Most efficient way to go to Canadian westbound via BOS on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason the fares are so absurd is transborder service on the Maple Leaf across the boarder is one of the most expensive Amtrak trains, it doesn't have buckets because of the agreement that governs it since its co-operated. You can though use the train but only from Toronto to New York State to save you money on a long VIA itinerary because having that international segment (on a multi-city ticket) makes your entire itinerary tax free (and adding the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls, NY actually made my Vancouver-Toronto trip cheeper), it was then cheeper to buy a multi-city Amtrak ticket from Niagara Falls, NY because of quick less than 24 hour stopovers I wanted to make in Buffalo and Syracuse.

Well the only non-overnight option would mean spending 2:15am to 7:15am in Penn Station between the arrival 67 and the departure of Maple Leaf #63 the next morning ($166 in mid February).

The other option I can think of this taking the Lake Shore to any stop between Albany and Buffalo-Depew, spending the night and taking the Lake Shore the next morning-afternoon. Interesting small upstate citys that have stations in the center of town and I assume have hotels within walking distance are Schenectady Utica, and Rochester. The other 4 stations are not pedestrian friendly, this is $113 when I did the multi-city option on Amtrak.com with a Rochester layover. ($166 on the same two dates with a SDY layover).

Probably the cheapest (mostly train) option if you have little luggage and want a public transportation adventure would be to take the Lake Shore Limited to Buffalo-Depew ($60), spend the night and the local Buffalo-Niagara Falls Bus system (NAFTA, a day pass is $4, could be slightly cheeper) can take you all the way from near Depew to the New York side in Niagara Falls, NY of the Rainbow Bridge, walk across (or taxi I suppose) the Rainbow Bridge, and then the GO Transit bus from Niagara Falls, ON to Aldershot (direct connectio another suburban Toronto Station) to the GO Train into Toronto (CAN$16.55 total) from Niagara Falls, ON.

I don't have time to do a full route/schedule markdown, I just know its possible and there buses on both transit routes at least every couple of hours throughout the day.

I don't know if you are able to tolerate a five-hour layover in NYP during the early AM hours - if not, then I recommend taking 449 to upstate NY (anywhere between Buffalo and Albany) and connecting to 63 the next day. I do not recommend staying overnight in NYC unless you are willing to be extravagant in your hotel expenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't checked price or connection times, but what about Boston to Albany, then the Adirondack to Montreal? Then there are plenty of VIA connections to Toronto for the Canadian.

The issue is that the Maple Leaf nor the Adirondack in either direction connect with the Lake Shore Limited to allow for Canada to Boston same-day service, it requires spending the night in Albany or Schenectady (in the case of the Aidrondack) or at any stop between Albany and Buffalo-Depew in the case of the Lake Shore to the Maple Leaf. Boston-bound Maple Leaf to Lake Shore you could spend the night in Niagara Falls, NY or Buffalo-Exchange St (downtown) take Empire Service train #284 to a shared intermediate stop of your choosing and transfer to the Lake Shore about an hour later (although NFL to BOS, doesn't appear in Arrow, you'd have to book it as a multi-city, nor does Rome or Amsterdam, the two stops the Lake Shore skips appear).

Depending on the time of year, GO Transit runs trains between Niagara Falls ON and Toronto a couple of times a day. I can't remember what the cab fare was from the Depew Amtrak station and Niagara Falls ON GO Transit station, but the Depew station does have the flat rates posted for a local cab company (only way to get home when the Maple Leaf was shut down for hurricane Irene). I believe Megabus also runs between Buffalo Intl. Airport and downtown Toronto. I know it's not Amtrak, but Porter Airlines runs fllights between Boston and Toronto's Billy Bishop Airport (short cab ride from Union Station) for about $99 one way, or Westjet flies into Toronto Pearson Airport.

If you are taking the Canadian the whole way for the experience, and just want an efficient way to reach it from Boston, you might consider flying on a budget fare--I see some for under $100. on the 'net.....You would save considerable time and expense that way, unless you want the Amtrak experience as well......

Just checked Porter Airlines from Boston to Toronto for mid January and with the seat sale on now it’s $59 + taxes and fees for a total of $89.

And as noted above above…..Porter uses the downtown airport in Toronto…….about a mile from Union Station with a free shuttle bus to the Royal York Hotel across the street. (I know this is an Amtrak Forum but BOS - TWO is just not convenient)

www.flyporter.com

Porter is becoming a popular airline for the convenience of the downtown airport vs. Pearson (18 miles out) and their high service standards: even those on the $59 fare get a complementary beer or wine + snack and everyone has access to the airport lounge (there's one at YTZ.....not sure about BOS)

And the skyline view while landing in Toronto..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked Porter Airlines from Boston to Toronto for mid January and with the seat sale on now it’s $59 + taxes and fees for a total of $89.

And as noted above above…..Porter uses the downtown airport in Toronto…….about a mile from Union Station with a free shuttle bus to the Royal York Hotel across the street. (I know this is an Amtrak Forum but BOS - TWO is just not convenient)

www.flyporter.com

Porter is becoming a popular airline for the convenience of the downtown airport vs. Pearson (18 miles out) and their high service standards: even those on the $59 fare get a complementary beer or wine + snack and everyone has access to the airport lounge (there's one at YTZ.....not sure about BOS)

And the skyline view while landing in Toronto..........

I will second the motion...Porter airlines...wonderful!

That was a great video......just imagine if you could land at the former Meigs Field in Chicago....it would be a similar experience. I believe Burke Lakefront is still in business at Cleveland, but no longer has scheduled service......

Does anyone have info on bus service from Boston to Quebec or Montreal? (Swadian?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back