Metroliner cab car rebuilds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT Hokie

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak is reportedly refurbishing several former Metroliner MU cab cars, some of which will be used for all electric push-pull Keystone service. (Cab cars are also used on the Vermonter and Springfield shuttles.) Has anyone heard how soon these cars will start appearing on the Keystones?

Looking at photos of some of the stored units in Bear, DE, I wonder which cars will get a new lease on life. Some, such as #9634, appear to be in pretty good shape. The "Phase IV" color scheme suggests it hasn't been stored all that long.

#9650 is one that has already been returned to service.

Before

After

Actually all of the cab cars are being overhauled and being given a little TLC. A number of cars have already gone through the program, and I'm pretty sure all will. They probably are going to pull some cars like the 9650 that were stored serviceable for use, but there's a bunch of these guys floating around already. There are currently 9 active cars, with another in overhaul, and three more stored without collision damage Now given current utilization of the fleet there are 5 cars needed on a daily basis, 2 for the Vermonter, and three for the shuttles. So throw in a spare at New Haven you really need six. So depending on the number of Keystone sets and associated spares you'll need one or two more out of storage.

I'm quite suprised Amtrak would refurbish these units to actually use as cab cars. They can be dangerous to the passengers and engineer in an event of a colision, even a mild one, not to mention the somewhat limited visibility the engineer has out the front and side. In my opinion it might be better to rebuild them and use them as a standard coach or b/c cars. They should have removed the engines from more F40's and used them for all cab control needs.

Well, the collision issue may be valid for the Vermonter and Springfield shuttle trains. But the Keystones operate on a completely grade separated route, I believe (although I'm not absolutely sure if they've closed the last couple of crossings out near Harrisburg yet).

As for the F40 NPCU's, they won't work on the NEC because of clearance issues and their 100 mph max rated speed.

AmtrakFan said:
In FY05: 9646, 9649, 9635, 9641, 9645, and 9650 were CompletedIn FY06 as of 2/28/06 9633 and 9638

Info Courdisey of Amtrak's Monthly Preformance Reports.
Cool, thanks for the info!

VT Hokie said:
Well, the collision issue may be valid for the Vermonter and Springfield shuttle trains. But the Keystones operate on a completely grade separated route, I believe (although I'm not absolutely sure if they've closed the last couple of crossings out near Harrisburg yet).
Remember a colision doesn't have involve a motor vehicle. It could be anything from a heard of cattle (moooo! :blink: ) to a parked freight or passenger train.

VT Hokie said:
As for the F40 NPCU's, they won't work on the NEC because of clearance issues and their 100 mph max rated speed.
I forgot all about the clearance issues. But as far as speed limits go it would seem that some wheel and truck mods. would solve that problem

The ones numbered in the 9800's appear to be in good shape. I don't know how long they've been in storage, but these were obviously built from Metroliners that went through the GE rebuild and had their a/c equipment moved to the roof.

Check out this Amfleet II coach. Ouch. Anyone know what wreck this was in, and why they'd keep it lying around instead of sending it to the scrapper?

As far as the safety issue goes for the cab cars, there are very few grade crossings these cab cars travel over. While it likely is safer to have an engine up front, it's cost cutting, and not terribly dangerous compared to the engine, otherwise why would the railroad administraions own one of their own and not ask questions.

For that matter, it's easy to forget that towards the end of the Metroliner MU service, some of them were assigned to the HAR-PHL line, without much fuss or muss.

I just think it's great that Amtrak's going to light the wire back up soon... enough PennDOTbux have been spent on that line. Now if we could only get another train or two west of Harrisburg!

The wire has been live all this time. they just had no electric trains to run on it.

Amtrak just ran an inspection special over entire line with a AEM7

The PHL-HBG is not grade crossing free. I was at a crossing last week for a while in the Boro of Gordonville about a mile off Route 30 in Lancaster County. The trains came flying through. The name of the street is Irishtown Road. It is a great place to watch the trains. In fact the gates come down long before the train can be heard as there Amish all over and there has be enough time for the horse and buggy to cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back