Miami to Chicago Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant
I know that amtrak is not starting new service anytime soon. But i was wondering if a Chicago to Miami train might be in the works when amtrak does start to expand again.Thanks.

Well I know that they have talked for a few years about starting a Auto Train between the Chicago area and Florida. But like you said, cost is everything with Amtrak right now.

amtrakmichigan said:
Well I know that they have talked for a few years about starting a Auto Train between the Chicago area and Florida. But like you said, cost is everything with Amtrak right now.
Actually at present it's not even about cost. Back last year in August when Amtrak was running out of money, one of the conditions of the 100M loan that they got from the White house was, that they could not start any new service unless a state was covering all losses on that service.

I think that the terms of the loan included a two year moritorium on no new services.

Amtrak did serve the Miami to Chicago route when it first started in 1971. That train was known(from pre-Amtrak days)as the South Wind. It was very shortly re-named the Floridian after Amtrak took over. It was discontinued in 1979.

And there was very briefly a Louisville to Florida auto train service at some point in the 70's. It was not nearly as successful as the Lorton, Va. to Florida service.

The gap in service from Miami to Chicago is one of the most noticeable on the U.S. map and many, many of us fans would like to see that service restored someday. However, it would require not only proper budgeting, expansion of Amtrak's allowable goals, etc as mentioned above but seriously extensive track work over many of the areas such a train might go.

1979 was the year we also lost: North Coast Hiawatha (Chicago-

Billings-Seattle), National Limited (NYC-Columbus,OH-Kansas City, including through sleeping car service from NYC to LA via the National and Southwest Chief), Champion (NYC-Florida), Lone star (Chicago-Oklahoma City-Houston), and the Mountaineer (Chicago-West Virginia? this was the only train that should have been discontinued).

Other than the Mountaineer, all these trains had strong supporters and riderships, and strong cases could be made to have kept them.

The san Joaquin had only one train a day each way was also on the chopping block, but the state of California stepped in a began paying for the route and has since made it phenominal success.

Somw of us wonder what could have happened to the other trains if similar conditions existed for the other trains.

To answer your question...

No direct routes between MIA and ORD.

You can travel MIA-DC-ORD though.

I know..I know this is trains ...not airplanes or airports

Miami- WashDC- CHicago is the presently available.

IGO :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back