Middle of the night connection in NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I am thinking of taking the overnight train from BWI Airport (Baltimore) to New York Penn. The Regional train arrives in NYP at 2:15am. The reason I want to do this is to catch a 7:15am flight from JFK, and to avoid the expence of a hotel near JFK. First of all, I am a little aprehensive about being in Queens in the middle of the night by myself. I'm thinking if I stay in the stations I should be ok, but even Jamaica station I have to go out on the street to get to the Airtrain. So those of you who live in the area (Alan)...would I be ok? I see I can catch the LIRR to Jamaica. Will that be a little safer than the E or A subways at that time of day? Should I wait inside Penn Station waiting area till about 5am, or I wondering if i can get inside security at JFK to wait there instead around 3 or 4am. I'll be flying AA out of terminal 9.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

First off the LIRR would be easier than the subway, probably a little bit safer, but certainly a little more expensive. It will cost you $2.75 more than the subway to reach Jamaica or a total of $4.75 vs the 2 buck subway fare.

The LIRR would certainly be more comfortable and again probably safer than the subway. That's not to say that the subway is horribly unsafe either. Just sit in the same car with the conductor and you should be fine.

Both stations for the subway, 34th Street and Sutphin Blvd are heavily used stations, so even late at night you'll find other people around and quite possibly a cop too.

Either way, once you reach Jamaica, it is not necessary to go outside and onto the street. From the subway a new bank of 3 elevators are available, just outside the fare control area and slightly to the right. The elevator will take you either to the station level, which you don't want, or the overpass level that you do want.

If you arrive via the LIRR, then just walk up the steps or escalator to the overpass. It's closer to the front of the train, so sit up forward. Either way, once you are on the overpass, walk south or to your right if you are coming from a LIRR platform. It's straight out of the elevator. The overpass will take you right into the AirTrain concourse where you can buy a $5 Metrocard if you don't already have one.

The Metrocard is the only way to pay for the ride on the Airtrain.

JFK of course never closes, so you should have no trouble getting past security. The only question might be, will you know what gate your plane is departing from yet.

Alan is on the money regarding the trains, take the LIRR there. Easiest connection for you and you don't have to deal with the late night trains nor the people who ride them. I prefered the LIRR concourse at Penn Station over the Amtrak concourse in terms of safety, more people there at 2am and they looked and sounded alot friendlier... And if you need a quick snack or cup of coffee the McDonalds in the LIRR area has some of the best McDonalds food I've ever tasted B)

AlanB said:
Chris,

The LIRR would certainly be more comfortable and again probably safer than the subway. That's not to say that the subway is horribly unsafe either. Just sit in the same car with the conductor and you should be fine.

Both stations for the subway, 34th Street and Sutphin Blvd are heavily used stations, so even late at night you'll find other people around and quite possibly a cop too.

Either way, once you reach Jamaica, it is not necessary to go outside and onto the street. From the subway a new bank of 3 elevators are available, just outside the fare control area and slightly to the right. The elevator will take you either to the station level, which you don't want, or the overpass level that you do want.

If you arrive via the LIRR, then just walk up the steps or escalator to the overpass. It's closer to the front of the train, so sit up forward. Either way, once you are on the overpass, walk south or to your right if you are coming from a LIRR platform. It's straight out of the elevator. The overpass will take you right into the AirTrain concourse where you can buy a $5 Metrocard if you don't already have one.
Well the reason I ask about the Jamaica station is last time I arrived on the E subway line and the signs pointed me out on the street which was sort of fenced in and to the main entrance of the Airtrain off the street. And this was just yesterday. (Sunday)

I haven't decided whether to board Amtrak at BWI or PHL. I can fly to either. I'd get a longer and more expensive train ride from BWI, but would have more time to sleep. Going to PHL, I would have to catch the SEPTA to 30th St. Station. Hopefully the Quiet car or Business class upgrade will be available.

Chris

saxman66 said:
Well the reason I ask about the Jamaica station is last time I arrived on the E subway line and the signs pointed me out on the street which was sort of fenced in and to the main entrance of the Airtrain off the street. And this was just yesterday. (Sunday)
Well when we went through on our railfest back on the 15th, we used the elevators. Perhaps they didn't take down the old signs, or perhaps they were having problems with the new elevators.

Were you there late at night? Or maybe it was because it was Sunday and they were doing work on the overpass, which still isn't finished. But if you go that way, make sure that you look for the elevators to your right as you exit the turnstyles.

Having taken many late night subway and LIRR trips I would say sometimes you need to be wary of those on the late night LIRR trains as well. That said, I would take the LIRR over the subway as it is faster and while the subway isn't as bad as it used to be the A train runs through East New York and Bed Stuy which are two neighborhoods you do not want to be in (especially on a subway late at night). Also, while I have taken the E many times between midtown and Jamaica Sutphin Blvd. that area too can draw its share of undesireables. The connection to airtrain is quick and straightforward from the LIRR concourse and if you haven't been on one you might be able to ride on an M-7 and let us know what you think about it.

As a long island resident, I too suggest taking the LIRR to jamaica and riding the airtrain to jfk. I did this last june and found it quick & convient. Also the airtrain itself was nice and smooth riding. Got to the jet blue terminal in 10 min.

AlanB said:
saxman66 said:
Well when we went through on our railfest back on the 15th, we used the elevators. Perhaps they didn't take down the old signs, or perhaps they were having problems with the new elevators.

Were you there late at night? Or maybe it was because it was Sunday and they were doing work on the overpass, which still isn't finished. But if you go that way, make sure that you look for the elevators to your right as you exit the turnstyles.
No I went through about the middle of the day. I guess I didn't pay much attention as I was in a hurry, and just followed the signs. So guess I'm takin the LIRR from Penn Station. I should be racking alot of flight miles this weekend, with 10 flights booked

Chris

Back