Multiple People Stabbed On Amtrak (12/5/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good god. I just sent a bump out to my friends list. I have a LOT of friends who travel between Kzoo and Chicago on the weekends. I haven't heard anything, so I assume they're okay.

This is making me shaky. That route is my "home" route. I really hope everyone is okay. It says two people are in surgery but not which conductor it is. :( I feel like someone invaded my turf or something. You don't stab people on my train! :angry:

Hopefully, this is a "one-of." There's no reason (from what I've read) to think that this is a part of a larger plan/conspiracy.

Fingers crossed, and good thoughts to the victims. :(

Hopefully, this is a "one-of." There's no reason (from what I've read) to think that this is a part of a larger plan/conspiracy.

Fingers crossed, and good thoughts to the victims. :(
Nah. I'm 100% positive it was just some random, crazy dude.

By the way, Sarah, I loved your comment: "You don't stab people on my train! "

Emphasis added...
I don't want anyone to be stabbed on any train, ever, but it hits way too close to home when it involves the Blue Water or Wolverine.

Agreed. I hope I didn't come off as thinking you were parochial.

No.

Not at all.

Not to hijack derail this thread, but I found it interesting that you commented about this being your train. So many people here have an emotional attachment to "their" trains.

That's a good thing - a very good thing. And I hope, some day, to be able to say the same thing.

Sorry - back to the subject of the thread...

I feel like someone invaded my turf or something. You don't stab people on my train! :angry:
I had a similar reaction once I realized the article about the murder at SAS was true. I had always thought assumed that SAS was relatively safe. After dozens of unremarkable boarding and disembarking experiences I felt I had no (obvious) reason to worry. I had also stopped by SAS dozens of times when spotting an arrival or watching the local Eagle/Sunset switching without seeing any reason for alarm. It was a rather rude awakening to find out I was dead wrong and that all it took was a random nutcase to turn everything upside down.

All the best to the injured Conductor and passengers! Hopefully the lunatic that did the stabbings will never walk the streets or get on a train again!!

And per a thread about Michigan trains by Misty, glad she and none of our AU friends were aboard this Blue Water!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like someone invaded my turf or something. You don't stab people on my train! :angry:
I had a similar reaction once I realized the article about the murder at SAS was true. I had always thought assumed that SAS was relatively safe. After dozens of unremarkable boarding and disembarking experiences I felt I had no (obvious) reason to worry. I had also stopped by SAS dozens of times when spotting an arrival or watching the local Eagle/Sunset switching without seeing any reason for alarm. It was a rather rude awakening to find out I was dead wrong and that all it took was a random nutcase to turn everything upside down.
We were going to switch to that Blue Water after arriving on the SWC on Tuesday, but the SWC was late, so we kept our res on the Wolverine.

Anyway, I told my boyfriend what happened, and he didn't hear me say "tonight". He said, "The Blue Water we were supposed to be on?!?" so I had to clarify pretty quickly.

By the way, Sarah, I loved your comment: "You don't stab people on my train! "

Emphasis added...
I don't want anyone to be stabbed on any train, ever, but it hits way too close to home when it involves the Blue Water or Wolverine.
Agreed Sarah. Hits way too close to home for me too. I've yet to ride the BW but the other two Michigan Service trains are my home away from home (as you already know,I believe) and yes our turf has been invaded. May justice be swift and hard for this nut job and prayers go out to the victims of this senseless crime.

I read the witness report that stated he just walked up the aisle and started stabbing people at random. :eek:

Brent always sits on the aisle so I can look out the window. If that guy had stabbed him, Stabby McMentalCase would have been fighting off a plus-sized, seriously pissed-off woman using her laptop to bash his skull in.

Let them arrest me. The guy had a knife, and I was defending myself and my loved one.

come-at-me-bro.jpg

This hits very close to home for me. I'm a frequent rider of the Wolverines & to some extent the Blue Waters since I am from Illinois (Chicago area), attended grad school in East Lansing, have a significant other from Metro Detroit that works for a company in Kalamazoo. Some of the conductors and snack car attendants on these routes literally recognize me when I am on board.

My significant other was literally ticketed this evening to ride that exact same train from Kalamazoo to East Lansing. As soon as she was notified that there was "police activity" that would result in a 4 hour delay, I decided to drive down to Battle Creek and meet her up down there instead (where she was also able to drive to). We canceled the ticket and got our refund. Later while having dinner we saw this terrifying news story on my cell phone.

We're all wishing the victims a very speedy recovery and hope that they aren't too traumatized to ride the train ever again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad, sad, sad.

And the hateful, presumptuous comments that follow those stories make me feel ashamed to be a human being. Comments on the AU forum are much less judgmental and harsh. We don't know what prompted this. Until we do know, I'd prefer to presume the man was delusional --- i.e., sick and in need of help.

My deep sympathy to the victims, the victims' families, (and yes, to the very disturbed person who did this).

Tom

Glad to hear the injuries weren't fatal. I wonder what prompted the stabber to do this. I'm reminded of the crazy guy that cut someone's head off on a Greyhound bus - if it's mental illness, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Also, they better not use this as an excuse to say TSA needs to start infesting train stations. 'Specially since the stabber boarded in Chicago and, in the spirit of Sarah said, that's MY station! APD handled it fine, there's no reason for further visible/obtrusive security at the station and I'd rather not have to switch to driving everywhere.

Good god. I just sent a bump out to my friends list. I have a LOT of friends who travel between Kzoo and Chicago on the weekends. I haven't heard anything, so I assume they're okay.

This is making me shaky. That route is my "home" route. I really hope everyone is okay. It says two people are in surgery but not which conductor it is. :( I feel like someone invaded my turf or something. You don't stab people on my train! :angry:
This is MY home train also, from Kalamazoo!.... I just heard from relatives in California who just heard the news.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back