Missed connection - what is the procedure for rebooking?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colobok

Service Attendant
I am just wondering - if I miss my connection - how do I get rebooked for the next train?

Should I go to the ticket office at the station and they will try to rebook me?

Or I need to call 1-800 number and ask them to do that?

Can I call Amtrak to rebook me if my train has not arrived yet, but I see that it's running late?

Or Amtrak will call me?

Well if you miss your connection in Chicago, assuming that they don't board someone onto your train to deal with things, then you head to the Customer Service office opposite the ticket windows to get rebooked and told what Amtrak is going to do to get you where you're supposed to be.

This is not to say that you can't also be proactive depending on the circumstances. That is to say that if you can tell for sure that you're going to miss both the Capitol and the Lake Shore, then you could call Amtrak ahead of time and at least place an unpaid reservation for a room on the next day's Capitol assuming that one is still available. That would enable CS to simply grab that room and redo your reservation to put you into it.

Whereas if you wait until you reach Chicago and get to CS and they run out of rooms, you could be going coach the next day.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a line at the ticket office you may do faster to do your rebook over the phone if you know an overnight is involved and by the time you get face to face with an Agent to get your hotel and meal money you're all set as far as the next day's train. On the other hand, if they have arranged Alternate Transportation (aka Bus City) instead, you need to go right to the Customer Service Agent.

Well if you miss your connection in Chicago, assuming that they don't board someone onto your train to deal with things, then you head to the Customer Service office opposite the ticket windows to get rebooked and told what Amtrak is going to do to get you where you're supposed to be.

This is not to say that you can't also be proactive depending on the circumstances. That is to say that if you can tell for sure that you're going to miss both the Capitol and the Lake Shore, then you could call Amtrak ahead of time and at least place an unpaid reservation for a room on the next day's Capitol assuming that one is still available. That would enable CS to simply grab that room and redo your reservation to put you into it.

Whereas if you wait until you reach Chicago and get to CS and they run out of rooms, you could be going coach the next day.
I agree Alan. I have called ahead to explore options when very late into CHI. It is a good use of your cell phone. Even if they board an agent in route at least you know what your options are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back