Misleading terminology--railroads

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
There is a long forum here discussing "union" vs "terminal ". My position on that is that while such terms probably had a clear, definate meaning originally, I think that all kind of got blurred with the passage of time. Also mentioned is that some train names were mis-leading, like calling a train an express when it is the slowest train on the route. (perhaps it had been the fastest when first put in service, but things change.)

It was also pointed out that railroad names like St. Louis San Francisco R.R. (which did not go to SF) and Atchsion Topkea and Santa Fe(which did not go to Santa Fe, at least, and maybe not Atchison, not sure) ) were misleading. Superliner Diner suggested time for a new topic so here it is.

Mis-leading railroad names. Here is for a starter, I am sure others will come up with more.

Pennsyvlania .RR (it served many states besides Pennsylvania).

New York Central(served many states besides NY)

Atlantic Coast Line(certainly did go down the coast but also had branches from JAX to BHM and JAX to ATL, not very coastal)

Seaboard---very apt, except it also had a line to BHM, not very "seabordish".

Southern Pacific(certainly did that but also went on up to Portland, from California, and Oakland to Salt Lake City, not very "southern")

Missouri Pacific(went to many states besides Missouri, but nothing very "Pacific")

Louisville and Nashville(probably started between those two cities but expanded well beyond them).

Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis(did not go to St.louis but some of its interline trains did).

These are what come to mind at first thought. No doubt many more could be cited.

On the other hand , one of the most letter perfect names was Florida East Coast. That is exactly 100 % what it did--no less, no more.

B&O and C&O went many other places besides the places named in their titles.

Southern went in the South.

Monon is interesting, a small town in Indiana, but I think the "real" name was Chicago, Indianapolis and Louisville Railway Company, which is where it went

The 'traditional' AT&SF did serve Topeka (main line) and Santa Fe (brach from Lamy, NM). THat railroad did not serve Atchison, KS with it's own trackage.

Back