More advice please!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Okay guys as usual with this type of thing the more I research the harder it is to make up my mind...

Here is the situation: I want to do another nice rail trip this summer (last summer we did LAX-ORL-LAX on the Sunset LTD). It will be me & hubby and our 3 year old son taking the vacation.

I have a $2000 United Airlines travel credit so I could fly somewhere and then take the train to maximize my time (and budget too) I really HATE flying and if I do fly I want to minimize connections, etc. My choices for non stop flights from San Diego include: Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, Philly, Pittsburg, DC or New York.

I have already got the low down on the Empire Bldr (and right now that is what we are planning PDX-CHI) we have also researched the CA Zephyr, and the Coast Starlight.

But before I commit and buy our tickets I just want to make sure that I consider a few alternatives.

I think would be interesting to travel on a Viewliner train for at least part or all of a trip to try something new. We could start in CHI and end up back East or fly to Philly or something completely different.

I know nothing about any of the trains in the Eastern part of the country and was wondering if any of you had an suggestions for me of some trains to consider that are great routes or even ones to avoid.

Thanks!

Hi Radsmom,

Wow, a $2,000 credit from United?? Sweet! I myself would use it to take a European vacation (if it doens't have to be used by this year). That would get the three of you to Germany or England easily. I wouldn't waste it on US travel. Stick to the trains here.

Just what I would do :)

If you want something different, I would do a segment of the Coast Starlight so that you can make use of the Pacific parlour Car, something the other trains don't have. Alternately, since you are going to be in the northwest, have you thought about going up to Vancouver and doing a segment on Via Rail's great train, The Canadian, which is arguably one of the nicest well-managed classiest trains on EARTH (even compared to European trains, which I've spent hundreds of hours on). You could go to the fantastic national parks in British Columbia.

My advice: For now, for this summer, I'd forget the east coast trip. There's not enough difference between a Superliner and Viewliner to make it a big deal; and the east coast (and south) will be HOT HOT HOT that time of year. I'd stick with a couple long distance trains westward. You really ought to do the California Zephyr at some point heading west.

I guess if you don't want to do anything in Canada (and you really ought to check out some websites for Vancouver and Jasper and VIA RAIL), then do your Empire Builder route, then back to the coast on the CZ, then the CS up to Portland or down to San Diego. I'm not sure where you are from.

Geez. That was longwinded. E-mail me if you want to ask any questions of me. I did a fairly extensive trip last summer. [email protected]

Radsmom,

Well if you do decide to come east of Chicago, then I would recomend that you take the Lake Shore Limited if you want to see the Viewliner and single level equipment.

The Three Rivers is a nice train and it passes through the Historic Horseshoe Curve in Pennsylvania. However I see it having two problems for you. One it does not have a diner, so you would have to take your meals in the lounge/cafe car. Second and perhaps more important to you, it does not leave Chicago until 10:30 PM at night. To me that just seems a little late to keep a three-year-old up and entertained, even if it is in a nice Metropolitan lounge.

The Lake Shore on the other hand, does run with a full diner and it leaves at 7:00 PM. It also has some beautiful scenery through western NY State and a lovely view coming down the Hudson River south of Albany.

Price-wise both trains will cost about the same, even though one has a full diner and the other does not. One word of caution, the Viewliners only have two deluxe bedrooms per car, unlike the five in a Superliner. That means that the Lake Shore only has four deluxe bedrooms to NY and two to Boston. Therefore they sell out quickly during the summer, so don't wait too long to make up your mind and book if you want to come east.

Thanks those are some good thoughts - jeez I stayed online until almost 2am last night reading trip reports and pricing itineraries! As you know a nice Amtrak trip is not without its priciness so I just want to make sure that we have considered a few options. Also traveling with a 3 year old has a few challenges too so I have to keep him in mind when I am making plans. I still have decided yet so tonight I will probably do some more research. I really want to ride on a Viewliner train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back