Musicians playing on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that there used to be a piano on virtually every long-haul train in Australia. I don't know if that's still the coast on the Indian Pacific, Ghan, or other LD trains there.
One thing that annoys me is watching YouTube videos of trains where the poster has decided that instead of the sound of the trains, we should hear heavy-metal music that has nothing to do with trains, and probably everything to do with drugs, sex, and who-knows-what-else.
Yeah, that sex stuff can be lethal.

I believe that there used to be a piano on virtually every long-haul train in Australia. I don't know if that's still the coast on the Indian Pacific, Ghan, or other LD trains there.
One thing that annoys me is watching YouTube videos of trains where the poster has decided that instead of the sound of the trains, we should hear heavy-metal music that has nothing to do with trains, and probably everything to do with drugs, sex, and who-knows-what-else.
Yeah, that sex stuff can be lethal.
Yeah, that rules out meeting Eva Marie on the train, having trout and adjouring to the bedroom for some adult entertainment! Glad my parents didnt believ e in having sex! :lol:

On the subject of music piped into the train, whatever became of the in-room music channels? Were they scuppered because of mechanical problems or licensing agreements?
I don't know if this falls into the same category as the videos and employee theft, but I can certainly imagine that the reason why most rooms don't have music any more comes down to two words - deferred maintenance.

Once when traveling on the EB a large Amish family was softly singing old hymns in the lounge car. I thought it sounded nice and actually joined in on a couple, but my friends thought it was a rude imposition on the rest of the car. Having thought about it I now agree with my friends. I think good manners would fall on the side of keeping your music to yourself in an enclosed public place.

carjaq

One of my favorite memories from the last time I was in New York was being on a Shuttle from GCT to Times Square with two Jamaican men sitting in front of one of the unused door sets that played the drums while the train made the journey from one station to another. It was good times. Still the background on my Blackberry today.

I think if it's okay with the Conductor, & it's not too loud & you are good at it, it would be kinda fun. Of course it also depends on the kind of music you would play....and where. Who knows? It could turn into a real sing along! :D You just might create a trend!

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them.

A few notes:

Anyone who thinks the Deliverance theme (with its overtones of ignorance, and, well, forcible sodomy) is bluegrass has probably never heard any bluegrass music.

Industrial metal - well, how is it possible to ride a train (on the shores of Lake Erie, for example) and hang around waiting for a train, without being exposed to the sights of metallic industry, and industrial metallic noise. By comparison, the music we play is mostly received as quite soothing.

It does make a great deal of sense to be considerate of others, of course. Which we will do. Specifically, if anyone within hearing and/or visual range expresses displeasure with our music, you may be sure we'll stop. One does not play casual music in public for a few decades without learning this.

Anyone who rides the train for complete privacy, that is, no exposure to the personalities of others, would be far better off riding the airplane, where no one talks to one another, nor looks others in the eye. One of the most frequent comments I hear about riding trains is, how nice it is to meet folks. And putting up with people's loud cell-phone conversations pretty much constantly seems to go with the turf too. I can live with it, and if not, I'll politely ask them to tone it down or stop. I welcome the same communication regarding the music.

Best,

David

Well, the Cafe attendant can deny the musicians to perform. As I mentioned before, the appropriate time to play would be at night, when the scenery is turned off for the evening, and least intrusive on anyone. Certainly a first come, first serve. Otherwise, make it official and a scheduled performance on board. Frankly, though, in scheduled performances, the music should match the location of the train. Bluegrass in the SE is appropriate. Zydeco & Jazz is great for New Orleans. In the upper midwest, the Amish may have a wonderful tune to share. John Denver in...Denver. In the NE...Well...I don't know. In California, some more contemporary, etc etc etc.

The discussion of music is extremely emotional. Music can elicit a response that can be even more poignant than religion and politics, in both good and not so good.

The discussion of music is extremely emotional. Music can elicit a response that can be even more poignant than religion and politics, in both good and not so good.
This is true. I work customer service for a local Classical Station, OK it is number 2 public radio in the country, and we have callers for instance, "play more choral and sacred music," they say. We start to work in that request and they it is, "play less choral and sacred music." As our programming directors says, "we just can't win."

Count me amongst the folks who would enjoy listening to (most) musicians while riding the rails. Good thing, though, the Cafe isn't right next to the sleeping car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back