Missed Connection and Sleepers

• Thread starter Silent Observer
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Silent Observer

I have enjoyed reading this board for a long time and have logged quite a few miles on Amtrak over the last couple of years. Thank you all for information you have provided. I am sure this next question has been asked before but I don't recall the answer.

I leave tomorrow NYP-EMY taking the LSL and connecting with the Zeyphr. I noted here and by checking the Amtrak website that the LSL is doing so well and has missed this connection a few times over the last few weeks. I see that I can catch the Southwest Chief to LA then thruway bus Bakers Field and Train 715 to EMY if I just miss the connection. What happens to my sleeper reservation in this case? The website says bedrooms are available oon the Chief. I like Amtrak but I REFUSE to spend two days in coach. Any Guidance?

Wait to see if you make the connection first. :lol: If you do miss the connection then ask if the next days Zephyr has rooms available. If not then go with the Chief option, or you can take the Builder to Portland, and connect to the Zephyr, pending sleeper availability. If all else fails, request they fly you to Oakland.

Silent Observer said:
I have enjoyed reading this board for a long time and have logged quite a few miles on Amtrak over the last couple of years. Thank you all for information you have provided. I am sure this next question has been asked before but I don't recall the answer.
I leave tomorrow NYP-EMY taking the LSL and connecting with the Zeyphr. I noted here and by checking the Amtrak website that the LSL is doing so well and has missed this connection a few times over the last few weeks. I see that I can catch the Southwest Chief to LA then thruway bus Bakers Field and Train 715 to EMY if I just miss the connection. What happens to my sleeper reservation in this case? The website says bedrooms are available oon the Chief. I like Amtrak but I REFUSE to spend two days in coach. Any Guidance?
If you miss the Zephyr, you can certainly request to be transfered to the SW Chief. However there is only 45 minutes difference between the departure of the two trains, so odds are that if the LSL is that close, they may well hold the Zephyr for the connection. Especially if there are several passengers transfering to the Zephyr.

They might also throw you on a bus to catch up with the Zephyr a stop or two down the road. Regardless the connection is guarenteed so Amtrak must get you to your destination.

With a guaranteed connection, Amtrak will bus you, fly you, put you on an alternate train, or put you up for the night and put you on the next day's train. However, in ALL cases, they only guarantee coach travel. If sleeper space is unavailable, their only obligation is to refund the sleeper charges (whether caused by a missed connection or just a bad-ordered sleeper with no spare equipment available).

One addendum to that, but they must still provide you (even as a sleeping car patron) transportation to your final destination. but if space is not available they will refund you the price of the sleeper. Should that happen to you, I would tell the Conductor as you board that you were supposed to be in a sleeper, it got cancelled, and you would like to upgrade should there be a no show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back