Modified Dining Car Service on Lake Shore Limited Effective 7/20/16

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, if they replaced the diners with EB PDX version of boxed meals, I'd be happy with it, but the extra lounge heated burgers not so much.
Sorry, but reminds me of the Swanson TV dinners I ate, back when I first started living on my own after graduation. :eek:hboy:
LOL, sure beats getting something like this instead.

IMG_0456 by B H, on Flickr

If that was me, I would replace a can of diet Pepsi with a can of beer. I would rather imbibe with beer than have my teeth wear out from the Pepsi. But a good combination otherwise. I usually get burgers, chips, and a can of beer for a lunch substitution, for rides less than 12 hours (such as my Portland-Klamath runs)

If that was me, I would replace a can of diet Pepsi with a can of beer. I would rather imbibe with beer than have my teeth wear out from the Pepsi. But a good combination otherwise. I usually get burgers, chips, and a can of beer for a lunch substitution, for rides less than 12 hours (such as my Portland-Klamath runs)
It was the "Combo" meal they serve on the Surfliner. You can pick a soda but no beer. I've asked :D But what you are not seeing in this picture, are two single serve bottles of wine that I already finished that comes with the business class ticket :)

It was the "Combo" meal they serve on the Surfliner. You can pick a soda but no beer. I've asked :D But what you are not seeing in this picture, are two single serve bottles of wine that I already finished that comes with the business class ticket :)
My bad, did not know it was a Surfliner. I was going to say that's how I get when I do short hops on the CS. For a second, I thought it did not look like the Surfliner.

You won't need a reservation for breakfast. Just show up and you will be seated.

Dinner is the only meal that you have to have a seating time. Lunch seems to be about 50/50.

Yesterday (7/20/2016) was the last day of Full Diner service on 48. Our own Alan is on board to report on it.

Alan also experienced the Diner in Lounge service on his way out last week on 49. He said that the thing missing was the Steak. He had the Crab Cakes and he said it was fine. I would be OK if the Crab Cakes and the Chicken are still available.

Now that Steak Island™ is apparently sinking beneath the waves I wonder which remaining entree become the standard bearing replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until they find a vacuum packed version of Steak LOL! :D
beef-match.jpg

:)

Any word on what has changed on the breakfast menu? I will be on 49 into Chicago this weekend. I hope it's better than what's offered on the Cardinal or CONO!!

So does that mean the diner is no longer included with the ticket price for rooms, or is it just going to be different food?

We have an LSL trip planned NYP-Chicago, but if it's a severe reduction in service maybe we'll consider switching to NER to WAS and riding the Capitol Limited instead. We've never taken either line so we can be flexible!

So does that mean the diner is no longer included with the ticket price for rooms, or is it just going to be different food?

We have an LSL trip planned NYP-Chicago, but if it's a severe reduction in service maybe we'll consider switching to NER to WAS and riding the Capitol Limited instead. We've never taken either line so we can be flexible!
My impression is that it was going to service similar to the Cardinal. So it is included, for what it is worth.

The CAF thing is turning out to be one of the most spectacular failures of the Boardman regime at Amtrak. Good intentions but very poor execution.
The price of rewarding bad behavior and expecting different results? Same management that allowed the Super Steel Turboliner rebuild to produce nothing but money down the toilet and fancy trains that sit hidden in a rail yard collecting dust and rust.

Now that Steak Island™ is apparently sinking beneath the waves I wonder which remaining entree become the standard bearing replacement.
If this is going on, any word of similar cuts to other LD trains (besides the obvious LSL, Cardinal, Silver Starvation, or CONO)? I surely would not like it if I found out that the steak was gone on my multiple-night trips.

Currently this should affect only the single level trains. If they lose the next set of Heritage Diners, I surmise it is the Crescent that will get hit next.

When (if) the CAF Diners start arriving, this trend will get reversed hopefully.

You won't need a reservation for breakfast. Just show up and you will be seated.

Dinner is the only meal that you have to have a seating time. Lunch seems to be about 50/50.
what are the typical breakfast items available on this train? and what kind prices?

Thanks!

Until they find a vacuum packed version of Steak LOL! :D
beef-match.jpg

:)
Not that kind. What is used is pre-plated (including sides like mashed potato) prepared things vacuum packed, so that they can just be unpacked, heated in convection oven and served.

Too much talk about the Crescent not having a diner in this thread for me. We are going to be on the Crescent in late August.....any odds on us having a full diner?

No ingredients list. I'm a bit worried by the lack of scrambled eggs, given the presence of omelet. Are they still using actual eggs, or are they using adulterated egg mix (contaminated with milk, for example, which my girlfriend is allergic to?) I'll have to ask, I guess...

And I still can't eat anything for lunch or dinner, due to the lack of ingredients list. Geez, they could have introduced the packaged meals on the Silver Star at least?

Back