My first long train trip...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
This coming august I am going to take the Amtrak Cardinal from Indianapolis IN to Trenton NJ. The trip is about 20 hours according to amtrak and I will be going on just their basic fare. This will be the longest trip on a train I have ever taken with the previous being from Chicago to Indy back in the early 90's. It will just be me traveling. My questions are:

1. I will just have one suitcase with me, are they stashed close to us?

2. If I could, could I bring a small cooler with some drinks/snacks in it on board?

3. At the stops, how long are they, can you get off and stretch you legs and such?

4. The ticket says reserved seat, but is that a set seat or just you are guarenteed a seat and can pick the one you want when you board or do you pick your seat when you order your ticket?

1. There is overhead storage. If it is a regular sized suitcase, it should fit up there no problem. If not, there is a storage rack on the lower level, right by the door where you board.

2. Sure, bring any food / non-alcoholic drinks that you would like.

3. There should be a few smoke stops, where you have maybe 10-15 minutes. MAKE SURE TO STAY CLOSE TO THE TRAIN. They will leave without you.

4. When you board, the attendant or conductor will probably assign you a seat, grouping you with others getting off at your stop.

Enjoy the trip!

1. There is overhead storage. If it is a regular sized suitcase, it should fit up there no problem. If not, there is a storage rack on the lower level, right by the door where you board.

3. There should be a few smoke stops, where you have maybe 10-15 minutes. MAKE SURE TO STAY CLOSE TO THE TRAIN. They will leave without you.

4. When you board, the attendant or conductor will probably assign you a seat, grouping you with others getting off at your stop.

Enjoy the trip!
Since I am catching the train out of Indy, I am guessing that whatever passangers that are on board basically boarded in Chicago as I don't see large boarding parties in the other couple stops between Chicago and Indy, so should I have a decent shot at a window seat?

Well I am just hoping for better luck this year. Had this trip planed for last year then a train derailment outside of Indianapolis took out a bridge and stopped all service for a few months while they rebuilt the bridge...of course during the time I was planning on going.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoy the trip!
The Cardinal is a single level train, so no luggage rack on the lower level as there is no lower level. Most luggage will fit in the overhead bin, if not there is often room at the end of the car.

You may bring on food and drink and cooler.

I don't believe that they have assigned seating on the Cardinal, you may be directed to a certain car, but probably not have assigned seats. I would think you may have a shot at a window seat that close to Chicago but I guess it will all depend on how full the train is.

That bridge outage also foiled my plans for the Cardinal last year, but I will be boarding the Card next week for a trip to Chicago and then onwards.

Hope you have a good trip.

Suggestion for Moderators: Considering how often we see these almost-identical "My First Amtrak Trip.. What to expect? How will it be? What should I do and not do?" threads being started by newbies (which is a good thing, because it shows how many people who have never taken Amtrak previously are now giving it a shot!), is it possible for someone to compile all general answers, one set for Viewliners and one set for Superliners and pin it up at the top of Amtrak Rail Discussion forum for the benefit for everyone?

Since I am catching the train out of Indy, I am guessing that whatever passangers that are on board basically boarded in Chicago as I don't see large boarding parties in the other couple stops between Chicago and Indy, so should I have a decent shot at a window seat?

Well I am just hoping for better luck this year. Had this trip planed for last year then a train derailment outside of Indianapolis took out a bridge and stopped all service for a few months while they rebuilt the bridge...of course during the time I was planning on going.
You should be okay getting a window seat. The Cardinal isn't that crowded, and it loses some pax at Indy, too. The car shortage with the Card is the sleepers, not the coaches, AFAIK.

Also, you would be ill-advised to bring a full-size cooler, because it would impede your legroom or the space of others. I don't think you can fit a cooler on the overhead racks.

To see the interior of your railcar, just search for Amfleet II (NOT JUST AMFLEET) Interior. There should be plenty of pictures out there.

Suggestion for Moderators: Considering how often we see these almost-identical "My First Amtrak Trip.. What to expect? How will it be? What should I do and not do?" threads being started by newbies (which is a good thing, because it shows how many people who have never taken Amtrak previously are now giving it a shot!), is it possible for someone to compile all general answers, one set for Viewliners and one set for Superliners and pin it up at the top of Amtrak Rail Discussion forum for the benefit for everyone?
We've dedicated an entire forum for that. What more would you like? :unsure:

We've dedicated an entire forum for that. What more would you like? :unsure:
Maybe a sticky at the top of this forum pointing to the other one? People, including myself, probably don't notice the other one when we first come to this website as is the first one we see and we think it's where we will find our answers.

Looks like we have a volunteer to do the work needed? :p

I roamed that other forum when I first came here but because of the age of the threads worried that they might be too out of date to be useful.

You will find the overhead space to be more than sufficient to stow your rolling suitcase, and a larger one than what you could take on a flight. I recommend in addition to your suitcase, taking either a backpack (not the huge kind) or a shoulder tote. The backpack or tote can maybe fit under the seat in front of you, or on the overhead rack next to your suitcase. In this you can keep a few sundry items, toiletries, and instead of a cooler, pack one or two of the flexible, insulated lunch type containers. This will accommodate several sandwiches, fruits, etc. and nonalcoholic drinks. You can't bring your own alcohol, though, must be bought from cafe.

My suitcase so to speak will be basically pretty small as I am flying back from my trip east so as to not have HUGE expenses for luggage. As for a "cooler" I was thinking either very small or one that I will just leave at my friends place. More looking at holding soda's and such and a few snacks.

Since seats are not reserved, how do you get up and move around and not have someone take your seat? Also I read on the amtrak website that there are electrical outlets near each seat? How close are they as I plan on bringing my charger for my smart phone and such.

Enjoy the trip!
The Cardinal is a single level train, so no luggage rack on the lower level as there is no lower level. Most luggage will fit in the overhead bin, if not there is often room at the end of the car.

I don't believe that they have assigned seating on the Cardinal, you may be directed to a certain car, but probably not have assigned seats. I would think you may have a shot at a window seat that close to Chicago but I guess it will all depend on how full the train is.

That bridge outage also foiled my plans for the Cardinal last year, but I will be boarding the Card next week for a trip to Chicago and then onwards.

I got lucky last year as I was just about to buy my ticket when the bridge accident happened. I would have had to hassle with getting a refund and all which I avoided.

My suitcase so to speak will be basically pretty small as I am flying back from my trip east so as to not have HUGE expenses for luggage. As for a "cooler" I was thinking either very small or one that I will just leave at my friends place. More looking at holding soda's and such and a few snacks.

Since seats are not reserved, how do you get up and move around and not have someone take your seat? Also I read on the amtrak website that there are electrical outlets near each seat? How close are they as I plan on bringing my charger for my smart phone and such.
When you're seated after boarding and the conductor takes your ticket, s/he will put the stub on the overhead to indicate that someone is sitting in your seat. So when you get up and move around, your seat is "saved". If you decide to change seats, make sure you take your stub with you (and always ask the coach attendant if you can change seats first).

Most of the trains now have outlets at the seats. Probably on the wall under the window, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy the trip!

I got lucky last year as I was just about to buy my ticket when the bridge accident happened. I would have had to hassle with getting a refund and all which I avoided.
They just rerouted me from the Cardinal to the Capitol Ltd, so I still got there I just went a round-about way. It would have been no problem to get a refund, though, if needed. Amtrak seems pretty easy to work with in that respect.

Actually, I think it is a good thing for these types of threads to pop up once in a while....New people get much more response here than anywhere else, and I usually pick up a tidbit or two myself from them.....no harm, no foul here....
tongue.gif

The situation with electrical outlets has greatly improved, if Amtrak says your train will have them, I wouldn't worry. The Michigan services frequently didn't have outlets before but on my last 2 trips to/from Chicago, all cars had them.

As far as your seat being taken, that will never happen. Once the conductor attaches that slip of paper to the rack above you, that is your seat. I've never seen anyone even attempt to take someone else's coach seat. If that did happen the conductor would quickly sort that situation out for you :)

This may be a silly question, but besides the food cars, is there a place to get some water or even ice or do you have to buy if from the food cars?

there are water dispenser things, but i've never used them. They will give you a cup of ice....i would bring some bottled water......

My train leaves out around 11:58pm, how soon should I arrive? The station in Indy is shared with Greyhound so it's inclosed and not to bad. Also is there a place on line where I can track how my train is doing time wise? It leaves out Chicago around 6pm, and if it is runing behind I don't want to sit for hours...

My train leaves out around 11:58pm, how soon should I arrive? The station in Indy is shared with Greyhound so it's inclosed and not to bad. Also is there a place on line where I can track how my train is doing time wise? It leaves out Chicago around 6pm, and if it is runing behind I don't want to sit for hours...
I would plan on arriving around 11:20pm. Accoding to Amtrak Delays, the eastbound Cardinal often rolls into IND early, around 11:30-11:35pm, so, if you're lucky, you might be able to board well before the scheduled departure time. However, it *is* sometimes late, so it's important to track its status before heading to the station. You can do it on amtrak.com, on Amtrak Status Maps, by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL, and there's even a texting service that one of the members here set up.

By the way, this page has a lot of info on the Cardinal, including schedule (useful for planning smoke stops), menus, route guide, etc.: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652448

I would plan on arriving around 11:20pm. Accoding to Amtrak Delays, the eastbound Cardinal often rolls into IND early, around 11:30-11:35pm, so, if you're lucky, you might be able to board well before the scheduled departure time.
Something which is obvious to us "old hands", but may not be so to a newbie: The train may ARRIVE early, but it will never DEPART before the stated time (unless you are at one of the handful of stops which are marked with an "L" in the timetable). Now if you are checking baggage, you are best advised to be there 45 min-1 hour early (30 minutes minimum), but if you are not checking luggage then you just need to be sure that you are on that platform ready to board before the departure time.

I would plan on arriving around 11:20pm. Accoding to Amtrak Delays, the eastbound Cardinal often rolls into IND early, around 11:30-11:35pm, so, if you're lucky, you might be able to board well before the scheduled departure time. However, it *is* sometimes late, so it's important to track its status before heading to the station. You can do it on amtrak.com, on Amtrak Status Maps, by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL, and there's even a texting service that one of the members here set up.

By the way, this page has a lot of info on the Cardinal, including schedule (useful for planning smoke stops), menus, route guide, etc.: http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241245652448
thanks for the web sites, have them saved in my phone now.

If a train falls behind schedule, how or does it make that time up?

Actually, I think it is a good thing for these types of threads to pop up once in a while....New people get much more response here than anywhere else, and I usually pick up a tidbit or two myself from them.....no harm, no foul here....
tongue.gif
Agreed - I hardly ever look at other parts of the forum, except now and then the AGR part - and people seem eager to respond to newbies - I don't find them any more of a nuisance than the continual use of arcane terminology and acronyms which I often find puzzling even though i have ridden trains for years, and have been on this forum for a good while too...

By the way, this page has a lot of info on the Cardinal, including schedule (useful for planning smoke stops), menus, route guide, etc.: http://www.amtrak.co...d=1241245652448
thanks for the web sites, have them saved in my phone now.

If a train falls behind schedule, how or does it make that time up?
There is "padding" built into the schedules in places, often a train will make up an hour or more between widely separated stops...in particular I have noticed that on the Lake Shore Limited Eastbound between Springfield and Boston ... as well on several of the Western routes I have ridden on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back