Michigan State Funded Amtrak trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today there still is no Budget for the State of Michigan which means the State is getting very close to a government shutdown.

Also with no State Budget means the Blue water and Pere Marquette have no money for FY 2008 and with the State of Michigan in the red it will be very hard to get a budget for Amtrak.

Reasons are if the Democrats vote yes for it with very little help from the Republicans it will get voted down and same as where the Republicans bring it up for a vote the Democrats will vote it down.

Now is a good time to make the Michigan House and Senate aware of how much we need these 2 trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefighters, Nurses, Educators Join Granholm to Urge Comprehensive Solution to Budget Crisis

September 21, 2007

LANSING - In her weekly radio address, Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today urged legislators to find a comprehensive solution to the state's budget crisis that protects public safety, health care and education from massive cuts. After meeting throughout the week with interested citizens, Granholm asked the people of Michigan to contact their state senators and representatives to voice support for a sensible budget that combines cuts, reforms and new revenues.

"For months, as I've been working on getting a solution in place, I've been joined by Michigan citizens who have first hand experience with how important this budget is for all of us," Granholm said. "I will not accept half measures that further delay tough decisions."

The governor's weekly radio address is released each Friday morning and may be heard on broadcast stations across the state. The address is available on the governor's Web site (www.michigan.gov/gov) for download, as is a clip of the quote above. The radio address is also available as a podcast on the Web site, as well as on iTunes and via RSS feed for general distribution to personal MP3 players and home computers. Links to the audio files and text of today's address follows.

Governor Jennifer M. Granholm

September 21, 2007

Full Radio Address Audio (3:00): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/Gov1...ll_209430_7.mp3

Edited Radio Address (1:30): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/Gov1...it_209432_7.mp3

Hello, this is Governor Jennifer Granholm.

As you may know, we have just days left to solve Michigan's budget crisis. This crisis is hurting our ability to move forward with our plan to diversify Michigan's economy. We need a comprehensive solution by October 1 when the new fiscal year begins.

Way back in February - after we'd already resolved $4 billion in budget deficits over the past four years - I proposed a comprehensive solution that would allow us to make critical investments in our state's future. That solution combines sensible cuts, significant government reforms and some new revenues. This comprehensive approach is the only way that we can protect health care, education and public safety from devastating cuts.

Still, there are some in Lansing that say they can solve this budget crisis with a "cuts only" solution. But frankly they've been unable to muster enough votes for their cuts … and with good reason: The truth is, cutting almost $1.8 billion from our state budget will hurt Michigan citizens. It would put education, health care and public safety in jeopardy. And those who have supported devastating cuts have refused to vote as well for a comprehensive and permanent solution to this budget crisis.

For months, as I've been working on getting a solution in place, I've been joined by Michigan citizens who have first hand experience with how important this budget is for all of us. Firefighters came to the Capitol to stand with me against proposed cuts to fire protection - these cuts could close firehouses and put people at risk.

Nurses from around the state came to talk about how critical Medicaid and health care services are for every Michigan citizen. If health care to children and pregnant women and people with disabilities and senior citizens is slashed - as some Legislators have proposed - many citizens will lose access to care, and our emergency rooms will be overcrowded which means lower quality care for everyone, and higher insurance rates for those who have insurance.

Michigan educators also came to make their case. When state education funding is slashed - especially when those cuts happen in the middle of the school year - our kids suffer with fewer teachers, larger class sizes and fewer school bus routes.

The bottom line is that Michigan needs to combine cuts, reforms and new revenues. I hope that every Michigan citizen will pick up the phone and call their state senator and representative… If your voices are heard, I'm hopeful that we can reach a bipartisan agreement on a comprehensive solution. Everyone has to give - every political party has to compromise, to come to the center, in order for us to solve this problem.

I will not accept half measures that further delay tough decisions… we need an agreement, and we need it by October 1. There's barely still time. Thank you for listening, and thank you for getting involved.

# # #

Firefighters, Nurses, Educators Join Granholm to Urge Comprehensive Solution to Budget Crisis

September 21, 2007

LANSING - In her weekly radio address, Governor Jennifer M. Granholm today urged legislators to find a comprehensive solution to the state's budget crisis that protects public safety, health care and education from massive cuts. After meeting throughout the week with interested citizens, Granholm asked the people of Michigan to contact their state senators and representatives to voice support for a sensible budget that combines cuts, reforms and new revenues.

"For months, as I've been working on getting a solution in place, I've been joined by Michigan citizens who have first hand experience with how important this budget is for all of us," Granholm said. "I will not accept half measures that further delay tough decisions."

The governor's weekly radio address is released each Friday morning and may be heard on broadcast stations across the state. The address is available on the governor's Web site (www.michigan.gov/gov) for download, as is a clip of the quote above. The radio address is also available as a podcast on the Web site, as well as on iTunes and via RSS feed for general distribution to personal MP3 players and home computers. Links to the audio files and text of today's address follows.

Governor Jennifer M. Granholm

September 21, 2007

Full Radio Address Audio (3:00): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/Gov1...ll_209430_7.mp3

Edited Radio Address (1:30): http://www.michigan.gov/documents/gov/Gov1...it_209432_7.mp3

Hello, this is Governor Jennifer Granholm.

As you may know, we have just days left to solve Michigan's budget crisis. This crisis is hurting our ability to move forward with our plan to diversify Michigan's economy. We need a comprehensive solution by October 1 when the new fiscal year begins.

Way back in February - after we'd already resolved $4 billion in budget deficits over the past four years - I proposed a comprehensive solution that would allow us to make critical investments in our state's future. That solution combines sensible cuts, significant government reforms and some new revenues. This comprehensive approach is the only way that we can protect health care, education and public safety from devastating cuts.

Still, there are some in Lansing that say they can solve this budget crisis with a "cuts only" solution. But frankly they've been unable to muster enough votes for their cuts … and with good reason: The truth is, cutting almost $1.8 billion from our state budget will hurt Michigan citizens. It would put education, health care and public safety in jeopardy. And those who have supported devastating cuts have refused to vote as well for a comprehensive and permanent solution to this budget crisis.

For months, as I've been working on getting a solution in place, I've been joined by Michigan citizens who have first hand experience with how important this budget is for all of us. Firefighters came to the Capitol to stand with me against proposed cuts to fire protection - these cuts could close firehouses and put people at risk.

Nurses from around the state came to talk about how critical Medicaid and health care services are for every Michigan citizen. If health care to children and pregnant women and people with disabilities and senior citizens is slashed - as some Legislators have proposed - many citizens will lose access to care, and our emergency rooms will be overcrowded which means lower quality care for everyone, and higher insurance rates for those who have insurance.

Michigan educators also came to make their case. When state education funding is slashed - especially when those cuts happen in the middle of the school year - our kids suffer with fewer teachers, larger class sizes and fewer school bus routes.

The bottom line is that Michigan needs to combine cuts, reforms and new revenues. I hope that every Michigan citizen will pick up the phone and call their state senator and representative… If your voices are heard, I'm hopeful that we can reach a bipartisan agreement on a comprehensive solution. Everyone has to give - every political party has to compromise, to come to the center, in order for us to solve this problem.

I will not accept half measures that further delay tough decisions… we need an agreement, and we need it by October 1. There's barely still time. Thank you for listening, and thank you for getting involved.

# # #
Whoah,

And I thought Illinois was bad(tongue in cheek)! Blast, the Pere Marqutte is one of the few Amtrak trains I have not ridden and I was thinking of possibly riding it later this year. I guess I'll adopt a wait and see attitude!

This is the flyer that will be put out at stations and mabey on the trains to inform passengers of the situation.

The Blue water and Pere Marquette Amtrak trains still do not have any funding for FY 2008 from the the State Of Michigan which starts Oct 1st

The State Of Michigan will have to make a 1.8 Billon dollar cut in funding for FY2008

Now is the time to contact the Michigan House and Senate and tell them to Fund the 2 Michigan State Supported Amtrak trains the Blue water and the Pere Marquette.

Contact Information

House

Business Office

Ph: 517.373.6339

[email protected]

Clerk's Office

Ph: 517.373.0135

[email protected]

Web site address

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Senate

Secretary of the Senate

(517) 373-2400

Web site address

http://senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm

This was made by Save Our Trains Michigan

www.saveourtrainsmichigan.com

As a resident of the state of Michigan, I would hope the funding for the two Amtrak trains would be one of the FIRST things that would get cut. We are in one hell of a financial crises here. Not only is the state in trouble, but most of the residents and businesss are hurting financially too (thanks to those who drive foreign vehicles!). We truly need to cut funding to all non esential services. There is talk about shuting down the Secretary of State (driver's license ofiices), most of the State Police, and funding to public schools. Again I would HOPE that Amtrak funding would be the least of concerns.

If Detroit had been building small, economical vehicles, like those "foreign vehicles", instead of big gas guzzlers that are at least partially responsible for the gas shortages and high prices we are all facing, then maybe they might have sold more of them, and wouldn't be in the financial shape they're in. Don't blame the people who bought wisely, blame the manufacturers who built foolishly. I have no sympathy for them. It's all those Hummers and other gas guzzlers that help cause the high gas prices we are all paying.

It used to be that most of the citizens of this country took pride in America. They purchesed American made products, supported and cared for there fellow americans. Today the Avg. American only cares about THEMSELVES! "What ever is best for ME...whatever is cheepest for ME.... " type attitudes. I try my hardest to be a true American. I have never bought or never will buy a foreign car. Why? Because I hope I can help put bread and butter on the table of one of my neighbors, and in turn that family will be able to afford to spend money at my business. If an American made product is available, I will purchase it regardless of the cost difference. And no, I have never walked into a Wal-mart owned store either. I am not looking forward to the future, America at this pace will not be a nice place to be, unless you are RICH!

Most of the gas shortages is because of China. The Chineese are using more oil then ever before. There is now more worldwide demand for oil, so the cost will go up. Again we can thank our government for letting there products into this country, and the "greedy American" trying to save a buck buying there junk. China's economy is thriving, thanks in part to Americans. Stop buying there crap and maybe the price of gas might drop, and our economy might get better.

You may get a few bucks more on your Honda / Toyota trade in, or maybe 2 -3 MPG more then a comparable american car. But how is the value of your home doing? For most people it has dropped at least 10% in the past couple years. The biggest reason is because most of our decent paying jobs have gone overseas, and people can't afford to purchase a nice house in a nice neighborhood working at Wal-Mart or the local restaurant. It will only get worse before it gets better (if ever).

You may get a few bucks more on your Honda / Toyota trade in, or maybe 2 -3 MPG more then a comparable American car. But how is the value of your home doing? For most people it has dropped at least 10% in the past couple years. The biggest reason is because most of our decent paying jobs have gone overseas, and people can't afford to purchase a nice house in a nice neighborhood working at Wal-Mart or the local restaurant. It will only get worse before it gets better (if ever).
One of the largest Toyota Plants in the world is 6 miles from my house in central Kentucky, where they make most of the Camrys for US sales. All American workers, 100% American owned and 100% of the profits stay in America. Same for a large Honda plant in Marysville, Ohio where we used to live. Some "American" cars are having parts made in foreign countries, so buy Toyota and really buy American. My house value has increased 25% in the last 5 years. We have one of the lowest unemployment areas in the country and kids in school are testing at higher levels than in years. Gas remains in the $2.65 a gallon range and I can still take my wife out for a nice meal for $15-18 total for the two of us. If it got any better I couldn't stand it.

The counter-argument is to look at USA cities like Pittsburgh, where the population has fallen dramatically as the metal-bashing industries left. To examine a smaller city in the USA going through the same process, take a look at the Weirton, WV area. Northeastern Ohio right now is experiencing a similar hollowing out process as the smaller tooling and machine shops which were supported by the metal-bashing and manufacturing industries are put out of business by globalization.

This is Amtrak Unlimited, so in order to bring this back to topic, we'll simply point out that the old Budd company that made the Amfleet series of cars went out of business because, IIRC, the City of Philadelphia was obliged to purchase Kawasaki transit vehicles instead of locally produced Budd cars. The remnants of the old Budd company are now based in Michigan.

(At the time this was happening, I was overseas courtesy of Uncle, and don't quite remember the details).

As a resident of the state of Michigan, I would hope the funding for the two Amtrak trains would be one of the FIRST things that would get cut. We are in one hell of a financial crises here. Not only is the state in trouble, but most of the residents and businesss are hurting financially too (thanks to those who drive foreign vehicles!). We truly need to cut funding to all non esential services. There is talk about shuting down the Secretary of State (driver's license ofiices), most of the State Police, and funding to public schools. Again I would HOPE that Amtrak funding would be the least of concerns.
Ok fine cut off the trians and then lose Michigan Amtrak jobs there goes more non tax money comming into the State.

Also stop providing transportation to the people of Michigan who can't drive or where there are no buses for them to use to get to other places in Michigan.

You have to look at the big picture $7.1 millon is nothing start cutting programs that havent been cut in years and stop cutting the small programs that have been cut down to nothing while other programs get larger amounts of funding and never get cut because of the paybacks involved.

Amtrak is transportation just like Greyhound and Indian Trails let's just cut off all transportation in Michigan and see how we do then.

As of right now the State of Michigan is in a shutdown mode since no budget has been drwan up as of right now.

This is the flyer that will be put out at stations and mabey on the trains to inform passengers of the situation.

The Blue water and Pere Marquette Amtrak trains still do not have any funding for FY 2008 from the the State Of Michigan which starts Oct 1st

The State Of Michigan will have to make a 1.8 Billon dollar cut in funding for FY2008

Now is the time to contact the Michigan House and Senate and tell them to Fund the 2 Michigan State Supported Amtrak trains the Blue water and the Pere Marquette.

Contact Information

House

Business Office

[email protected]

Clerk's Office

Ph: 517.373.0135

[email protected]

Web site address

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Senate

Secretary of the Senate

(517) 373-2400

Web site address

http://senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm

This was made by Save Our Trains Michigan

www.saveourtrainsmichigan.com
Me thinks it's going to take a lot more than some buckaroo calling from Timbucktoo to convince a politician who is in bankruptcy mode to vote for train subsidies...LOL

There is such a thing as political inertia. It's always much easier politically to start a program than to end it. It might(emphasis on might) just keep these trains running.

It used to be that most of the citizens of this country took pride in America. They purchesed American made products, supported and cared for there fellow americans. Today the Avg. American only cares about THEMSELVES! "What ever is best for ME...whatever is cheepest for ME.... " type attitudes. I try my hardest to be a true American. I have never bought or never will buy a foreign car. Why? Because I hope I can help put bread and butter on the table of one of my neighbors, and in turn that family will be able to afford to spend money at my business. If an American made product is available, I will purchase it regardless of the cost difference. And no, I have never walked into a Wal-mart owned store either. I am not looking forward to the future, America at this pace will not be a nice place to be, unless you are RICH!
Most of the gas shortages is because of China. The Chineese are using more oil then ever before. There is now more worldwide demand for oil, so the cost will go up. Again we can thank our government for letting there products into this country, and the "greedy American" trying to save a buck buying there junk. China's economy is thriving, thanks in part to Americans. Stop buying there crap and maybe the price of gas might drop, and our economy might get better.

You may get a few bucks more on your Honda / Toyota trade in, or maybe 2 -3 MPG more then a comparable american car. But how is the value of your home doing? For most people it has dropped at least 10% in the past couple years. The biggest reason is because most of our decent paying jobs have gone overseas, and people can't afford to purchase a nice house in a nice neighborhood working at Wal-Mart or the local restaurant. It will only get worse before it gets better (if ever).
This post is full of non sequitur statements, outdated perspectives and general fallacies. It is difficult to know where to start.

What is needed here seems to be a little historical perspective...In these "good old days" (whenever that was), Americans did not have the market options that they do now. The best products usually were American, because of the size and shape of our industrial infrastructure. In the post-WWII world, the USA alone had the industrial infrastructure and ability to manufacture and distribute quality products. "Made in the USA" brought a feeling of pride because the alternatives were either low-quality or non-existent. But as in all previous eras of history, that world changed. Consumers now have an abundance of choices, yet prices are, as they always were, a major factor in buying decisions.

In other words, people were proud to buy American when the availaibility of high quality, low cost products made it easy to buy American. While it sounds nice to imply that Mr. & Mrs. Suburbia of fifty years ago would STILL have purchased American products, even if comparable alternatives were available at lower prices, simply because it made them feel patriotic, I am not entirely sure that is true. It might have occurred briefly as part of a postwar euphoria, but the simple reality is that folks raised during the Great Depression (actually, most anyone before the 1980's) were much more frugal in their spending habits than consumers today. Over time they tended to gravitate toward the most economic options. As they settled into the postwar world, it is quite reasonable to believe that they, too, would have ultimately have chosen cheaper products, even those not made in the USA, if said products were abundantly and consistently available. Cold, harsh economics may well have trumped their purported patriotism, over time.

This claim ignores virtually every business and marketing paradigm, in favor of feel-good Detroit propaganda. I like the way that the Chinese get blamed for high gas prices in this analysis, depite the fact that our own nation consumes more fuel than a good portion of the world combined. I am not a Keynesian economist, nor do I buy into the "America takes more than its fair share" rhetoric of the left. But neither can I pretend that everything is the fault of increased Chinese consumption, when there are many geopolitical factors, including not only China, but ongoing tensions in the Middle East and Africa, storm cycles along the Gulf Coast, a failing U.S. mortgage industry, and increased U.S. consumption, largely from SUV's, but also from a growing population. The OP's commentary stands out as little more than an infomercial from the U.S. auto industry, during a week that it needs to divert attention away from its own labor woes.

This type of argument was common in the seventies and eighties, when Japanese cars were first coming into this country in large numbers. Lee Iaccoca used briefly it to his advantage (I followed his lead and made sure to buy a 1984 Chrysler, because my family was very pro-American), but by the early nineties Americans were realizing that their Hondas and Toyotas were lasting much longer, were more fuel-economical (and not just the smaller models), were recalled less frequently and were generally more reliable. Moreover, as has been pointed out here, many foreign cars are now being made in the USA, and we have American cars being manufactured in Canada and Mexico. So the old Detroit "buy American" compaign is 25 years out of date.

One gets several thousand dollars, rather than "a few bucks more" on Honda/Toyota trade-ins. One typically gets 8-14 miles more, rather than 2-3, MPG on a Honda or Toyota, plus a greater chance that said vehicle takes regular fuel. One notices the way that considerable differences in fuel economy and trade-in value amounts are footnoted or otherwise brushed aside, as if they were of minor importance, whereas every survey shows that these are among the top reasons for consumer's preferences for those Accords, Civics, Camrys and Corollas.

As for the value of homes, the above remarks are even harder to fathom. Real estate prices in this country have dipped over the past 12-18 months for the first time in many years. Having said that, until this recent, relatively modest dip (nowhere near 10% in most regions), most homes in this country appreciated at an astonishing rate over the past two decades; indeed, the increases of 1998-2005, particularly during 2003-2005, were the last before the proverbial bubble burst. Even with the recent drop, one would be extremely hard-pressed to find many homes whose value today is less than they were ten years go. The most basic internet research on housing prices over the past ten years will bear this out. No major ecomonic analysis anywhere claims otherwise.

The biggest reason is because most of our decent paying jobs have gone overseas, and people can't afford to purchase a nice house in a nice neighborhood working at Wal-Mart or the local restaurant. It will only get worse before it gets better (if ever).
That's funny--all the news reports seem to be reporting the collapse of mortgage corporations precisely because SO MANY folks were buying homes, especially new homes, including many people who should not have qualified for loans. Part of why new housing stayed affordable was the use of cheap labor, often illegally, from immigrants, but, of course new, "creative financing options" were also responsible, especially since most people's homes today are much larger than those of the previous generation. Only in the past 18 months, when property taxes in many communities and, in Florida, Texas and along the Gilf Coast, insurance rates, skyrocketed, did people begin to question the wisdom of their mega-investments.

In other words, the housing market was in fairly robust health until after Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma, at which time the bubble burst (in a series of events reminiscent of the Florida real estate boom in the 1920's ending with the 1926 hurricane in Miami). But for eight-plus of the past ten years, people were riding high, and their home values are still much higher than they were in the 1990's, which is why the property taxes hurt now.

In short, while I am a veteran and a proud supporter of this country in every way, let us not be subjected to 1970's "Buy American" rhetoric when the U.S. and world markets have changed so dramatically since that time. The Detroit auto industry is one of the few that still occasionally float these balloons. I am not a great lover of globalization; I bemoan the lack of American manufacturing infrastructure and wonder what can be done to reclaim it. However, I also recognize that union-inspired flag-waving alone will not do it, least of all from an industry whose historic greed, both from management and organized labor, had much to do with its own demise.

As of today there still is no Budget for the State of Michigan which means the State is getting very close to a government shutdown.
For now, there will be a 30 day continuance for Michigan Government, and still there is nothing for Amtrak at this point, but time will tell. In the very near future we will know the fate of the two Michigan Amtrak routes.

Not only is the state in trouble, but most of the residents and businesss are hurting financially too (thanks to those who drive foreign vehicles!).
Don't even go there!

My family was employed by the domestic auto industry (Ford and Chrysler) and we had a home in suburban Detroit for several years.

I used to tell people it was un-American to buy a foreign car, but I don't say that anymore!

It's un-American for these big billion dollar companies to sell people cars that fall to pieces after a few thousand miles. It's un-American to sell these cars through slick, shady dealerships that are bound and determined to rip people off and make them feel about two inches tall. It's un-American to refuse to service these cars properly when they are still under warranty.

And people wonder why Michigan is in such a mess! The American auto industry is its own worst enemy and it has been for at least 30 years. Michigan would do well, as the governor says, to diversify its economy and quit depending so much on an industry that simply does not care.

If they don't do something radical, Amtrak will have no choice but to eliminate its services there because there won't be anybody left to ride the trains.

By the way, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, and Mitsubishi all build hundreds of thousands of cars in the United States.

At this time there is still no budget for the State of Michigan and the Blue water and Pere Marquette Amtrak trains are running on the $900,000 left over from FY 2007.

At this time the democrats want no cuts in the Budget the republicans want to make cuts and lower the taxes.

So it is a stale mate on getting anything done because both sides just vote each other down.

Two rail lines in Michigan, the Pere Marquette and Blue Water, received about $6.2 million combined last year in state funding. This year's funding has yet to be determined. "We hope that everything is OK," said Therese Cody, Michigan Department of Transportation rail operating programs manager. "But until the budget is done nobody knows anything."
(The preceding report by Jeremy Gonsior was published by the Holland Sentinel on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2007.)

October 25, 2007
http://www.utu.org/worksite/detail_news.cfm?ArticleID=38775

Save Our Trains Michigan will hold a Rally at the East Lansing Amtrak station starting at 7am until the train departs the station.

The station is located at 1240 South Harrison Road

This rally is being done for the reason of no State Budget and at this time the State has until Oct 31st to come up with a Budget.

MDOT today told the news media that they still do not know if Amtrak will get funded and we can not take the chance of doing nothing.

At this time there is still no budget for the State of Michigan and the Blue water and Pere Marquette Amtrak trains are running on the $900,000 left over from FY 2007.
Cool. Are you saying that they were overfunded to the tune of $1,000,000 last year? Wonder how many other MI groups were over funded by such an amount.

I'm finding the arguments that are flying around out there quite amusing. It all boils down to this, with regards to trains, planes and automobiles: If government needs to get involved with their cash book, then the people don't want it bad enough to pay the real cost of having it. Trailways & Greyhound aren't subsidized like Amtrak. Sure, they drive on roads that are maintained by the State and the Feds, but unless we want to turn our highways into 100% toll roads, let's leave it at that. The railroads privately own their infrastructure. There is no inherent "right" to demand that these private entities provide transit for the public.

I love passenger rail - much more than the frieghts. But I recognize that there is an extremely small demand for long distance passenger rail service. If there was, Amtrak would never have been created.

I was completely devastated when Mexico dropped their passenger trains. I got to ride one once back in 1991. That was the last passenger run in Mexico (one system in the West excepted).

It's the same nostalgia and passion that keeps us wanting to buy American cars. I bought a GM and it literally fell apart in less than 3 years. I have a 10 year old Camry that is about as good as it was they day it was bought.

If there's any nostalgia left to hang on to in this country, it's that we have the right to choose what we want and to offer payment for that. If the provider is willing to trade, then a transaction takes place. None of this nonsense of where it came from and who made it and whether or not a purple lizard was harmed in the making of your purchase.

I work in aviation. If people suddenly want to stop flying, then I'm out of a job. I've lost my job twice already. What have I done? I go out and find another one. It's inconvienient and expensive, but if I wanted to stay put, I'd figure out how to sell cabbage patch kids at the mall. But I love what I do. I love building airplanes, but I don't like the way Southwest Airlines lobbies against passenger rail in Texas. I do my job, though.

When we make our budget at home, I have to resign to the fact that I can't eat out every single day. If Michigan can't afford Amtrak, they need to let it go.

Michigan has a serious problem. They're advertising all across the country to entice companies to move there. Hardly anyone is moving, though. In fact many are moving out. They need to cut taxes on businesses and individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back