Multi-ride tickets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
I would like to purchase this:

Bloomington-Normal, IL (BNL) / Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI)

$110.00 One Ten-Ride Ticket

The ten-ride Illinois ticket is valid for ten rides within a 60-day period. December 1, 2007 to

January 29, 2008

Can I use the tickets on any trains? What if the train is sold out, do I still get a seat? The problem I am facing is the price for this route is usually $12, but because they are so popular the price shoots up to $34 even if I book four weeks in advance. Will this ten-ride ticket solve my problem?

This certainly isn't the gospel, so I can only chime in from an NEC perspective seeing pass holders. My guess is that you will be able to use the ticket on the Illinois Trains, but not the Eagle, but I could be quite wrong. I do tend to suspect that multi-ride ticket holders here in the east can't ride Acelas with these tickets, judging by the announcements made.

As for sell-outs, I *think* you can still ride, but it wouldn't suprise me if you're the first person asked to kindly take a seat in the Cafe Car to accomodate reserved passengers.

One thing I've always been curious about is how 10 ride tickets are handled for AGR points. If I buy a BAL-WAS 10 ride ticket for $154, do I get a> 308 points on the ticket's last use, b> 1000 points for having taken 10 trips at a 100 point minimum, or c> not a durned thing?

As for sell-outs, I *think* you can still ride, but it wouldn't suprise me if you're the first person asked to kindly take a seat in the Cafe Car to accomodate reserved passengers.
I am fine with that.. Also anyone know if these are transferable, i.e can I use them for a companion?

Just as a suggestion, when I have a specific question that is area-specific, train-specific, or station-specific, I usually use my long-distance-included cellphone and call the station that I expect to depart from or arrive at, assuming it is manned, and talk to the station agent, as that person almost always will know not just what official policy is on the question, but also how they actually DO whatever it is, which is sometimes different from "official policy". Pick a time during their advertised station hours but between scheduled trains so that they are a little less likely to be real busy. I have found several times that the station agent can be an incredible source of accurate information, and will typically also know such things as distance to local restaurants and hotels, and will frequently be willing to make specific recommendations on things like that. While we may have one or more members here on the board that can also assist with information, station agents are a VERY good source of up-to-date information concerning trains for which theirs is a station stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good tip , but I can not seem to find the station phone number for BNL. I am probably missing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back