Meal Times for Acela First Class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi_Train_Fan

Service Attendant
Greetings Acela Experts,

I'm planning to take my first Acela ride in October when I'm visiting a friend in NYC (will take Amtrak there and back as well.) I'd like to ride in First Class and experience the best the NEC has to offer. How can I tell which meal will be served (if any) on a Sunday train number: 2205 (Depart NYC 9:00 AM, Arrive WAS 11:25 AM). What is the logic behind the meals that are offered on a given Acela run?

I'll be upgrading to First Class with an Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus coupon. Does anyone have experience using those for Acela trips?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

David Z

Chicago, IL

David,

Type of meal, as in breakfast, lunch, or dinner is determined by the departure time of the particular train from either WAS, NYP, or BOS. The train only has enough rooms to carry food for one type of meal; B, D, L so things are determined by what time is the train leaving one of the three service points.

The meal periods are breakfast first departure or the day thru 10 AM; lunch 11 am thru 3 pm; dinner 4 PM thru last departure of the day.

In your case, you'll get breakfast on the train. However, if for example you were boarding at 9:00 AM in Boston on your way to DC, you'd get breakfast out of Boston and lunch out of New York.

Turning to the coupon, have you booked the business class part of your trip yet? If not, book it soon to save money as each day the price could be going up.

Next, you don't mention which type of coupon you have. There are two types, one that allows you to reserve the update two days before departure, the other only one or two hours before departure. If you have the two day coupon, I suggest calling up to make the reservation as soon as the two day window opens, rather than waiting until you get to the station as the train might get sold out.

Regardless of what coupon you have, make sure that you carry a printed copy of your original business class reservation. I can't stress this enough, bring proof of the price that you got when you reserved the business class seat. Agents don't always pay attention to the rules and the computer stupidly is programmed to automatically reprice the business class fare to the highest bucket price for that train as the agent processes the coupon. I just used one of the two day coupons this week at NYP and the agent wanted to charge me $193, until I pulled out my reservation proving that I had confirmed a rate of $115 for the business class seat. :eek: The silly part is, I could have booked a first class paid seat for only 5 bucks more when I first made my reservation. :blink:

A good agent knows to override that problem, but a bad one will not. If you don't have proof that you reserved at the lower price, you will have to pay the difference. Amtrak has received lots of complaints about this, but so far still has not fixed the bug in the computer program for some reason. So again, at risk of sounding like a nagging parent, print out your original business class confirmation and bring it with you to the station!

Last edited by a moderator:
David,
Type of meal, as in breakfast, lunch, or dinner is determined by the departure time of the particular train from either WAS, NYP, or BOS. The train only has enough rooms to carry food for one type of meal; B, D, L so things are determined by what time is the train leaving one of the three service points.

The meal periods are breakfast first departure or the day thru 10 AM; lunch 11 am thru 3 pm; dinner 4 PM thru last departure of the day.

In your case, you'll get breakfast on the train. However, if for example you were boarding at 9:00 AM in Boston on your way to DC, you'd get breakfast out of Boston and lunch out of New York.

Turning to the coupon, have you booked the business class part of your trip yet? If not, book it soon to save money as each day the price could be going up.

Next, you don't mention which type of coupon you have. There are two types, one that allows you to reserve the update two days before departure, the other only one or two hours before departure. If you have the two day coupon, I suggest calling up to make the reservation as soon as the two day window opens, rather than waiting until you get to the station as the train might get sold out.

Regardless of what coupon you have, make sure that you carry a printed copy of your original business class reservation. I can't stress this enough, bring proof of the price that you got when you reserved the business class seat. Agents don't always pay attention to the rules and the computer stupidly is programmed to automatically reprice the business class fare to the highest bucket price for that train as the agent processes the coupon. I just used one of the two day coupons this week at NYP and the agent wanted to charge me $193, until I pulled out my reservation proving that I had confirmed a rate of $115 for the business class seat. :eek: The silly part is, I could have booked a first class paid seat for only 5 bucks more when I first made my reservation. :blink:

A good agent knows to override that problem, but a bad one will not. If you don't have proof that you reserved at the lower price, you will have to pay the difference. Amtrak has received lots of complaints about this, but so far still has not fixed the bug in the computer program for some reason. So again, at risk of sounding like a nagging parent, print out your original business class confirmation and bring it with you to the station!
Alan, thanks very much for the info on the meal situation on Acela. I will be using a two day coupon and will be sure to follow the advice you outlined above.

Cheers,

David Z

David,

One more thing that I should have mentioned, when you book the Business Class seat, make sure that you book it without using any discounts. Any codes, AAA, NARP discounts and such are not allowed when upgrading with the coupon. If you book with one of those discounts, the agent will have to cancel that reservation in order to allow you to use the coupon. Cancelling the reservation will of course invalidate your price and leave you needing to pay whatever the current bucket price is for a BC seat.

On the day of departure, my understanding is that it's always at the highest bucket level, regardless of how sold out the train is.

Forgive my ignorance, but I was unaware that the Acela first class served meals. I've always thought that Acela first class was like the regional business class (free drinks, more legroom, and a newspaper). I've also thought that the first class upcharge made for an expensive drink.

What are the meals? Is it the same microwave fare being sold in the cafe car?

Rick

Forgive my ignorance, but I was unaware that the Acela first class served meals. I've always thought that Acela first class was like the regional business class (free drinks, more legroom, and a newspaper). I've also thought that the first class upcharge made for an expensive drink.
What are the meals? Is it the same microwave fare being sold in the cafe car?

Rick
Rick,

No, Acela first class is far more than business class on a regional. The seating in the car is always 2 & 1, providing for wider roomier seats. Depending on passenger load there can be anywhere from 1 to 3 attendants who wait on you at your seat. You don't go looking for your own food or stand in any lines.

The food for breakfast and dinner, is far better than anything you'll ever find in the cafe car. Lunch typically is a bit less, usually a halfway decent sandwich or a nice salad are the choices, along with hot soup and chips. Breakfast could be french toast, an omlet, and such. Dinner usually sees a chicken or beef dish, as well as a fish choice. Except for the sandwich, everything is served on glass with real silverware and a cloth napkin at your seat.

Additionally all drinks are free, and that includes alcoholic drinks. For example on my recent trip last Tuesday NY to DC, I had 3 glasses of wine as well as bottled water with my meal. But they also have some hard liquor and mixed drinks, or if you prefer unlimited soda, coffee, or tea. Except for breakfast, you also get a small bar mix with your first drink, while waiting for your meal. Lunch usually also includes a piece of chocolate for desert, while dinner includes something more substantial for desert.

Free newspapers are also provided and the attendants will usually help you off with your luggage, especially if you request it. You also automatically gain access to the Club Acela Lounges where available when traveling in first class. One other advantage, between select city pairs, a ride in first class nets you 750 AGR points. In business class on Acela, you rack up 500 points between those city pairs. On a regional, you only get 2 X the money spent on your ticket.

So as you can see, it's a very big step above business class on a regional train, hence the heftier price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
One other advantage, between select city pairs, a ride in first class nets you 750 AGR points. In business class on Acela, you rack up 500 points between those city pairs. On a regional, you only get 2 X the money spent on your ticket.
Does anybody know what is ment by the term city pairs?

On my upcoming trip to Orlando (ernesto notwithstanding), if I were to move off the regional and up to Acela first class for the BOS-NYP leg, would the AGR computer be smart enough to spot the premium leg and award 750 points for that leg? Or would the AGR computer see city pairs as BOS-MCO-BOS and award double points for all monies spent?

Anybody have any experience with this? If the computer will grant the premium points I see this as an easy way to pick up 1500 AGR points for around $250.

Rick

One other advantage, between select city pairs, a ride in first class nets you 750 AGR points. In business class on Acela, you rack up 500 points between those city pairs. On a regional, you only get 2 X the money spent on your ticket.
Does anybody know what is ment by the term city pairs?
The qualifying city pairs are: Boston - Stamford, Boston - New York, Boston - Newark, Boston - Metropark, Boston - Washington, Boston - Philadelphia, Boston Back Bay - Stamford, Boston Back Bay - New York, Boston Back Bay - Newark, Boston Back Bay - Metropark, Boston Back Bay - Washington, Boston Back Bay - Philadelphia, Route 128 - Stamford, Route 128 - New York, Route 128 - Newark, Route 128 - Metropark, Route 128 - Washington, Route 128 - Philadelphia, Stamford - Washington, New York - Washington, Newark - Washington, Metropark - Washington.

On my upcoming trip to Orlando (ernesto notwithstanding), if I were to move off the regional and up to Acela first class for the BOS-NYP leg, would the AGR computer be smart enough to spot the premium leg and award 750 points for that leg? Or would the AGR computer see city pairs as BOS-MCO-BOS and award double points for all monies spent?
Anybody have any experience with this? If the computer will grant the premium points I see this as an easy way to pick up 1500 AGR points for around $250.

Rick
If you upgrade to Acela BC for the trip you'll get 1,000 points and in First you'd get 1,500 for the round trip from Boston to NY. That of course would be on top of the points earned from the Silver Service portion of your trip.

I know this is an old thread... BUT...instead of starting a new one. :D

Is there time between WAS and BAL to get a meal in? In either direction?

I know this is an old thread... BUT...instead of starting a new one. :D

Is there time between WAS and BAL to get a meal in? In either direction?
Technically it is Possible ,Especially if you are on an Acela that Makes a Stop @ BWI!! Your Attendant would have to Serve you Soon as you got on the Train, but If the FC Car is Full they May Not Get to You! For this Short a Trip I'd take MARC , a Regional or if you just want an Acela Ride go in BC and Eat in the Bistro Cafe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back