Mules, Ann Rutledge using Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From Jefferson City, MO News-Tribune, 1/23/05:

For travelers by train across the heart of Missouri the next couple of months, the Missouri River and its adjacent bluffs will be easier to see sitting atop Amtrak's Superliner coaches.
Full story is here.

Certainly is a nice treat for the passengers, hopefully there won't be any problems with superliner availabilities. Maybe with the future orders of the DMU's, there will be enough equipment where the weather isn't too much of an issue as availability will be.

Viewliner said:
Certainly is a nice treat for the passengers, hopefully there won't be any problems with superliner availabilities. Maybe with the future orders of the DMU's, there will be enough equipment where the weather isn't too much of an issue as availability will be.
Future order of DMU's . . . did I miss something about an equipment order, or is this another "amdream"? :D

Steve4031 said:
Viewliner said:
Certainly is a nice treat for the passengers, hopefully there won't be any problems with superliner availabilities.  Maybe with the future orders of the DMU's, there will be enough equipment where the weather isn't too much of an issue as availability will be.
Future order of DMU's . . . did I miss something about an equipment order, or is this another "amdream"? :D
Well it is part of David Gunn's 5-year plan. However, without proper funding from Congress, it may well remain a dream. On the other hand, new Autocarriers were also part of David's 5-year plan and they are on the way, if not already entering service.

So the odds are better than average.

Alan,

Do you know if Amtrak is looking at any specific manufacturer or model DMU? They tried an Adtranz IC2 several years ago and I know that Colorado Railcar has produced a protype that is now with Miami Tri-Rail.

Skip Howard said:
Do you know if Amtrak is looking at any specific manufacturer or model DMU? They tried an Adtranz IC2 several years ago and I know that Colorado Railcar has produced a protype that is now with Miami Tri-Rail.
I'm not sure just how intense a search has been performed. I do know that Colorado Railcar was looked at, at least a bit. I don't however think that they are that close to being able to buy them, much less do an intense study.

That would be great to get some equipment that is better than the Horizon cars. Do you know anything about delivery?

Guest_Steve4031 said:
That would be great to get some equipment that is better than the Horizon cars. Do you know anything about delivery?
I haven't even heard if Amtrak has yet found the money to buy them, much less placed an order.

So no, there is no delivery date.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
Viewliner said:
Certainly is a nice treat for the passengers, hopefully there won't be any problems with superliner availabilities.  Maybe with the future orders of the DMU's, there will be enough equipment where the weather isn't too much of an issue as availability will be.
Well it is part of David Gunn's 5-year plan. However, without proper funding from Congress, it may well remain a dream. On the other hand, new Autocarriers were also part of David's 5-year plan and they are on the way, if not already entering service.

So the odds are better than average.
Amazingly, this also seems to be true for new Viewliners...It's the first time we've seen any real progress since 62049 arrived in 1996. While the order hasn't fully been placed yet, the fact that reportedly 2300 and 8400 are in Bear to be used as full scale mockups says something in terms of Gunns Progress.

Back