My 24 Hour visit to Dublin…

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer

With the lockdowns and Covid travel problems over the last two years, I have only recently started to think about any foreign travel.

I enjoyed a couple of week’s holiday in Spain in early February, just for a desperately needed dose of winter sunshine.

Benidorm has somewhat of a reputation in Britain as a down market resort, catering mostly to Brits who want English pubs, English food, and nothing too “foreign” on their Spanish holiday… Yes, that is exactly how it is! No surprise then for me, but it was cheap, easy Covid entry to Spain, sunny and warmer than home for a few weeks!

Trains, boats and planes.

Following on from the Spanish holiday, I wanted to try a short break abroad again, and Ireland appealed with easy Covid travel regulations between the two countries.

I enjoy the traveling almost as much as the destination, so I decided on a quick visit to Dublin, going the “long way round”, and then flying home.

Rail and Sail is available from the UK to both Holland and Ireland. Foot passengers are few and far between on ferries in these days of budget airlines, so the train and ferry companies offer very reasonably priced fares to people who can combine a train ride to the port with the ferry crossing itself. An example of regular train fares from Nottingham to Holyhead in Wales, the port for ferry embarkation, costs almost £70, while the rail sail fare for the trip from Nottingham to Dublin, via Holyhead, including the ferry is only £45!

I awoke in good time on Tuesday 1st March, and after the usual last minute re-packing of my bag, I was good to go. I was pleased to see the day was bright and sunny, I had been a little apprehensive about the weather for the sea crossing, given the two big storms to hit the UK a few days before.

Local bus into Nottingham, and a short walk to the station. Too early to use my free bus and tram pass! Lots of shops closed, “out of business”, from the Covid issues mostly.

I already had several food items in my bag, but bought a large bottle of water from a shop near the station. It always amuses me that a 2 Litre bottle costs only 50p, where as a small bottle a third the size with a “sports cap” will cost 90p…

Large latte coffee from the kiosk at the station and I was ready to face the world.

I usually opt for print at home tickets via email, but these rail sail ones had to be collected from a machine at the station, similar to Amtrak Quick Track machines.

My ticket did not open the automatic gates to the platforms, a rail employee used their pass to open it for me, saying “The rail sail tickets never work in the gates”.

IMG_20220301_081048.jpg
My East Midlands train arriving from Newark.

Train is on time, departing at 8.16 am, and not at all busy, probably less than 50 % full at any time. This train will take me from Nottingham, via Derby, to Crewe, where I need to change from the East Midlands Railway train to an Avanti West Coast train to Holyhead.

I pass the time at Crewe station with a nice cup of hot chocolate, and the Avanti train arrives on time.

IMG_20220301_105054.jpg

This train consists of 8 coaches, and once again is only about 50% full. The train is divided at Chester, with only the first four coaches continuing on to Holyhead. There is a buffet car on the train, but I am satisfied with my snacks from home. On board purchases tend to be a bit pricey compared to regular shops, the same the world over it seems.

Once we enter Wales, the train runs along the northern coastline, and passengers get wide views of the sea from the train. A nice sunny day, blue sky, quite a boost to the overall enjoyment of my journey.

IMG_20220301_115357.jpg

We arrive into Holyhead station, soon after crossing the 1850 built Menai Bridge.

Only about 25 passengers alight here at the terminus, and walk a few hundred meters through the station to the ferry check in desks. The station is undergoing renovation, so it was looking a bit shabby, which is a shame to see when one is excited by the next stage of the trip.

There are a choice of two ferry operators across to Dublin from here, Stena, and Irish Ferries. Both offer rail and sail, and prices and departures are similar for both. The foot passenger trade is minimal, with the main business being car and lorry traffic.

IMG_20220301_130048.jpg

My passport and ticket were examined at Holyhead, and luggage put through an airport type scanner, but with only 25 passengers, it was a quick operation. We sit and wait for a few minutes, then board a shuttle bus to the ferry itself.

My ferry was the Ulysses, an Irish Ferries ship. Huge vessel, very smooth crossing, no hint of turbulence from the waves at all. There are cabins available for the crossing, but at only 3.5 hours duration, and in day time, there were few takers, just a few of the heavy lorry drivers who snatched a bit of rest in comfort.

IMG_20220301_144608.jpg

Few of any sort of passengers seen at all for the crossing, a very light load by all accounts.

There had been some alterations to the bus service that connects the ferry port to Dublin city itself. Advice before I set off was that one should buy tickets on the ferry for the connecting bus, as they are not available to buy on the bus. I asked when I was aboard the ferry, but they said no, buy it on the bus…

Docked on time, a very quick 5 second glance at the passport, no interest in my locator forms or vaccination status, and I am in Ireland.

I walk out of the exit and find a Nolans bus at the kerb. I ask if he goes to Connolly station and the driver confirms that is the destination. “When do you go”? In about 3 minutes! “How much”? It’s a free shuttle service he says… Shame the ferry staff did not know about it, and a shame it left so quickly, I was one of the first to exit, I am sure other passengers would have boarded if he had waited 5 more minutes. The same bus was due to return to the ferry port to connect with the Stena ferry an hour later, so given the time of day, Dublin rush hour traffic, it didn’t leave much time for delay.

From Connolly station, a walk along Talbot Street brings me to the famous O’ Connell Street, scene of the 1916 Easter Uprising, and where my hotel is located.

IMG_20220301_191156.jpg
James Joyce statue.

This being a flying visit, one night only, I treated myself to the Gresham Hotel, one of the top Dublin hotels. My parents, both Irish, had met in London at an Irish dance hall, also called The Gresham, so it felt appropriate in some way to stay at this hotel tonight.

Dark by now, I took a short walk around the streets nearby after checking in to the hotel, and soon found myself in a pub with a pint or two of Guinness. And so a slightly wobbly man had a good sleep later that night!

Full cooked Irish breakfast next morning, including black pudding, something I have not tasted since childhood. All very nicely cooked.

IMG_20220302_104558.jpg

Checking out, I walked round the corner to the LUAS tram stop, and bought an all day pass, this was just over 7 euros.

Today was more traditional Irish weather, a fine soft day as they describe a grey wet day in Dublin! I decided to visit indoor places today, and went to look around the Irish Museum for several hours. Interesting building, with tiled embellishments around many of the doors.

IMG_20220302_122934.jpg

A relaxed, Irish vibe to the place, free to enter, no nonsense with difficulties about carrying my bag inside, and interesting displays of early pottery, cairn tomb finds, gold ornaments, and early religious finds.

I often like to just ride around places on the local public transport, so that was what I did after the museum visit, making use of the tram ticket to go about the system.

A photo or two of the River Liffey, and it was soon time to think about getting to the airport. An airport coach service operates from O’ Connell Street, so that was an easy option at a cost of 8 euros, only one penny more expensive than my flight from Dublin back to Nottingham East Midlands airport!

Yes, you have probably guessed it, I flew home on Ryanair, the no frills budget Irish carrier.

A range of prices are available, I had only a small bag, it was less than an hour flight, and so I booked the ultra basic, ultra cheap option at only 7.99 euros.

No complaints at all at that price, it did all that was required.

No formalities at East Midlands airport, and a free ride back to Nottingham courtesy of my senior bus pass and the trip was over.

Funny to be “going abroad” one morning, and be back home again by the next evening. Something I imagine might happen again soon, with the resumption of the ferry service from Newcastle to Holland recently…

Attachments

• IMG_20220301_191211.jpg
    IMG_20220301_191211.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
This brings back old and pleasant memories....

I have spent many weeks in Dublin in the '90s and early '00s at technical meetings. Many friends there including the guy who used to be the CEO of Iona Technologies before Sun Microsystems acquired them, that was before Sun itself got acquired by Oracle.

We used to stay in hotels around Trinity College since all the techie stuff happened at Trinity College. This was way before LUAS, but the bus system still worked fine as did DART. Couple of times my hotel was a short walk from the Pearse Station, and of course I rode up and down on DART. It was also not too far from the Temple Bar area, which used to be our usual evening hangout.

Posts like this remind me of something an Indian coworker said many years ago. It was a comment wondering why we do not enjoy our roads with pride and gusto. From my perspective roads were mostly associated with long and boring commutes, so this comment made little sense at the time, but posts like yours give me a bit of insight into what he may have meant. When I read stories like this I wish I was surrounded by such varied places to visit and many options to reach them. Recently I've become hooked on videos of Japanese ferries because there is nothing like that where I live but they show few other passengers because it's just not that appealing to Japanese people.

Full cooked Irish breakfast next morning, including black pudding, something I have not tasted since childhood. All very nicely cooked.
How does an Irish breakfast differ from an English breakfast?

Yes, you have probably guessed it, I flew home on Ryanair, the no frills budget Irish carrier. A range of prices are available, I had only a small bag, it was less than an hour flight, and so I booked the ultra basic, ultra cheap option at only 7.99 euros. No complaints at all at that price, it did all that was required.
Some day in the future all airlines will be some version Ryanair with complaint forms that start at 1 euro and climb to 500 euros near the end of a long haul flight. 😅

Last edited:
I enjoyed the trip as well! I am intrigued by the ferry from Newcastle to Holland. I once took a ferry from Stavanger to Newcastle. What with chunnels and planes, I wonder if Newcastle is now more of a ferry terminus than Dover?
I think the Newcastle route mainly serves the north of England, I doubt if it has more traffic compared to Dover. There are also links from East Anglia, I took the rail sail option from Harwich to the Hook of Holland a few years ago.

Last edited:
We are taking the Queen Mary 2 over in August, and flying home. We will be taking a train to York, home of the British RR museum. But first...train to Florida in 2 weeks.
Nice! I took the QM2 over to New York a few years ago.
Do be aware that the York Rail museum does require visitors to pre-book a time slot to visit, although the entry is free of charge.
This may alter, it has been a Covid measure. Also it was closed on a Monday last time I was in York.

Mainly the addition of black pudding and soda bread, but otherwise very similar. Funny enough, a Scottish fried breakfast is the same, but features a flat square "sausage" rather than the cylindrical English ones!
Thank you caravanman for your detailed post.

We toured Ireland, England and Scotland in 1999 after travelling from Australia via Emirates Airline.

One of the reasons for visiting Scotland was to see The Edinburgh Military Tattoo. We hired a car, drove around Ireland, flew back to England and then drove up to Scotland, my only regret was not taking the Caledonian Sleeper (Highlander) from London to Scotland.

On the subject of breakfasts, the Irish B&B Breakfasts are legendary and include black pudding; in Scotland I enjoyed the Scottish Sausage but couldn't handle the haggis.

The following postcard I obtained from Ireland sums it up nicely,

Attachments

• IrishBreakfast.jpg
    IrishBreakfast.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 14

With the lockdowns and Covid travel problems over the last two years, I have only recently started to think about any foreign travel.

I enjoyed a couple of week’s holiday in Spain in early February, just for a desperately needed dose of winter sunshine.

Benidorm has somewhat of a reputation in Britain as a down market resort, catering mostly to Brits who want English pubs, English food, and nothing too “foreign” on their Spanish holiday… Yes, that is exactly how it is! No surprise then for me, but it was cheap, easy Covid entry to Spain, sunny and warmer than home for a few weeks!

Trains, boats and planes.

Following on from the Spanish holiday, I wanted to try a short break abroad again, and Ireland appealed with easy Covid travel regulations between the two countries.

I enjoy the traveling almost as much as the destination, so I decided on a quick visit to Dublin, going the “long way round”, and then flying home.

Rail and Sail is available from the UK to both Holland and Ireland. Foot passengers are few and far between on ferries in these days of budget airlines, so the train and ferry companies offer very reasonably priced fares to people who can combine a train ride to the port with the ferry crossing itself. An example of regular train fares from Nottingham to Holyhead in Wales, the port for ferry embarkation, costs almost £70, while the rail sail fare for the trip from Nottingham to Dublin, via Holyhead, including the ferry is only £45!

I awoke in good time on Tuesday 1st March, and after the usual last minute re-packing of my bag, I was good to go. I was pleased to see the day was bright and sunny, I had been a little apprehensive about the weather for the sea crossing, given the two big storms to hit the UK a few days before.

Local bus into Nottingham, and a short walk to the station. Too early to use my free bus and tram pass! Lots of shops closed, “out of business”, from the Covid issues mostly.

I already had several food items in my bag, but bought a large bottle of water from a shop near the station. It always amuses me that a 2 Litre bottle costs only 50p, where as a small bottle a third the size with a “sports cap” will cost 90p…

Large latte coffee from the kiosk at the station and I was ready to face the world.

I usually opt for print at home tickets via email, but these rail sail ones had to be collected from a machine at the station, similar to Amtrak Quick Track machines.

My ticket did not open the automatic gates to the platforms, a rail employee used their pass to open it for me, saying “The rail sail tickets never work in the gates”.

View attachment 27429
My East Midlands train arriving from Newark.

Train is on time, departing at 8.16 am, and not at all busy, probably less than 50 % full at any time. This train will take me from Nottingham, via Derby, to Crewe, where I need to change from the East Midlands Railway train to an Avanti West Coast train to Holyhead.

I pass the time at Crewe station with a nice cup of hot chocolate, and the Avanti train arrives on time.

View attachment 27430

This train consists of 8 coaches, and once again is only about 50% full. The train is divided at Chester, with only the first four coaches continuing on to Holyhead. There is a buffet car on the train, but I am satisfied with my snacks from home. On board purchases tend to be a bit pricey compared to regular shops, the same the world over it seems.

Once we enter Wales, the train runs along the northern coastline, and passengers get wide views of the sea from the train. A nice sunny day, blue sky, quite a boost to the overall enjoyment of my journey.

View attachment 27431

We arrive into Holyhead station, soon after crossing the 1850 built Menai Bridge.

Only about 25 passengers alight here at the terminus, and walk a few hundred meters through the station to the ferry check in desks. The station is undergoing renovation, so it was looking a bit shabby, which is a shame to see when one is excited by the next stage of the trip.

There are a choice of two ferry operators across to Dublin from here, Stena, and Irish Ferries. Both offer rail and sail, and prices and departures are similar for both. The foot passenger trade is minimal, with the main business being car and lorry traffic.

View attachment 27432

My passport and ticket were examined at Holyhead, and luggage put through an airport type scanner, but with only 25 passengers, it was a quick operation. We sit and wait for a few minutes, then board a shuttle bus to the ferry itself.

My ferry was the Ulysses, an Irish Ferries ship. Huge vessel, very smooth crossing, no hint of turbulence from the waves at all. There are cabins available for the crossing, but at only 3.5 hours duration, and in day time, there were few takers, just a few of the heavy lorry drivers who snatched a bit of rest in comfort.

View attachment 27433

Few of any sort of passengers seen at all for the crossing, a very light load by all accounts.

There had been some alterations to the bus service that connects the ferry port to Dublin city itself. Advice before I set off was that one should buy tickets on the ferry for the connecting bus, as they are not available to buy on the bus. I asked when I was aboard the ferry, but they said no, buy it on the bus…

Docked on time, a very quick 5 second glance at the passport, no interest in my locator forms or vaccination status, and I am in Ireland.

I walk out of the exit and find a Nolans bus at the kerb. I ask if he goes to Connolly station and the driver confirms that is the destination. “When do you go”? In about 3 minutes! “How much”? It’s a free shuttle service he says… Shame the ferry staff did not know about it, and a shame it left so quickly, I was one of the first to exit, I am sure other passengers would have boarded if he had waited 5 more minutes. The same bus was due to return to the ferry port to connect with the Stena ferry an hour later, so given the time of day, Dublin rush hour traffic, it didn’t leave much time for delay.

From Connolly station, a walk along Talbot Street brings me to the famous O’ Connell Street, scene of the 1916 Easter Uprising, and where my hotel is located.

View attachment 27435
James Joyce statue.

This being a flying visit, one night only, I treated myself to the Gresham Hotel, one of the top Dublin hotels. My parents, both Irish, had met in London at an Irish dance hall, also called The Gresham, so it felt appropriate in some way to stay at this hotel tonight.

Dark by now, I took a short walk around the streets nearby after checking in to the hotel, and soon found myself in a pub with a pint or two of Guinness. And so a slightly wobbly man had a good sleep later that night!

View attachment 27436

Checking out, I walked round the corner to the LUAS tram stop, and bought an all day pass, this was just over 7 euros.

Today was more traditional Irish weather, a fine soft day as they describe a grey wet day in Dublin! I decided to visit indoor places today, and went to look around the Irish Museum for several hours. Interesting building, with tiled embellishments around many of the doors.

View attachment 27437

A relaxed, Irish vibe to the place, free to enter, no nonsense with difficulties about carrying my bag inside, and interesting displays of early pottery, cairn tomb finds, gold ornaments, and early religious finds.

I often like to just ride around places on the local public transport, so that was what I did after the museum visit, making use of the tram ticket to go about the system.

A photo or two of the River Liffey, and it was soon time to think about getting to the airport. An airport coach service operates from O’ Connell Street, so that was an easy option at a cost of 8 euros, only one penny more expensive than my flight from Dublin back to Nottingham East Midlands airport!

Yes, you have probably guessed it, I flew home on Ryanair, the no frills budget Irish carrier.

A range of prices are available, I had only a small bag, it was less than an hour flight, and so I booked the ultra basic, ultra cheap option at only 7.99 euros.

No complaints at all at that price, it did all that was required.

No formalities at East Midlands airport, and a free ride back to Nottingham courtesy of my senior bus pass and the trip was over.

Funny to be “going abroad” one morning, and be back home again by the next evening. Something I imagine might happen again soon, with the resumption of the ferry service from Newcastle to Holland recently…

thats excellent. my friend i talk with on echolink on EI2SIRG-R his name is Hugh EI2HI I was telling him about your trip looks amazing glad you had fun

Mainly the addition of black pudding and soda bread, but otherwise very similar. Funny enough, a Scottish fried breakfast is the same, but features a flat square "sausage" rather than the cylindrical English ones!
Funnily enough the only time I was ever offered black pudding for breakfast was at a B&B I was staying at near Battle, the town where the Battle of Hastings occurred in 1066 AD. TBH I turned it down, never having had it before and not caring for the description.

Believe it or not at the little supermarket here in rural Eastern Maine I can get Irish Bangers which seem to be a good imitation of the ones I have had in the UK, made by a local outfit in Bangor (Maine not Wales).

Sorry if I missed it but did you post anything on your Benidorm trip?

The narrow gauge line passing through Benidorm is well worth the ride and has some very scenic bits, especially on the northern bit towards Denia.

Sorry if I missed it but did you post anything on your Benidorm trip?

The narrow gauge line passing through Benidorm is well worth the ride and has some very scenic bits, especially on the northern bit towards Denia.
No, I did not write up the Benidorm visit, I didn't do much at all of interest while there. I was aware of the tram from Alicante, and did go as far as getting a timetable, but somehow just sitting in the sunshine with a beer won the day!

Back