Mudslide in Westchester Co. affecting trains between Albany and NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striker71

Train Attendant
ALBANY — Train service between Albany and New York City remained canceled Sunday after a mudslide off a residential property in Westchester County covered all Metro-North train tracks.

The slide happened around 9:45 a.m. Saturday and obstructed all four Metro-North Railroad tracks near Scarborough station in the village of Briarcliff Manor. As a result, the Metro-North Railroad said, there is no service between Tarrytown and Croton-Harmon stations.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/amtrak-service-albany-nyc-remains-canceled-18440734.php

Last edited by a moderator:
The similarities to the West Coast events in the last few years are discouraging at best.
Tracks below bluffs near river or sea or sound. (or above bluffs that beetle o'er the sea).
Looks a lot like the tracks from Seattle to Everett.
Top of bluff is "developed", trees and their roots gone, grass and impermeable homes of humans and their cars take tree's place.
Rain then either runs off, or sinks thru to the old impermeable clay layer near track level. This makes that layer near the track level wetter and wetter over time until it liquefies, slumps onto the right of way, undermining the bluff, just like we see here.
I'm quite sure most of us are familiar with places where the first tracks were laid near a river valley because the "water level route" is usually the least steep way uphill. The tracks are still there, the artificial cuts to make room for the tracks are still there, and this in the photo above is what can and does happen, moreso more recently.

This link is useless. The web site insists my browser is in "privacy mode" and wants me to subscribe to view the article. Since my browser is NOT in any sort of privacy mode, and the web site provides no instructions for getting out of the non-existent privacy mode, I can't read the article. It might as well not exist.
I had no problem opening the link.

This link is useless. The web site insists my browser is in "privacy mode" and wants me to subscribe to view the article. Since my browser is NOT in any sort of privacy mode, and the web site provides no instructions for getting out of the non-existent privacy mode, I can't read the article. It might as well not exist.

I had no problem opening the link.
Likewise. No problem in opening the link. Possibly some Browser setting that is more protective than usual is interfering. It is a local issue, not a global one.

Back