MSP to Halifax via Ocean

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NW cannonball

Conductor
Wanting to visit somewhere (relatively) warm, and use the VIA Ocean.

Halifax seems a lot warmer than Minnesota, and the VIA train looks good.

Connections from MSP to Toronto and Montreal, however, look problematical.

Don't know to post this on the Amtrak or VIA thread.

Has anyone done this Minneapolis-Halifax?

I took the Ocean from Montreal to Halifax, but flew from Chicago to Montreal. Taking the Lake Shore Limited to Albany and the Adirondack from Albany to Montreal would require an overnight in Albany.

In your case the connection from the Empire Builder (from MSP) to the Lake Shore Limited might be iffy these days. You might have to overnight in Chicago and take the next day's LSL.

Bottom line: I'd fly to Montreal.

I went from Florida to Montreal to ride the Ocean in 2012. I took the Adirondack from New York. I overnighted in New York and Montreal on the way up and on the return. I planned my trip around inexpensive New York hotels.

:eek: Are you Sure you want to Go North in the Worst Winter in Years?? :rolleyes: It's Damn Cold in the NE Right Now and the Snow is Piling UP! If you are talking about going in April or Later that makes more Sense! There's an Excellent Reason Birds Fly South for the Winter and Snowbirds Head for Florida! It's Warm!!!! ;)

The Ocean Trip is a Nice One and Halifax and NS are Interesting to Visit when it's Warmer!! I Agree with Flying to Montreal when you Go and I Don't usually Advise Folks to Not Ride the Train!

Halifax is so much warmer than MSP - hey it will be like some New Yorker visiting Florida. If I had more money I'd be visiting Cape Wrath on the Scotland coast or the west coast of Ireland. Just to get warm. :)

All of those places warmer than Minnesota!

And -- wanted to visit NE coast for years and years -- and wanted to ride the Ocean since I learned it existed.

If can do it this cheap rail season -- I'll do it

Next summer, I believe there'll be a ferry line running from Portland to Nova Scotia. There's some distance between where the ferry lands and Halifax, but if you can figure out a way to bridge that gap, that'd be an interesting connection from Amtrak (via the Downeaster) to the Ocean.

I would fly to Montreal.

Via has some cheap express deals right now Montreal to Halifax and return to Montreal by sleeper.

As Jim said it's even cold up here in Canada. Southern Ontario tonight it going down to -25c not including the wind chill! Hey that sounds like MSP!

Go south young man! How about Southern California?

It's possible to book a ticket from MSP to Toronto:

Train 8- Empire Builder

Depart Minneapolis 7:50am

Arrive Chicago 3:55pm

Train 48 - Lake Shore Limited

Depart Chicago 9:30pm

Arrive Buffalo, NY 8:58am

Train 63/7098 - Maple Leaf

Depart Buffalo, NY 3:01pm

Arrive Toronto 7:42pm

Take Amtrak to NYC, and a cruise ship from NYC to Halifax. :D

It's appreciably easier to get from Halifax to MSP, rather than the reverse.

You could take the Ocean from Halifax to Montreal, spend the night in Montreal, then continue on the Adirondack to Schenectady, the LSL to Chicago, and the Empire Builder to here. The Amtrak legs can even be booked as a 2-zone award.

Heading east, the Schenectady connection doesn't work.

I believe shuttle bus services run between Yarmouth and Halifax. They can probably be booked in advance to meet the CAT ferry.
No more CAT ferry. Been gone for years.

Next summer, I believe there'll be a ferry line running from Portland to Nova Scotia. There's some distance between where the ferry lands and Halifax, but if you can figure out a way to bridge that gap, that'd be an interesting connection from Amtrak (via the Downeaster) to the Ocean.
New ferry starts in May of this year to Yarmouth. See:

http://www.novastarcruises.com/

We are planning NC to Nova Scotia when ferry starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe shuttle bus services run between Yarmouth and Halifax. They can probably be booked in advance to meet the CAT ferry.
No more CAT ferry. Been gone for years.

New ferry starts in May of this year to Yarmouth. See:

http://www.novastarcruises.com/

We are planning NC to Nova Scotia when ferry starts.
Any ideas about how best to get from the ferry in Yarmouth to VIA Rail's train station in Halifax? Or is that not part of your plans?

Some sort of shuttle service between the two would be awesome.

You can also do MSP to Chicago to Detriot take the tunnel bus (or a cab) to Windsor, ON and take VIA from There, there is direct Windsor to Halifax Service.

The fastest routing:

7:50am - 3:55pm
8 hr, 5 min
8 Empire Builder

TRANSFER - CHI (2 hr, 5 min)
6:00pm - 12:18am (Feb 12)
5 hr, 18 min
354 Wolverine

Not suggested although you'd only have a 5 hour layover in Detriot (but overnight)!

VIA Rail #70

Feb 12 - 05:30 AM
Feb 12 -10:04 AM WINDSOR - TORONTO
1 hr 26 m connection

VIA Rail #64

Feb 12 - 11:30 AM

Feb 12 -16:52 PM TORONTO - MONTRÉAL connection
2 hrs 3 m 14

Feb 12
18:55 PM

Feb 13
18:38 PM MONTRÉAL - HALIFAX

I wouldn't take this trip, probably spending at least a couple nights along the way but one of these days I'll go the all daylight Route from New York to Chicago via Canada (and take the tunnel bus into Detroit).

Any ideas about how best to get from the ferry in Yarmouth to VIA Rail's train station in Halifax? Or is that not part of your plans?

Not yet. I expect more services to pop backup like they were once the ferry company finalizes everything and starts selling tickets later this month.

Check this TripAdvisor Forum thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k6990142-Since_the_ferry_from_Portland_is_starting_in_14_is_May_OK-Nova_Scotia.html#54126766

Here in Halifax we use C (celsius) but I will quote these in F (fahrenheit) so there’s no confusion.

We had very heavy rain last night with a high of 54F but it has been dropping rather quickly today (flash freeze) to a low of 10F tonight and light snow.

Tomorrows high will be 21F. Same for Thur and Fri.....but back up to 37F on Sat and 41F on Sun with Rain.

Typical winter in the Maritimes but we had a nice white Christmas this year with lots of snow. Not the usual green one!

Not yet. I expect more services to pop backup like they were once the ferry company finalizes everything and starts selling tickets later this month.

Check this TripAdvisor Forum thread:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k6990142-Since_the_ferry_from_Portland_is_starting_in_14_is_May_OK-Nova_Scotia.html#54126766
Thanks! Here's hoping for a nice loop--maybe Albany to Portland to Yarmouth to Halifax to Montreal to Albany.

Connecting to VIA, and especially Halifax, from Amtrak -- thanks for the input -- all.

Eastbound - via Detroit -- and then up to Toronto - possible, the Detroit connection worries me partly the timing, partly because (shame on me) Detroit seems scary.

The ferry - when it starts running - seems good but late arrival after possible Yarmouth - Halifax bus.

I'm thinking either fly to Montreal and Ocean from there, or maybe layover upstate NY to catch the early Adirondack to Montreal?

Thanks all.

edit - PS -- what upstate NY stations good for one-day layover? Albany? Schenectady? Farther down the Hudson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back