Meals in room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again from a newbie, I am booked on the silver meteor from Philly to orlando in a handicapped room with my wife and was wondering if my meals can be brought to me by her or room attendant, I dont do steps very well and would have a very hard time climbing them. Any help please

Yes, you can eat your meals in your room. Car attendant is trained to help for your service. Just ring and usually he/she will come and will take your order for meals.

I would strongly recommend to have car attendant to bring meals from diner for safety reason. Your wife can bring food/drinks from the snack bar.

Papike,

As mentioned by Gswager, your attendant can and should bring you your meals if you ask him/her to do so. I recall in your other post that you mentioned a disability, and now I note that you don't do steps well. However, this is a single level train, there are no steps between your room and the dining car. It is a single level train and there is no need for you to climb any steps to reach the rest of the train.

Now if you are unsteady on your feet, well then walking down the hall on a bouncing, bucking train may not be something that you want to attempt. However, if normal walking isn't too big of a deal for you, then you may want to try heading for the dining car at least once, just for the experience. Odds are that your food will also be a bit warmer, and except for liquor, refills are free. In your room, there won't be any refills.

If you do opt for delivered meals at any point, I would suggest that you tip your attendant extra for that service. Also be sure to arrange things with them well ahead of meal time and understand that they do have many other duties and possible a few other's in the car who might also be requesting meals in the room.

Now all that said, boarding in Philly will not be a problem, as Philly has high-level platforms, so you'll just need to step across the small gap between the platform and the car.

However, Orlando does not have high-level platforms. There you will need to climb down about 4 steps to reach the ground. If you think that this will be a problem for you, then mention this to your car attendant. That way he/she can have the conductor arrange for a lift to be in place at your car when the train reaches Orlando.

Finally, I'm going to move this topic to the Amtrak forum, as it's currently in the Trip reports forum, which is where people report on trips already taken.

Hello again from a newbie, I am booked on the silver meteor from Philly to orlando in a handicapped room with my wife and was wondering if my meals can be brought to me by her or room attendant, I dont do steps very well and would have a very hard time climbing them. Any help please
I use a wheelchair and stay in the handicapped room. I've only stayed on Superliners (2 levels). The attendant will offer to bring you meals (ask for a menu). I prefer to walk to the dining car for the experience. Since I'm very unsteady, I hang on to something all the way even when the train is stopped. I stay up in the parlor car (which has good views) or the diner all day. Instead of climbing down to use the restrooms each car has downstairs, I use the upstairs sleeper ones. The HC sleeper windows are too small for my taste, but maybe they are better on your train.

There are lifts or ramps at all stations and staff are pleased to help you get on and off safely. Enjoy your trip!

I use a wheelchair and stay in the handicapped room. I've only stayed on Superliners (2 levels). The attendant will offer to bring you meals (ask for a menu). I prefer to walk to the dining car for the experience. Since I'm very unsteady, I hang on to something all the way even when the train is stopped. I stay up in the parlor car (which has good views) or the diner all day. Instead of climbing down to use the restrooms each car has downstairs, I use the upstairs sleeper ones. The HC sleeper windows are too small for my taste, but maybe they are better on your train.

There are lifts or ramps at all stations and staff are pleased to help you get on and off safely. Enjoy your trip!
Alice, that's always good advice to hold on to things. My motto is "one hand for you, one hand for the train". :lol:

And regarding the windows, Papike will have bigger windows in his room on the Viewliner, than you've seen on the Superliner. However, unlike the Superliner handicapped room, he'll only have windows on one side of his room. Whereas your rooms have had one window on each side of the train.

Papike,
As mentioned by Gswager, your attendant can and should bring you your meals if you ask him/her to do so. I recall in your other post that you mentioned a disability, and now I note that you don't do steps well. However, this is a single level train, there are no steps between your room and the dining car. It is a single level train and there is no need for you to climb any steps to reach the rest of the train.

Now if you are unsteady on your feet, well then walking down the hall on a bouncing, bucking train may not be something that you want to attempt. However, if normal walking isn't too big of a deal for you, then you may want to try heading for the dining car at least once, just for the experience. Odds are that your food will also be a bit warmer, and except for liquor, refills are free. In your room, there won't be any refills.

If you do opt for delivered meals at any point, I would suggest that you tip your attendant extra for that service. Also be sure to arrange things with them well ahead of meal time and understand that they do have many other duties and possible a few other's in the car who might also be requesting meals in the room.

Now all that said, boarding in Philly will not be a problem, as Philly has high-level platforms, so you'll just need to step across the small gap between the platform and the car.

However, Orlando does not have high-level platforms. There you will need to climb down about 4 steps to reach the ground. If you think that this will be a problem for you, then mention this to your car attendant. That way he/she can have the conductor arrange for a lift to be in place at your car when the train reaches Orlando.

Finally, I'm going to move this topic to the Amtrak forum, as it's currently in the Trip reports forum, which is where people report on trips already taken.
Just an added suggestion to get you to the diner. Time your movement towards the diner when the train is stopped at a station or sitting in a siding. The experience is worth the walk if you are up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back