Metropolitan Lounge question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seajay

Service Attendant
I have a quick question about usage of the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. I think someone mentioned this fairly recently but I can't find it. Thanks in advance for your patience.

If I arrive in Chicago (e.g. aboard the westbound Three Rivers) in a sleeper (i.e. First Class) and then depart the same day from Chicago (e.g. aboard the westbound CZ) in a coach, am I allowed to utilize the Metropolitan during my layover? I think since it's the same day I can but I'd appreciate it if somebody would confirm this.

And, if I can use the lounge, would this also allow me to board the westbound CZ early, even though I'm in coach?

Thanks!

seajay

Dear Seajay,

If you have a sleeping car on the Three Rivers, Westbound and Eastbound, you will be able to use the Metropolitan Lounge both of the days you are there, but boarding the California Zephyr early is strictly for sleeping car passengers only, but you might have a nice attendant and you might be able to board early, like one of my trips with my family on the Sunset Limited, we talked with the sleeping car attendant about different things and later on he talked with the conductor about upgrading us, and we were upgrade from two Superliner Standard Bedrooms to a Double Deluxe (Two Combined Deluxe Bedrooms), so it depends in the attendant, hope this helps and enjoy you’re trip!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Actually Seajay, I've seen coach passengers pre-boarded from the Metro Lounge. Usually as long as you are in the lounge you get to go out ahead of the rest of the passengers. Just stick with the group.

This is especially true in the Club Acela's in Boston, Philly, and DC. If you get into those lounges for any reason, you will get to pre-board regardless of what class you are riding in. Oddly in NY, for most trains no one gets to preboard.

AlanB said:
Actually Seajay, I've seen coach passengers pre-boarded from the Metro Lounge.  Usually as long as you are in the lounge you get to go out ahead of the rest of the passengers.  Just stick with the group.
I guess the best thing would be to confidently look like I belong in the Metropolitan Lounge (which I would) and to look like I know where I'm going when it's time to board (which I would) and not to ask any questions which might incriminate me.

:lol:

seajay

AlanB said:
This is especially true in the Club Acela's in Boston, Philly, and DC. If you get into those lounges for any reason, you will get to pre-board regardless of what class you are riding in.
Yeah Alan, tell that to the people in Boston on February 17, 2002 :D

seajay said:
I guess the best thing would be to confidently look like I belong in the Metropolitan Lounge (which I would) and to look like I know where I'm going when it's time to board (which I would) and not to ask any questions which might incriminate me.
:lol:
Seejay,

Don't think that way. As an arriving first class passenger, you have as much right to be in the Metropolitan Lounge as the departing first class passengers. Now if you were to leave the lounge, as you might considering the layover time between the two trains, then it could be an issue since when you go to re-enter the lounge you're no longer an arriving first class passenger; you're walking in off the street.

Do you have the right to pre-board a train as a coach class passenger? As was said before, the staff of the lounge considers all passengers using the lounge as first class passengers, so they are going to pre-board you most likely whether you say anything or not. Heck, you paid a premium to ride the first train, why not get a little something extra such as your choice of seats when getting on the second one?

Superliner Diner said:
Seejay,
Don't think that way.  As an arriving first class passenger, you have as much right to be in the Metropolitan Lounge as the departing first class passengers.  Now if you were to leave the lounge, as you might considering the layover time between the two trains, then it could be an issue since when you go to re-enter the lounge you're no longer an arriving first class passenger; you're walking in off the street.

Do you have the right to pre-board a train as a coach class passenger?  As was said before, the staff of the lounge considers all passengers using the lounge as first class passengers, so they are going to pre-board you most likely whether you say anything or not.   Heck, you paid a premium to ride the first train, why not get a little something extra such as your choice of seats when getting on the second one?
Thanks, Superliner Diner, I understand all of this. I was just trying to add a touch of humor. :)

Anyway, I don't even know for sure yet if I'm going to be taking this trip. I'm thinking about traveling from Mount Pleasant, IA to Pittsburgh, PA this September to go to a baseball game at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. The schedule works out great because it gets me in to Pittsburgh mid-morning (via The Three Rivers) and I can catch the westbound Three Rivers right after the game. I did this same thing two years ago just a couple of weeks before The Three Rivers switched from Heritage to Viewliner equipment. I've never ridden Viewliner equipment before so I'd be anxious to do that.

Thanks, everybody, for your assistance with this!

seajay

Hey, I know that I do this all the time. I come in on the Lakeshore Limited (with a sleeper) and catch a coach on the CA Zephyr out. They've always pre-boarded us with the sleeper people, even though we're in coach. I've wandered all over the Chicago station (I love to sightsee!) and I've never had trouble getting in or out! I love the Metro Lounge!!! Woo-hoo!!

Tif =:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back