More Illinois HSR upgrades

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the news articles on this have been very clear. I don't believe this $685 million is "new" funding (i.e., from FL), but rather just another portion of the $1.2 billion (ish) that IL has already been awarded.

None of the news articles on this have been very clear. I don't believe this $685 million is "new" funding (i.e., from FL), but rather just another portion of the $1.2 billion (ish) that IL has already been awarded.

I don't think so either; I'd imagine those won't be announced for a while, I don't think the bids are even due for a couple weeks. Probably this was just another chunk of the money that UP, Amtrak, the feds and the state government came to an agreement on. Probably like what happened with Washington and North Carolina recently.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think so either; I'd imagine those won't be announced for a while, I don't think the bids are even due for a couple weeks. Probably this was just another chunk of the money that UP, Amtrak, the feds and the state government came to an agreement on. Probably like what happened with Washington and North Carolina recently.
It's not new funding, this is still part of the initial grant to Illinois, with a bit of the follow-up monies from Wisconsin & Ohio. This is phase II of the project, phase I started last year. I'm not sure how many phases they've actually planned.

Back