My Amtrak Model Land.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got an MRA template which had all the measurements for track width on it, coupler height, wheel spacing, etc and most of the track is up to code. The problem with the model power is its crappy coupler set up. Its much lower then the Amfleet car it couples up to and the Model Power has that horrible mounted on the truck system so it moves as the truck moves while the Amfleet cars have their couplers mounted on the carbody so they dont move as the truck moves so it restricts the movement of the truck on the diner so it derails. The odd thing is though, I have other cars with couplers mounted on the truck that behave well with carbody mounted cars, some handle it some dont (in this case the diner doesn't)

My first Heritage Diner was a Model Power. It was not prototypically scaled to 85', the trucks were shaky, and the couplers were not even the right type. Well that went out of service do to "mechinical" failure. I then got my wonderful Walthers Dining Car in Phase IV. Though the window arrangment is not protoypical to Amtrak's Heritage car, it's still a lot better than Model Power.

AMTRAK-P42, Walthers does have a Sperry Rail Service Car, though not of Amtrak heritage, it is/was used by many railroads to ckeck for defects in the tracks.

:)

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42, Walthers does have a Sperry Rail Service Car, though not of Amtrak heritage, it is/was used by many railroads to ckeck for defects in the tracks.
:)
YAY!!!. I have been looking for this for 4 months...Guess I probably should have thought to check there website, as I am usually on it every week :lol: , o well. Thanks.

Surpisingly, I have a matching Model Power 10&6 sleeper that tracks quite well and couples fairly well to other cars. It still is much more prone to derailing then other cars, but not as prone as the diner. I think Im gonna take your method Amfleet, take them out of service and put them behind the albany shops.

Amtrak-P42, I reserved mine months ago through internet trains. One thing I'm not sure is whether it's #203 (says Walthers) or hopefully #204 (internet trains). Depending on where you go the same item (#) has a discrepency between the two.

Viewliner said:
Amtrak-P42, I reserved mine months ago through internet trains. One thing I'm not sure is whether it's #203 (says Walthers) or hopefully #204 (internet trains). Depending on where you go the same item (#) has a discrepency between the two.
I noticed that as well. I went ahead and just went for a high-stripe version, thus 163, so I would not have to worry about it.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Viewliner said:
Amtrak-P42, I reserved mine months ago through internet trains.  One thing I'm not sure is whether it's #203 (says Walthers) or hopefully #204 (internet trains).  Depending on where you go the same item (#) has a discrepency between the two.
I noticed that as well. I went ahead and just went for a high-stripe version, thus 163, so I would not have to worry about it.
I hope its #204, as it was on my train when I took the Silver Star.

I would want a lowered numbered phase V P42 (Pre number 169) with the large blue skirting band on the bottom of the loco, I think they look sharper like that.

P40Power said:
I would want a lowered numbered phase V P42 (Pre number 169) with the large blue skirting band on the bottom of the loco, I think they look sharper like that.
Me as well. I have always prefered the thick blue band on the bottom with the extra logos. Blue also happens to be my fav. color. :p

AMTRAK-P42 said:
P40Power said:
Me as well. I have always prefered the thick blue band on the bottom with the extra logos. Blue also happens to be my fav. color. :p
They're releasing #134 in that style.

I'm surprised you guys like Phase Va better than Phase Vb. I think the Phase Va units do not go could with the passenger cars because the red safety stripe is not in line with the rest of the train.

I would agree, but I really like the look of the blue on the phaseVa. I think it is really attractive. So whenever I wish for a consist :lol: , I always want #168, and #207 (My fav.).

For those that don't know I did get my first of 2 Phase V P-42's (both in Vb) I really can't wait to get the other one, and really like the one I have now. In fact now my little brother wants one for his Amfleet Cafe now.

Viewliner said:
But then I'd have to either run the Auto Train with 1 P40 till October, or with Electrics. :blink:
Well the Autotrain is supposed to run with P40's, not P42's anyhow. So you are already in trouble with that one. :(

Viewliner said:
For those that don't know I did get my first of 2 Phase V P-42's (both in Vb) I really can't wait to get the other one, and really like the one I have now. In fact now my little brother wants one for his Amfleet Cafe now.
In fact now my little brother wants one for his Amfleet Cafe now.
So do we have a second railfan in training in your family? Won't be loing before we have a Viewliner Jr. roaming the boards :lol:

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
But then I'd have to either run the Auto Train with 1 P40 till October, or with Electrics. :blink:
Well the Autotrain is supposed to run with P40's, not P42's anyhow. So you are already in trouble with that one. :(
Well mine uses a P40 and a P42 (as the real one does on occasion), and the real one occasionally does use a P42 as well (mine will starting october)

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
For those that don't know I did get my first of 2 Phase V P-42's (both in Vb) I really can't wait to get the other one, and really like the one I have now.  In fact now my little brother wants one for his Amfleet Cafe now.
In fact now my little brother wants one for his Amfleet Cafe now.
So do we have a second railfan in training in your family? Won't be loing before we have a Viewliner Jr. roaming the boards :lol:
Or a Viewliner II... :lol:

Viewliner, we can work out some lease agreements and you can lease my P40 #803 for a while for your auto train!! 803 lugs my 15-18 car lake shore with ease!! :p

P40Power said:
Viewliner, we can work out some lease agreements and you can lease my P40 #803 for a while for your auto train!! 803 lugs my 15-18 car lake shore with ease!! :p
I'm planning on retiring my two P-40s (801 and 832). I will proably replace them with two P-42s in Phase V.

P40Power said:
As much as I'd love another P-40 (in Phase III, I have one), why would I lease 803 from you when it's already running my Auto Train with P-42 #184 (In Phase V) in the lead. What are you dimentions on your tables guys?

Back