespective of what passengers eat or not. If the passenger does not consume any food then the additional fare paid remains in the transportation bucket and enhances the train's P&L performance.

Back