Meals in the Diner Just Got Better

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Amtrak will be making menu improvements in its dining cars, effective April 1. Each meal period will feature one choice more than offered today (including a "special" at dinner). Also, there will be three menu "cycles" (or groupings) offered across the system, with no single train having the same menu cycle in one direction as in the other -- guaranteeing that round-trip passengers won't have the exact same menu coming and going. Trains that run for two nights will have different specials and vegetables for each dinner. After six months, one menu cycle will be replaced with a new one. Certain beverages -- coffee, tea (hot and cold), milk -- will be included in the price at all meals (and juice at breakfast). Seasonings made available to chefs will be increased.
The menu restrictions that were instituted in 2002 for budgetary reasons were unpopular with frequent travelers. This new menu system will help to increase variety in the dining car.
I think the nationalized menu before, even though restricted, did turn out better food than when each train had seperate menu. This should be good for passengers traveling on more than one train.

The improvements are suspiciously like some of the suggestions raised in this forum not too long ago.

Well you'll just have to make another trip then :D . But the one place I don't expect to see these changes is on Auto Train. Those guys have always had a different menu from National service, I think we can expect it to stay that way.

I have always thought the Auto Train food was good, even in Coach, but the Menu was limited as there were only 4 dinner entrees, only iced tea or water to drink, and only cheesecake or ice cream for desert. I'm guessing something similar is still in effect today.

Actually the menu is much wider including items such as Jello for dessert, soft drinks etc. It's very good from what the Conductors say (compared to regular service meals).

I'm always glad to see any improvement on train food. This could, or should be one of our selling points. This is one of the ways in which we are so, so much better than the airline or bus(stopping at whatever bus terminal or fast food service is available . Eating on the train is one of the super super highlights. Long live the best food possible.

Amfleet said:
Does the Auto Train still offer free sancks and deli sandwhiches in the Lounge upon departure?
Well if no one replies before the end of May, I'll let you know then as I'll be riding the AT near the end of May. :)

I'll ask one of the guys tonight when I talk to him. He hasn't seen the road since the end of January, but I'll ask him.

This looks like good news, especially the part about some drinks being included with the meal price. Having the same choices available night after night can get tiring if you're traveling for longer than a day or two. I hope they'll bring back the fantastic New York Strip steak that was on the first nationalized menu. NY Strip in a wine and mushroom sauce. Yum! :)

He says that snack mix is still offered, as well as cookies with the movies. He doesn't recall ever having sandwiches.

I remember the snacks, but the cookies were usually put out in the morning and passengers were encouraged to take them for the road. We were only served sandwhiches once, and that was when the train departed Sanford late at 11pm. So it might have been to hold passengers over as the diner didn't open that evening.

When I was coming back from California on 6, the attendant in my sleeper notes that these changes might be more like the meals from the early 80's when everything was served on plastic and microwaved.

On a serious note, I don't think that will happen. The quote mentions chefs will have a larger variety of seasonings, which means they'll making ajustments to the flavor when "cooking". Gunn isn't supid enough to serve his passengers microwaved meals.

Amfleet said:
Steve,Never, ever, mention "plastic" or "microwaved" on this forum again!!!!!! :p
Don't want to even think about it. When he told me, I started thinking bad thoughts about president Bush league, like wouldn't it be nice if he was underneath the train. Or something like that.

I remember the plastic and microwave years---guess it was better than no food at all, or about equal to airline food. But may that never happen again!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Viewliner, many replies back you mention making a trip in December. What is that all about ? Is that to Florida also?
Yes, I'm going to Florida again. I'm taking the Silver Star in at least 1 direction in December. That trip will Include my dad (accountant, and can't go now because of Tax Season), and my younger (I have my youngest brother joining me on the February trip as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back