Meteor loses 12 car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
At the beginning of the fall season Amtrak announced that it would remove (and has removed) the 12 car from the Meteor. I personally fail to see the sense in this, as the Meteor would sell all the deluxe and Handicap rooms, no matter what day of the week. The standard rooms, while they wouldn't always sell on departure from Miami or New York, they would sell out on the upgrades from coach. Anyone have any insight as to why the 12 car was whacked? As a side note the Meteor has dropped to four coaches (only one attendant from MIA-JAX) and has its Dorm back, while the Star has dropped down to only three coaches. The Palmetto consist remains unchanged.

The Meteor lost its third sleeper due to the fact that the Viewliners will begin going through a refurbishment program at Bear starting this month. I just read this today in the October issue of Railpace magazine.

battalion51 said:
Did the article say what the refurbishments will entail? :huh:
No, but I suspect it will mean replacing curtains, upolstery, carpet, and maybe some of the other surfaces (most likely in the same colors). I doubt the project will be too major, but is more so just to standardize the fleet of Viewliners. This is all just my guess though.

I was hoping they would rebuild the electrical system, plumbing system, video system, interior. :lol:

Actually the shell of the cars is the only thing that's in really good shape on a majority of the cars. :lol:

battalion51 said:
I was hoping they would rebuild the electrical system, plumbing system, video system, interior. :lol:
Then that wouldn't be a refurbishment it'd be a major overhaul :lol:

I think Jon may have started a trend on the board with MLB team logos. But always remember the Marlins are the best, no matter what.

battalion51 said:
I think Jon may have started a trend on the board with MLB team logos. But always remember the Marlins are the best, no matter what.
While your zeal for your team is admirable, our 26 World Championships and 39 AL pennants say otherwise. See you in the Series.

Maybe the Yankees or Red S*x will use the Acela to travel between cities.

B-51, you brought it up, I'm just showing the credentials of a possible opponent, (let's just leave it at Steinbrenner over Loria any day of the week) now go finish off the cubs, I've got a game to watch B)

tp49 said:
B-51, you brought it up, I'm just showing the credentials of a possible opponent, (let's just leave it at Steinbrenner over Loria any day of the week) now go finish off the cubs, I've got a game to watch B)
Guys, broken link, could somebody post that url without the link?

battalion51 said:
At the beginning of the fall season Amtrak announced that it would remove (and has removed) the 12 car from the Meteor.
Well I hope Amtrak didn't sell me sleepers that they wont have when I board. I am traveling from WAS-KIS 11/18 on the Meteor and have rooms 5 & 6 in car #9710. I just purchased them Oct 3rd so hopefully that wont happen.

That is an important question that amtrakmichigan asks in the preceding post, about consists changes for people who already have reservations.

I wonder how good of a job Amtrak does notifying people in advance of changes like that---do they just wait till they get to the station to say, "Hey, there's no sleeper for you"?

Viewliner, I note your Dec. 25 trip will be both Silver Star and Silver Meteor. Will this affect you Meteor reservations? Have you already made your reservations?

Bill Haithcoat said:
That is an important question that amtrakmichigan asks in the preceding post, about consists changes for people who already have reservations.
I wonder how good of a job Amtrak does notifying people in advance of changes like that---do they just wait till they get to the station to say, "Hey, there's no sleeper for you"?

Viewliner, I note your Dec. 25 trip will be both Silver Star and Silver Meteor. Will this affect you Meteor reservations? Have you already made your reservations?
Thanks for your concern Bill. I just read your post and called Amtrak. I talked to a real nice guy named Scott and asked him this question. He looked it up and said that it is true that the Meteor is running with only 2 sleepers. He went into detail to explain that the car numbers that are on the consists are #9710 and 9711. I have rooms in car 9710 so I am not effected by this. He also said if it is a planed event ( taking out a slepper) they are usually good about getting it out of the reservation system as soon as they know.

Also.... this is where Amtrak, much like rest of corporate america doesn't make sense at all. I am sure Amtrak has a few of the old 10/6 and slumbercoach sleepers laying in the boneyards somewhere. Why dont they rebulid say 6 of these and rotate them into a viewliner consists and then take the viewliner car and rebuild them. This way there wouldn't be any angry passengers and no revenue lost for Amtrak especially around the holiday season.

That's a relief, amtrakmichigan. Glad to hear that as I know you are even more glad ......it is good to find helpful friendly employees such as Scott whom you dealt with.

Only once did I have a problem even similar to that....showed up at the station to ride a slumbercoach, it had been bad-ordered at the last minute... they replaced it with two standard sleepers (a standard sleepr has less capacity than a slumbercoach) SO...I got to ride in a regular sleeper but at slumbercoach prices, which was a big difference.

Bill, I would also like to thank "battalion51" for the heads up on this situation. Your right about Scott, he was very helpfull, profesional and understanding. I have talked to countless people on the reservation system that would have the attitude of "your bothering me with such a dumb question". These reservation people seem to get an attitude when they feel you know more about whats going on with Amtrak then they do. Again thanks to Scott at Amtrak and "battalion51" for the great information.

Just to follow up here, you are indeed safe AmtrakMichigan. If you tickets say 9710, then you will indeed have a sleeper. They've eliminated the 9712 sleeper.

As for the second part of the question, Amtrak is actually pretty good about notifying people about changes like this. They usually make every effort to contact passengers whenever there are any changes. They'll call you if they can; but I've even been contacted by email.

In my case they were stopping the last run of the Twilight Shoreliner at DC and my tickets were for Richmond. So I had to juggle things around at bit and just cancel the run to Richmond. I was only going to Richmond so that I didn't have to wake up early in the morning at DC.

I know that Superliner Diner received a phone call, when Amtrak changed the departure time of the Lake Shore Limited with the last timetable. He had brought his tickets in February long before the change, so they called him to make sure that he was aware of the change.

I've also heard numerous stories from people who got calls from Amtrak, when the freight RR's closed track sections for maintenance forcing Amtrak to either cancel, reroute, or bustitute service.

So they try very hard to let everyone know. Obviously if you didn't provide full info during your purchase or gave the wrong info you may never hear from Amtrak, but they do try. :)

I got one of those calls about the bustitution when I took the NB Adirondack last summer due to track maintenance on the D&H north of Albany. Should have left them the # where I was in NY though as they called my house in California , but yes they usually make the effort to contact people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back