MORR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeking advice

Getting ready for my trip coming up on the MORR from STL to KCY to connect w SWC. Is this a nice ride ? Any spectacular scenery? What side should we sit on? Should we eat before boarding, or eat in cafe car? Where? Any tips will be appreciatted ! Thanks

I'm not sure if you're taking the morning run or the afternoon run; I only have experience on the morning run, and I actually board in Kirkwood. I take this train 3-4 times a year. It is a fairly smooth ride the entire way, and the on time performance is very good; in fact, the last several times we have arrived into Kansas City early! In fact, the only time we had to wait for another train was when we met the eastbound headed back to St Louis. You will be going through several small towns and rural areas, but being a farm kid from Iowa, I think that is pretty nice scenery. It doesn't appeal to everybody though! You will follow the Missouri River, and it will be dirctly on the right hand side of the train as you are heading west, until you hit Jefferson City, where the river and the train separate by a few miles. They have a somewhat limited selection in the cafe car, but I've always found something to eat. A few breakfast choices, a few lunch choices, coffee, soda, water, beer, etc. I believe that there is a menu posted on the Amtrak site for the route, but I haven't looked lately. I usually grab breakfast at a local restaurant in Kirkwood, MO before boarding, and then have a light lunch about halfway to Kansas City.

I almost always opt for business class, as I'm trying to do a little work on the way. There is 2-1 seating in the other half of the cafe car, it is a bit quieter, plug ins at every seat, a free newspaper, and (usually) a free non-alcoholic beverage (I say usually because they sometimes forget to mention it to the passengers). I have done it in coach too, with no issues.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I'm not expert, but I'm pretty familiar with this route.

Looks like this train uses Horizon equipment. These railcars are less comfortable than the ones on the SWC. The scenery is not bad, but that is greatly dependant on your own taste. It gives some interesting views, but don't expect spectacular. Here's some pictures, hopefully it will give you a better idea:

MORR: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=319951&nseq=165

SWC: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=340250&nseq=167

Those white cars are Horizon cars. They look mighty dirty to me, but they're not that bad inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back