Moving from NYP to HOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gratt

Lead Service Attendant
Sadly I will be moving in the coming weeks from NYC to my home town of Houston (the economy stinks and you do what you have to, for a job).

So many east coast trains I have yet to ride, but I am still young so their is time :cool:

But this does give me a chance to take Amtrak to move me and my things :D

I would like to take the 19 Cresent to the 1 Sunset as it would be the least amount of transfers and lets me ride the Cresent the entire way.

I have a few general questions though before I get my ticket that I am sure the people in AU will know

1. I have a lot of books, if I pack them in small cardboard boxes and tape them up will Amtrak accept them as checked baggage?

2. How early can I drop of checked baggage? I might need to take two trips from my apartment to NYP.

3. Are the rules about 3 checked bags + $10 each for the next three still valid? I am also assuming on one ticket they will hold and send my checked bags though in NOL

4. for my non-checked bags is there a place in NOL to hold them?

5. Does anyone know anything about kosher meals on board? I know I have to call up and ask for them but dose anyone know how much are they are (I will NOT be in a sleeper) and if they are any good?

6. If get my ticket with AGR does this change any of the above?

7. Lastly, any suggestions on a good jazz place in the big easy ;)

Thanks for all your help guys!

1: OK, but each box counts as a separate bag. Make sure they are sturdy. You might want to send some via Amtrak Express shipping.

2: Check the bags in at least 30 minutes before departure, I'm not sure how the multiple trips might work.

3: That rule still applies

4: Not sure

5: Call far in advance, read this thread as well

6: No difference

Be aware that the transfer at NOL involves an overnight on your own dime.

Don't forget about "media mail" for books. It is not as cheap as Amtrak but if you are needing more baggage over the 6 checked bags it can help.

There was a thread rolling around here about a month ago saying that Amtrak has a policy against containers of books as checked baggage. Sounds crazy, I know. But apparently some agents won't let you check any bag with more books in it than could be reasonbly used on the trip itself.

There was a thread rolling around here about a month ago saying that Amtrak has a policy against containers of books as checked baggage. Sounds crazy, I know. But apparently some agents won't let you check any bag with more books in it than could be reasonbly used on the trip itself.
If they fall within the weight limit per box, I would not see why not. Maybe they have had a problem with the boxes not being sturdy enough. It could also be a value issue. I could easily have a box full or even two or three boxes of technical books that would cost over $1,000 per box to replace the books, and a lot that could not be replaced at all.

If they fall within the weight limit per box, I would not see why not. Maybe they have had a problem with the boxes not being sturdy enough. It could also be a value issue. I could easily have a box full or even two or three boxes of technical books that would cost over $1,000 per box to replace the books, and a lot that could not be replaced at all.
I wouldn't see why not either, but that was the policy. It wasn't about the packing or the weight - books were a banned item. OP can decide what he wants to think of it and whether it's worth the risk.

For the record, that thread is here.

I think as long as the bags are under the weight limit, you shouldn't have a problem. Or just distribute your books amongst the boxes. In a worst case scenario, I suppose you could always pay to ship the box Amtrak Express if they wouldn't accept it as checked baggage when you arrived at the station.

I also second the suggestion about media mail if you have excess boxes of books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back