Memphis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigtree

Can anyone tell me about the Memphis station...area etc.? I come in at 6:45 A.M. and have to get to Greyhound by 8:00. Otherwise I have to go to the airport to rent a car.

It is a bad area, to be sure, but the Greyhound is fairly near. Not a long cab ride. I think the station itself has been kind of improved. I think the train stops at a small facility removed from the old, large building.

I passed through Memphis in August but I was on the opposite side of the train away from the station, so did not see it well.

The Memphis station is staffed by Amtrak personnel from 9:30pm to 9:00am daily.

Memphis is open at odd hours due to the fact that train 58 arrives at 2210 and 59 arrives at 0627. I also believe that this would probably be a Crew Change point and a refueling point for the engines.

I didn't feel any alarm about the station area's safety and anyway the people that would do you harm don't get up that early anyway.

You should have time to have a great breakfast at the Arcade Restaurant

which is down the steps and across the street from the railway station. When you finish there, you just hop on the trolley which turns around in front of the Arcade to make the short trip back downtown.

The trolley driver will help with any directions you need. Enjoy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back