More questions....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze

Train Attendant
Ok I'm leaving on Wednesday and I wanted to know, for luggage, can a huge square luggage fit? You know the kind you would take on a plane or would I have to bring one of those little luggage bags on rollers? Also how many times can I go back and forth to my luggage to get things, like my blanket, pillow, cd walkman or my things for the bathroom?

I want to only have to bring one luggage and not have so many to carry, but I also don't want it to be a problem going back and forth everytime to get things. I thought about bringing a smaller size bag to put on the top racks or the side of me, for bathroom things, cd walkman and blanket, but then I was like if I decide to go to the lounge, I don't want to leave it there for anyone to even think about taking and plus my pillow is like a bed size pillow, so it will only probably fit in my bigger luggage. I definetly don't want to keep it in the racks and end up without a pillow to sleep on!! ;)

Any suggestions??? Thanks all :D

Also my mom is dropping me off.. can she wait with me until it's time for me to board? Oh and it saids my train leaves 6:45pm, is the Southwest usually on time? What about Lake Shore limited? Ok so if I get to the station at 5:30pm, is that good timing or should I get there earlier just in case the train arrives in early and decides to leave early? Oh and when I get to Chicago, should I just go straight to the area where they board? Say it arrives in Chicago at around 5pm, of course late...do I have to chill or just go to the boarding area, to make sure I don't miss anything? I'm praying when I arrive in Chicago, the train is not as late enough to pass the 7pm departure time! :blink:

Ok, first the luggage question. I've quoted Amtrak's policy below, so as long as your big suitcase does not exceed the size mentioned below, then you can take it. Also be careful that you don't exceed the 50-pound weight.

Each piece of carry-on luggage is not to exceed the specified dimensions of a medium-sized Pullman suitcase (28"x22"x14"). If space allows, a passenger may be permitted one carry-on bag that is larger than the acceptable per unit dimensions. However, this bag may not exceed the dimensions of two Pullman suitcases of the allowable size. No carry-on luggage of any type be permitted on board that obviously exceeds 50 lbs. in weight.
Now as long as you don't check your bag with the baggage checking service, meaning that you carry it onto the train yourself, then you can go back and forth to your suitcase as often as you like. Just be careful not to annoy your seatmate, if you have one. If you keep climbing over them every 10 minutes, then they might start to get annoyed. :lol:

Blanket, pillow, clothes, & toiletries should be safe no matter what. Always bring your wallet/purse with you no matter where you go. Walkman should either go with you or at least be out of sight or preferably locked in your suitcase. If you have a seatmate, then usually one can trust them to watch over your walkman, but again money goes with you no matter what.

I've not heard of many problems with theft, but don't temp the fates.

Next, assuming that your mom can find a parking spot (I'm not sure just how easy that is in LA), then she can certainly wait with you in the waiting room. This is not like the airport, where she can't get near the gate. They probably won't however let her go out to the train with you when they call for boarding. You will have to say goodbye at the gate.

Arriving at 5:30 seems like a good time to me, but I don't know how bad LA traffic might be, so make sure that you have enough time for traffic. If you don't already have your tickets and have to pick them up at the station, then you might want to get there at 5:15 then.

As for Chicago, if you’re running late then they will probably tell you what to do while on board. If they don't make an announcement on board, then there usually is an Amtrak employee right as you walk into the station. Ask them what to do and they will guide you to where you need to be. Heck, even if the train is on time you can ask that employee for help and have them advise you.

Assuming an on-time departure, they usually board the Chief between 6:00-6:15.

5:30 arrival goal at station would be good if you are not familiar with the area. It's the Alameda offramp on 101.

Your train will not leave LA early.....cannot leave early......they never leave a station early except for some very special situations in the North East corrider and another place or two which do not apply to you at all. Leaving early would leave people behind. As for arriving early, they can certainly do that, but your train is ORIGINATING in LA, not stopping there en route from somewhere else. Meaning, that the set of equipment you go out in would probably have arrived many hours earlier that morning, been cleaned, serviced, etc and made ready for a 6.45 p.m. departure. It having arrived early,from Chicago, if it did, would have no bearing on its departure time. two different things entirely. Apples and oranges. Nor will your eastbound train leave Chicago early.

If you have gotten a timetable(and please get one at the station if you do not have one already) look at the Lake Shore Limited on page 66. Look at the right hand side of the schedule, orange arrow pointing "up", you will see the stations from Worcester, MA., forward have a "D" by them. Look down at the bottom of the page, it says "D" means stop only to discharge passengers. Now.....since it only stops to discharge passengers from there on into Boston, it is entirely possibly it could early at THOSE stations but those only, since nobody will be boarding at them.

Sure, they certainly can and do arrive early, but leaving early? Nope, just under very special conditions as explained above. If a train arrives early into a station, it just has to wait until correct departure time, no matter what.

If you start wandering WHY the train does not receive passengers at the stops listed above, I guess it is because there are local commuter train companies to take care of people for those short distances in and around Boston. You will notice that the westbound train (orange arrows pointing down) stops only to RECEIVE passengers at those points so of course it cannot leave early.

As far as the pillow goes, I keep mine at my side the whole trip. I've traveled coach and in a sleeper with my pillow there to lean on. Also I can't imagine anyone stealing someones pillow! I have a large wheeled duffel that fits everything. Once on board out comes pillow and blanket, a backpack that has snacks, bottled water, toiletries and my tickets, then the duffel is placed in the overhead or luggage storage. Around my neck I have a small bag that contains my money, and it stays around my neck even when I sleep. If I am in a sleeper, I only wear it when I leave the room. If I need a change of clothes I then go to the storage or overhead to get in my bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back