Minor derailment in Vermont

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
According to my sources in New England the Soubthbound Vermonter (P055-11) put the Amtrak 21 on the ground this morning. The Vermonter was reportedly going through a 10 MPH curve just north of Bellow's Falls, VT when the rails spread on them placing the lead engine on the ground, no cars derailed. At 1 PM this afternoon the crew was still trying to rerail the engine. It's believed that the set will go back to St. Albans where it will wye and leave the 21 for another crew to bring back to New Haven (Amtrak operating rules state that an engine must recieve new wheels before its used again in revenue service). The 817 was on the other end of the train and will probably lead the train to Palmer tomorrow. The other train (with the Amtrak 205 and 198) was annulled, with bustitution between Springfield and St. Albans. Passengers from 55 were accomodated on other trains.

battalion51 said:
According to my sources in New England the Soubthbound Vermonter (P055-11) put the Amtrak 21 on the ground this morning. The Vermonter was reportedly going through a 10 MPH curve just north of Bellow's Falls, VT when the rails spread on them placing the lead engine on the ground, no cars derailed. At 1 PM this afternoon the crew was still trying to rerail the engine. It's believed that the set will go back to St. Albans where it will wye and leave the 21 for another crew to bring back to New Haven (Amtrak operating rules state that an engine must recieve new wheels before its used again in revenue service). The 817 was on the other end of the train and will probably lead the train to Palmer tomorrow. The other train (with the Amtrak 205 and 198) was annulled, with bustitution between Springfield and St. Albans. Passengers from 55 were accomodated on other trains.
Luckily none of the passenger cars ended up on the ground. There is already a shortage, and having to have wheels replaced would just increase it. Dose CSX own the track where the train derailed or New England Central?

The Vermonter runs on CSX only for 20 miles to Plamer, where it runs on New England Central for the next 230 miles.

Ive actually been to the Falls, as we were taking the Green Mountain ( I believe that is what its called) railway. It was quite a while ago, but I remember that the tracks came out of a tunnel right in the middle of town, and then onto this very tight curve, that also held the station.

P.S.-Im back from Aruba! :)

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Ive actually been to the Falls, as we were taking the Green Mountain ( I believe that is what its called) railway.
I've also been to Bellows Falls, years ago. On four seperate occasions riding behind steam, back when Steamtown USA used to be located in Bellows Falls.

Now a days they reside in Scraton PA.

One correction, it was the 817 that hit the ground not the 21. My source had the direction of the engines orineted backwards. 817 is currently in Albany, and the 21 is working with the 205 on the Vermonter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back