Metroliner in Southern California?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
This had to have been a very short-lived idea, because I only see it in the October 1984 timetable schedule. I had to blink a few times to believe what I saw...

metroliner3.jpg

metroliner1.jpg

metroliner2.jpg

Very interesting idea. Sounds like an all business class train, and way before custom class on the sandiegans.

engine999 said:
Very interesting idea. Sounds like an all business class train, and way before custom class on the sandiegans.
Well, interestingly enough, the timetable release directly after this one mentions the introduction of Custom Class, but mentions the Metroliner nowhere. So maybe they figured, the Metroliner idea isn't going to work, but an upgraded service should still be offered.

Custom Class in the form of Business Class still lives on today across the system. The idea of limited stop express service sounds good in theory, but kills a lot of smaller markets Amtrak has a knack for hitting. We all saw the demise of true Acela Express service when the limited stop Acela's were killed a few months after their beginning. While we still have Acela "Express" it is not Washington-Philly-New York, period, other important intermediate stops like Wilmington, Baltimore, and Newark are still on the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back