My 40th Birthday NYC Trip- Epilogue

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snljamie0518

Service Attendant
Louis & I had a great time in NYC even with the few hiccups. We wanted to go to NYC to get our things a friend had been holding for us. I also wanted to celebrate my 40th birthday/our 15th Wedding Anniversary in the best city on Earth. We also wanted to surprise a few people, which we did. It was really hard to keep that surprise from a few people too.

We still love NYC but of course there are pros & cons to it, just like with everything else in life. If NYC wasn't so expensive to live & was more accessible, we wouldn't hesitate to move back. It can also be a noisy place & crowded. We also dont have family out there to help us if something ever happened to Louis.

What we love about NYC is there are more things to do, live TV, our friends are there & our favorite restaurants we dont have here in Aurora/Denver.

We decided to take AMTRAK to NYC because we had planned to see Louis' niece, Tamara & her family but it never happened because Tamara's husband, Walther couldn't get the day off which turned out the best thing because our train was four hours late anyway. We also love taking the train so we can see the scenery & relax. The California Zephyr was a smooth ride all the way to Chicago & from Chicago back to Denver, but the Lakeshore Limited was a bit bumpy in areas. Another reason to take the train is you dont have to go through TSA & you can take anything that isnt illegal or dangerous on the train. I will take the train over the plane anytime unless I have to take the plane.

At first we had booked a hotel in Manhattan called the RIU Plaza in Times Square. Its a new hotel but we kept looking for cheaper hotels. While Louis was looking for a cheaper hotel, I also did some research & found a cab company that specializes in taking people in wheelchairs. Once I found that, Louis found a hotel in Sunnyside, Queens on Queens Boulevard called LaQuinta Inn. We loved this hotel because it was very convenient. The bus stop was close by with one of the bus stops right across the street from the hotel. It also had a free breakfast every morning which was a continental breakfast. Yes, the room was a little tight but we managed. The hotel even provided a bench for Louis to sit on whenever he took a shower. The workers at the hotel were really nice. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Even thought we miss our friends we know they will always be there for us no matter how long distance we are. They are always welcome to visit us in Colorado too. We would love to tour them but please don't stay at a hotel at, near or close to the airport because the airport is 30 miles from where we live. We would love to see you so please don't hesitate to pay us a visit.

Stay Tuned: Thank You & Shout Outs [Acknowlegements]

Well done you for taking the train, and managing to smile when the going got tricky. Your friends will be your friends no matter where they are.

Thanks for an interesting read!

Ed.

Thank you for taking the time to "put it into words" A very enjoyable read. I am going to go out on a limb and say that pretty much everyone on this forum really wants to see everyone enjoy their travel, and even though each of us has our own likes and dislikes (hotels, restaurants, sights to see, etc.), and sometimes regional biases, everyone is aiming for the same thing, how can we help someone. Hope we did, and hope you "ride again" Now that you have rail service from the airport to downtown it's a much shorter 30 miles.....

I agree with Bob Dylan and Alice--if you can possibly make it to the Gathering this year, do so. It may be your best chance for one near your home, since they rotate them each year and the next two will be on the west coast and then back here on the east coast. (Do I have that right, Gathering experts? The east and west are always near the coasts, not far inland?)

I went to my first Gathering (in Washington, DC) last year, and it was wonderful :) . You don't have to do all the activities--you can pick and choose. You don't have to worry about thinking up topics for conversations with people (they will almost always be about trains! :p ). And you will meet a wonderful, interesting, and fascinating group of people (or some might say bunch of characters! :giggle: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back