Milwaukee-Madison high-speed rail route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Concurrently, the Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation just submitted their funding request package to the FRA. It includes building a 150 MPH high speed route between OKC and Tulsa, improving the OKC to Texas border BNSF Red Rock Sub to allow 90 MPH operation of the Heartland Flyer and double tracking that line between OKC and Norman.

Concurrently, the Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation just submitted their funding request package to the FRA. It includes building a 150 MPH high speed route between OKC and Tulsa, improving the OKC to Texas border BNSF Red Rock Sub to allow 90 MPH operation of the Heartland Flyer and double tracking that line between OKC and Norman.
150mph? They're either going to be getting the best diesel never made or going for broke with an electrified line. I suppose its the diesel option.

I'm surprised the Wisconsin project costs that much. It's more than the 3-C project.

I'm surprised the Wisconsin project costs that much. It's more than the 3-C project.
Well first, Wisconsin is buying the Talgos for this. Second, the route is about 100 miles longer than the 3C's. And finally I believe that they want either 90 MPH or 110 MPH running, whereas Ohio is only looking to get to 79 MPH initially.

150mph? They're either going to be getting the best diesel never made or going for broke with an electrified line. I suppose its the diesel option.

Current plans call for a dedicated electrified line and artist conceptions show TGV type trains. Of course this is just concept and even though plans are to have dirt turning next year, be certain studies and those "unforeseen delays" will keep this many, many years away. The BNSF upgrades will likely be much more realistic.

Well first, Wisconsin is buying the Talgos for this. Second, the route is about 100 miles longer than the 3C's. And finally I believe that they want either 90 MPH or 110 MPH running, whereas Ohio is only looking to get to 79 MPH initially.
Fair enough. I wonder how the Feds are going to slice this cash... I mean if they only throw in 100 million and the rest is on the state, it may be a dealbreaker for a lot of projects. I know Ohio needs about half the initial costs...

Current plans call for a dedicated electrified line and artist conceptions show TGV type trains. Of course this is just concept and even though plans are to have dirt turning next year, be certain studies and those "unforeseen delays" will keep this many, many years away. The BNSF upgrades will likely be much more realistic.
Good for them. It still sounds like a far-fetched idea but we all have dreams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, the Milwaukee-Madison route is only about 80-90 miles total; I thought the 3Cs was longer?

Um, the Milwaukee-Madison route is only about 80-90 miles total; I thought the 3Cs was longer?
258 miles for the propose 3-C route.

Oops, quite right. Somehow I had Minneapolis-St. Paul on my mind when I measured things.

1. The Talgo purchase is completely separate from the MKE-MAD line. The Talgos have already been approved for purchase.

2. The 3-C line three times as long as the MKE-MAD line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back