Moynihan Train Hall

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the public TV, especially cable news, whatever the channel, to be annoying. The lounge in Washington has 2 TVs, one usually with CNN, the other with a variety of other channels, and they are placed so that you can't avoid hearing them wherever you sit. (There are a few exceptions.) Having to listen to annoying background noise sort of negates the advantage of being able to sit in in a first-class lounge. That's why I was pleasantly surprised the Moynihan Lounge has a separate TV viewing area, which leaves most of the rest of the lounge blessedly free of the TV distraction.

I agree completely. I don’t have a TV at home and only watch it for baseball games if I happen to be in a hotel or dog-sitting at a friend’s house, so the noise of a public TV is jarring.

PHL isn’t bad—since the TV is at the very end of the lounge, and they don’t have it blaring, it can be avoided.

The website says purchasing is limited to Business Class passengers:

Purchasing Day Passes​

Business Class passengers can buy day passes for the lounges at Philadelphia - William H Gray III 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station for $35 per day, or $50 per day at New York - Moynihan Train Hall.​
... but it looks like redeeming points is open to all:

Redeem Points for Lounge Passes​

Enhance your next trip with a visit to an Amtrak lounge. Redeem for a Single-Visit Lounge Pass for only 1,500 points.​
Each pass provides access at any Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge℠ or First Class lounge. Enjoy a refreshment or catch up on work at our lounges before your departure.​
Did the Moynihan pricing change recently? I remember it being $35 previously.

I recently had a chance to use the Moynihan facility for the first time. Very much impressed - the Metropolitan Lounge was especially nice. I liked the layout and the number and style of booths that it featured.

It was also my first time sampling the particular brand of glass-bottled soda that they offered. A nice treat!

At Moynihan the AGR points did not work for the ML because they had to be done during the week calling customer service. But I still don’t know whether a ML day pass - if 1500 points is correct. Although I was not business class I got admission to the Monahan Metropolitan Lounge for $50. It was very nice.

I did go up to the south station metropolitan lounge and it was empty and the staff person allowed me to sit pretty much as long as I wanted - nicer

I’m on the nine segment trip so maybe that had something to do with it.

Train #1 about 6-7 hours late. They’re handing out the stew now.

The MOYNIHAN ML was worth $50 - the cold brew iced coffee was excellent as were the small panini sandwiches. Boylan soft drinks, beer and wine. Drinks at a separate. Bar were sold. In the seven hours In the ML I consumed about $40 in food and the comfort level was worth it.

The advance on your track number was a gas. I was fourth in line BUT IT WAS ASSIGNED SEATING. I had 50 and the most beautiful,, kind, open young woman was seated in 49 next to me ... and much. Into our seven hour conversation to Charlottesville she mentioned being married to someone heavily into recording and playing backup to the Dave Matthews band.

So. $50 - Yeah.

I recently had a chance to use the Moynihan facility for the first time. Very much impressed - the Metropolitan Lounge was especially nice. I liked the layout and the number and style of booths that it featured.

It was also my first time sampling the particular brand of glass-bottled soda that they offered. A nice treat!
We always sit on the terrace overlooking the train hall. It’s fun to do people-watching from up there. I love all the light coming in from the glass ceiling.

By far,the nicest lounge in Amtrak's system and the best selection of food and drink. As far as food and drink,no other lounge even comes close.
I fully agree with the assessment of Moynihan--it is truly magnificent with amenities. I made a special trip ATN-NYP-ATN just to see it in June 2021 just after it opened. I must say that I am still very partial to Washington Union Station Metropolitan Lounge--seems it has a quiet closed ambience (usually) if not as luxurious. While WAS has TV monitors operating continuously, this has never seems offensive or distracting. This opinion probably comes from the hundreds of hours I have spent in the WAS lounge since it opened in I think 1988.

We're going to NYC tomorrow for the day, KIN-NYP and NYP-KIN, to see the Becher photography show at the Met. Our first time to detrain at Moynihan. Speaking of Lounge Passes, I just redeemed the 1500 points, and it showed that I was getting a pass, but there is no pass. It did not come by email, and does not show up under my account. Will they let me in if I just show that I redeemed the points today? (I'm guessing not.) Where else should I look for the pass?

At Moynihan the AGR points did not work for the ML because they had to be done during the week calling customer service. But I still don’t know whether a ML day pass - if 1500 points is correct. Although I was not business class I got admission to the Monahan Metropolitan Lounge for $50. It was very nice.

I did go up to the south station metropolitan lounge and it was empty and the staff person allowed me to sit pretty much as long as I wanted - nicer

I’m on the nine segment trip so maybe that had something to do with it.

Train #1 about 6-7 hours late. They’re handing out the stew now.

What are AGR points, the regular points? I'm trying to get a pass for tomorrow and the system took my points (1500) but didn't give me a pass. Is that a Moynihan issue? Didn't see any warning about that on the website. My husband is a bit disabled so I'm trying to get comfortable waiting places for him. And iced coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going to NYC tomorrow for the day, KIN-NYP and NYP-KIN, to see the Becher photography show at the Met. Our first time to detrain at Moynihan. Speaking of Lounge Passes, I just redeemed the 1500 points, and it showed that I was getting a pass, but there is no pass. It did not come by email, and does not show up under my account. Will they let me in if I just show that I redeemed the points today? (I'm guessing not.) Where else should I look for the pass?

What are AGR points, the regular points? I'm trying to get a pass for tomorrow and the system took my points (1500) but didn't give me a pass. Is that a Moynihan issue? Didn't see any warning about that on the website. My husband is a bit disabled so I'm trying to get comfortable waiting places for him. And iced coffee.

Never mind, the QR pass finally showed up on my Account page. Took a few hours! Never did it get it by email as they implied, but all is good now.

Sorry - no internet - SWC !!!

-

1. Hopefully a phone call and ask to speak to Customer Relation/AGR will help resolve the problem (BETWEEN 8AM - 8PM).. I’m told 1500 Amtrak Guest Reward points will admit one person to the ML at MTH.
Amtrak
1 (800) 872-7245
Amtrak Guedt Rewards
1 (800) 307-5000

2. At the top of the escalator to the MTH ML I found a gentleman in an Amtrak blue blazer. He looked at my nine segment ticket and approved my $50 payment to use the Metropolitan Lounge.

3. My backup plan was to use the Moynihan passenger Waiting Area (ticket access). There are plenty of shops (below)

4. When you get on in KINSTON tell your conductor whether you need an elevator or escalator access to Moynihan. Avoid having to cross 8th Avenue crom the old BNYP to Moynihan

BACK UP PLAN - use passenger waiting area and huge selection of MTH coffee and awesome hall!D69CA969-7DDB-4460-A42D-C07537ACC0AB.png

Last edited:
That's interesting, was there a rail line going more or less that way at some point or is this The High Line Park is now its own thing and not tied to where the rails went?
The elevated structure carried a freight siding towards downtown at one time.

The elevated structure carried a freight siding towards downtown at one time.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I know the general history of the High Line, I meant this new extension - was there rail going this way towards Moynihan/Penn Station, or is this bit completely new?

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I know the general history of the High Line, I meant this new extension - was there rail going this way towards Moynihan/Penn Station, or is this bit completely new?
The new section never carried any rail. The rail carrying portion curves towards the river and then runs along 30th St.

The new Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall is what Amtrak has been talking about recently. As my New Jersey Transit pulled out from the Uppler Montclair Station I leaned back in my seat anticipating riding in to this new, clean, light and welcoming space. When the train pulled in there were a lot of new and welcome directional signs but none indicated the new Train Hall. Perhpas there would be one at the other end of the platform. Waling back and forth the full lenghth of it there were none. There was an up escalator. which carried me to the Long Island Railroad Station and then the old Penn Station concourse. Finally there was a sign for the new Train Hall. Following the arrows led me to the street. But half a block away and across the street was a small corner entrance and I could see the name Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall. To get to it took about half an hour. But this was the first time there must be a better way.

There isn't a better way. Waliking around the perimiter of the large, ariry room there is no way to get to tracks 1 to
4, the tracks almost all NJT trains use. Back home on the internet there is no way to get to these tracks either. The new Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall is a wonderful place but NJT train riders must change stations to use it.

The new Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall is what Amtrak has been talking about recently. As my New Jersey Transit pulled out from the Uppler Montclair Station I leaned back in my seat anticipating riding in to this new, clean, light and welcoming space. When the train pulled in there were a lot of new and welcome directional signs but none indicated the new Train Hall. Perhpas there would be one at the other end of the platform. Waling back and forth the full lenghth of it there were none. There was an up escalator. which carried me to the Long Island Railroad Station and then the old Penn Station concourse. Finally there was a sign for the new Train Hall. Following the arrows led me to the street. But half a block away and across the street was a small corner entrance and I could see the name Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall. To get to it took about half an hour. But this was the first time there must be a better way.

There isn't a better way. Waliking around the perimiter of the large, ariry room there is no way to get to tracks 1 to
4, the tracks almost all NJT trains use. Back home on the internet there is no way to get to these tracks either. The new Daniel Patrick Moynihan Train Hall is a wonderful place but NJT train riders must change stations to use it.
The Moynihan Train Hall doesn't serve the platforms at Penn Station used by New Jersey Transit. Thus, if you arrive by NJT and want to access Moynihan, you will have to go up into the old Penn Station and then make your way over to Moynihan. If you're doing this in the underground maze, you need to go to the LIRR level and find the 8th Avenue subway station. It's probably less disorienting to just go to the street level and find 8th Avenue. There's no grand entrance from the street -- the building was originally built as an industrial-scale postal facility, after all, but the entrances at the corners are pretty obvious.

There are no NJT facilities within Moynihan. NJT continues to live wholly within the old Penn Station.

On weekends, there are 5 NJT slots per hour fleeted in a 20 minute time frame each way. Generally, that is tracks 1 through 4 and one higher track chosen at random. Those two platforms are located farther east and there is no way to connect them to Moynihan, which only has direct access to tracks 5 through 16. That also rules out most LIRR action, which is generally 17 - 21, though they are easier to access Moynihan through the West End Concourse. The West End Concourse only goes down to track 5.

https://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/

Tracks 1-4 used exclusively by NJT do not extend far enough west reach Moynihan. Tracks 5-12 which can be shared by NJT and Amtrak do, but NJT trains are spotted on the east end of those platforms and Moynihan is on the extreme western end.

Moynihan is advertised and signed as serving Amtrak and the Long Island Rail Road and only has facilities for those. Although relatively few LIRR customers use it due to its far western location between 8th and 9th Avenues which is less convienent than Penn for most.

Moynihan was never intended to service NJT and doesn't. I don't think New Jersey kicked in any funding for it, either. Most of the funding came from New York State, with some from Amtrak. That is understandable since it was not meant from the outset to serve NJT passengers.

PS, for most arriving passengers even on Amtrak, actually coming up in Moynihan involves swimming upstream on a narrow platform to get to the last escalators on the western end of the platform. Most don't bother unless that's the closest to them anyway, and wind up coming up in Penn on the old Amtrak or LIRR levels or perhaps the West End Concourse (technically part of Moynihan, I guess, but not the Train Hall).

Last edited:
Does anyone know what food services businesses might be open in the MTH before the 7:15 am departure of the Maple Leaf on a weekday? My wife and I would like to grab something (bagel, breakfast sandwich or the like) before boarding.

Does anyone know what food services businesses might be open in the MTH before the 7:15 am departure of the Maple Leaf on a weekday? My wife and I would like to grab something (bagel, breakfast sandwich or the like) before boarding.
I would start in the upper level of legacy Penn Station, get something there, then walk over to Moynihan. There are plenty of NJT commuters before 7am getting the same thing.

Eat any of your fruit before the Canadian border.

Back