More Troubles for the Eagles in Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to trainorders UP put a freight on the ground near Mineola, Texas resulting in Service Disruptions for #21 and #22. There is a mention of rerouting the Eagles through Coricana and Big Sandy, the Eagles last ran regularly there in the late 1990s when there was directional running on this route! The delays being mentioned are 8-9 Hours! :eek: :help: , Usually ,in UPs defense, they clean up accident scenes fairly quickly! Two years ago a freight derailed in Marshall wrecking most of the platform and fence at the station and making a mess of the tracks! Within three days the line was open and the reroutes that caused long delays for the Eagles were over! Hope this is still true, Amtrak doesnt need any more delays on the Western Trains! :excl: :excl: :excl: :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
They had better get it cleaned up since I riding to CHI on the 14th.

I can imagine that they will get the train picked up pretty fast since it is costing UP money the longer it blocks train traffic.

Here'sa story about the derailment. The interesting thing is that it's at the exact same location as last month's derailment. In fact you can see the debris from the previous derailment in the background.

I'm not sure what's up with Amtrak.com or the status maps. There was a derailment yesterday afternoon. 22 detoured up to the north. It arrived in Dallas at 5:30 pm. I'm not sure how long it sat there, because I left before it departed. Today's 21 will arrive in DAL about noon, pretty much on time. It show service disruption obviously because it rerouted. Not sure why 22 for today (5) is showing a disruption.

Here's my pictures from the Marshall derailment:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b156/BlakeTyner/Derailment/

What's really nice is that the UP not only cleaned it up fast, but they provided a generator for the Marshall depot & Amtrak station until SWEPCO was able to restore power to the building.
Thanks for sharing the pics Blake, I came through on #22 after they opened the tracks, for UP they did an excellent, fast clean up!!! (not that they did it for Amtrak,but a nice gesture for yalls Station! :cool: UP works for Profit!Gotta move those Trains! :excl: )

As to the issue of crew rest, dont think so! The Conductors change in FTW and SAS, the Enginners in AUS and FTW. The OBS arent guaranteed any specific amount of rest except for the 4 hours of sleep that is in their contract! Ive gotten into SAS on #21 at like 2AM and the next mornings #22 rolled out @7AM as scheduled! Hopefully the tracks will be back open soon and the rerouting over, the Eagles OTP is starting to look like this Winter/Springs Builders and this Spring//Summers Zephyrs! :eek: :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night 22 sat in Dallas from 5:32 PM until 10:48 PM when they finally got a UP engine and pilot to take the detour route. Instead of going to the north it went all the way to Corsicana to the south and then back up to Longview. If you look on Amtrak.com, for some reason it shows 21 and 22 as a service disruption, but 421/422 are still going. The arrival of 21 today, also took the detour and arrived Dallas around 5 PM. Due into Longview at 11 PM tonight. :)

I just got in from the Sunday #21 departure where all went well until we had a 90 minute hold at Longview that compounded as we got closer to Dallas. It was mainly due to heat related slow orders on the UP causing a massive bottleneck. Just about every signal was Approach or Stop. A five hour pad to connect with the Heartland Flyer at FTW went down the toilet but when I arrived, Amtrak already had taxis ready to shuttle 5 of us to Norman. We actually arrived the station in Norman 5 minutes ahead of the Flyer which was down about 30 minutes by then. I'm guessing heat was causing slow orders on the BNSF as well.

And of course pax on the Eagle were raising all kinds of you-know-what about Amtrak when in reality none of these delays were Amtrak fault. I simply relaxed and enjoyed the extra train time (and meal).

I remember being in Marshall, TX last October and seeing the massive scratch marks in the platform concrete and thinking of the derailment from 2 years ago. It was kind of awe-inspiring to think I was standing where tons of metal were once crashing all around me.

So the TE got in at 6PM and they didn't hold the HF half an hour for the connections? That is a long cab ride back.

So the TE got in at 6PM and they didn't hold the HF half an hour for the connections? That is a long cab ride back.
In one way I can blame them for not delaying the other HF pax and wanting to get them dispatched on time, especially if BNSF may have fits over a delayed train. On the other hand, I can only imagine what the bill for running 3 taxis to Oklahoma is :)

Last night 22 sat in Dallas from 5:32 PM until 10:48 PM when they finally got a UP engine and pilot to take the detour route. Instead of going to the north it went all the way to Corsicana to the south and then back up to Longview. If you look on Amtrak.com, for some reason it shows 21 and 22 as a service disruption, but 421/422 are still going. The arrival of 21 today, also took the detour and arrived Dallas around 5 PM. Due into Longview at 11 PM tonight. :)
UP dumped a freight east of Mineola and based on the wreckage that was still there Monday, it was a pretty good spill. Several hoppers and assorted wheel sets, along with torn up rail and such were still scattered and UP crews were mopping things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back