Meteor loses 12 car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
amtrakmichigan said:
Also.... this is where Amtrak, much like rest of corporate america doesn't make sense at all. I am sure Amtrak has a few of the old 10/6 and slumbercoach sleepers laying in the boneyards somewhere. Why dont they rebulid say 6 of these and rotate them into a viewliner consists and then take the viewliner car and rebuild them. This way there wouldn't be any angry passengers and no revenue lost for Amtrak especially around the holiday season.
Acutally, Amtrak did, up until September 2001, have 3 rebuilt Heritage 10-6 Sleepers used on the Three Rivers. However, these cars were forced into retirement because they did not feature retention toilets. FRA regulations now require retention tanks on all passenger cars instead of waste being dumped on the tracks. If anyone is wondering, the Heritage Crew Dorms still in use today have chemical toilets installed, which arent exactly retention toilets, but don't just dump the waste on the track. Rumor has it the chemical toilets are suitable for the crew, but not for a high paying first class passenger.

Bill Haithcoat said:
That is an important question that amtrakmichigan asks in the preceding post, about consists changes for people who already have reservations.
I wonder how good of a job Amtrak does notifying people in advance of changes like that---do they just wait till they get to the station to say, "Hey, there's no sleeper for you"?

Viewliner, I note your Dec. 25 trip will be both Silver Star and Silver Meteor. Will this affect you Meteor reservations? Have you already made your reservations?
Its a non-issue as I'm in the 10 car both ways (I would think they book the 10, then 11, and 12 [if applicable]) So the only way I would be affected is if they eliminate the 10 car (and thus all Sleepers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back